Engine Whine Caravan 3.3

Old October 8th 09, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

Default Engine Whine Caravan 3.3

I noticed a low frequency whine the last couple of times after exiting
the highway. The whine is loudest after exiting the off ramp then
slowly dissipates in normal city traffic speeds in about 15 minutes.
The whine is RPM dependent. Any ideas?
Old October 20th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Wesley

Are you sure it's not the power steering pump? The one in my 02 Voyager is
pretty noisy...and it only has 58k miles on it. It is most noticeable after
coming to a stop after about 2.5 miles from home after running at 55mph on a
cold morning. As it warms more it seems to go away. If you are at a stop
when you are hearing the noise and turn the wheel just slightly, does the
wine sound lounder and more like a groan?

Wesley

Old November 8th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

On Oct 19, 6:41*pm, "Wesley" > wrote:
> Are you sure it's not thepowersteeringpump? *The one in my 02 Voyager is
> pretty noisy...and it only has 58k miles on it. *It is most noticeable after
> coming to a stop after about 2.5 miles from home after running at 55mph on a
> cold morning. *As it warms more it seems to go away. *If you are at a stop
> when you are hearing the noise and turn the wheel just slightly, does the
> wine sound lounder and more like a groan?
>
> Wesley
>
> "dprkk" > wrote in message

> > I noticed a low frequencywhinethe last couple of times after exiting
> > the highway. Thewhineis loudest after exiting the off ramp then
> > slowly dissipates in normal city traffic speeds in about 15 minutes.
> > Thewhineis RPM dependent. Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

It definitely is the power steering pump. Got off the highway the
other day and came up to a stop light. The low frequency rpm dependent
whine was there. I happened to turn the wheel and the whine changed
with every turn of the wheel. I'm glad I know what it is; now is this
a sign of the pump going south? The 2006 caravan is pretty tight. It
might be a nightmare getting it out. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old November 8th 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

dprkk wrote:
> On Oct 19, 6:41 pm, "Wesley" > wrote:
>> Are you sure it's not thepowersteeringpump? The one in my 02 Voyager is
>> pretty noisy...and it only has 58k miles on it. It is most noticeable after
>> coming to a stop after about 2.5 miles from home after running at 55mph on a
>> cold morning. As it warms more it seems to go away. If you are at a stop
>> when you are hearing the noise and turn the wheel just slightly, does the
>> wine sound lounder and more like a groan?
>>
>> Wesley
>>
>> "dprkk" > wrote in message

>>> I noticed a low frequencywhinethe last couple of times after exiting
>>> the highway. Thewhineis loudest after exiting the off ramp then
>>> slowly dissipates in normal city traffic speeds in about 15 minutes.
>>> Thewhineis RPM dependent. Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

> It definitely is the power steering pump. Got off the highway the
> other day and came up to a stop light. The low frequency rpm dependent
> whine was there. I happened to turn the wheel and the whine changed
> with every turn of the wheel. I'm glad I know what it is; now is this
> a sign of the pump going south? The 2006 caravan is pretty tight. It
> might be a nightmare getting it out. Thanks for your suggestion.

Try changing the p.s. fluid - especially if it came from the factory
with something other than ATF+4 and is now Ok'd for use with ATF+4 (see
below). If that is the case, no guarantees, but this would not be the
first time I would have read of replacing the fluid and switching to
ATF+4 solving a noisy p.s. pump problem.

Check out TSB No. 19-005-03. It tells what fluid came in what years of
Chrysler vehicles, and which ones are now recommended for ATF+4 as the
service fluid - or if you post what year your Caravan is and what the
build date is, I'll tell you what the TSB says about it.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 9th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

On Nov 8, 9:02*am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> dprkk wrote:
> > On Oct 19, 6:41 pm, "Wesley" > wrote:
> >> Are you sure it's not thepowersteeringpump? *The one in my 02 Voyager is
> >> pretty noisy...and it only has 58k miles on it. *It is most noticeable after
> >> coming to a stop after about 2.5 miles from home after running at 55mph on a
> >> cold morning. *As it warms more it seems to go away. *If you are at a stop
> >> when you are hearing the noise and turn the wheel just slightly, does the
> >> wine sound lounder and more like a groan?

> >> Wesley

> > It definitely is the power steering pump. Got off the highway the
> > other day and came up to a stop light. The low frequency rpm dependent
> >whinewas there. I happened to turn the wheel and thewhinechanged
> > with every turn of the wheel. I'm glad I know what it is; now is this
> > a sign of the pump going south? The 2006 caravan is pretty tight. It
> > might be a nightmare getting it out. Thanks for your suggestion.

> Try changing thep.s.fluid - especially if it came from the factory
> with something other than ATF+4 and is now Ok'd for use with ATF+4 (see
> below). *If that is the case, no guarantees, but this would not be the
> first time I would have read of replacing the fluid and switching to
> ATF+4 solving a noisyp.s.pump problem.
>
> Check out TSB No. 19-005-03. *It tells what fluid came in what years of
> Chrysler vehicles, and which ones are now recommended for ATF+4 as the
> service fluid - or if you post what year your Caravan is and what the
> build date is, I'll tell you what the TSB says about it.
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')- Hide quoted text -

Hi Bill,

It is a 2006 Caravan; manufacture date 04-06. I spoke with a friend
today who mentioned that there was a problem with the PS resovoir
itself. Something about a filter that would get clogged. I don't know
if there is any truth to this though.

Ken
Old November 9th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

dprkk wrote:
> On Nov 8, 9:02 am, Bill Putney > wrote:

>> Try changing thep.s.fluid - especially if it came from the factory
>> with something other than ATF+4 and is now Ok'd for use with ATF+4 (see
>> below). If that is the case, no guarantees, but this would not be the
>> first time I would have read of replacing the fluid and switching to
>> ATF+4 solving a noisyp.s.pump problem.
>>
>> Check out TSB No. 19-005-03. It tells what fluid came in what years of
>> Chrysler vehicles, and which ones are now recommended for ATF+4 as the
>> service fluid - or if you post what year your Caravan is and what the
>> build date is, I'll tell you what the TSB says about it.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Putney
>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>> address with the letter 'x')- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Bill,
>
> It is a 2006 Caravan; manufacture date 04-06. I spoke with a friend
> today who mentioned that there was a problem with the PS resovoir
> itself. Something about a filter that would get clogged. I don't know
> if there is any truth to this though.
>
> Ken

Oh - 2006 - definitely came with ATF+4, which of course is the service
fluid for it too. Is he saying that the problem with the
reservoir/filter is a common problem with those, or did he look at yours
and say that he sees that problem on yours?

Is there any warranty left?

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 10th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

On Nov 9, 5:57*pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
> dprkk wrote:
> > On Nov 8, 9:02 am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> >> Try changing thep.s.fluid - especially if it came from the factory
> >> with something other than ATF+4 and is now Ok'd for use with ATF+4 (see
> >> below). *If that is the case, no guarantees, but this would not be the
> >> first time I would have read of replacing the fluid and switching to
> >> ATF+4 solving a noisyp.s.pump problem.

> >> Check out TSB No. 19-005-03. *It tells what fluid came in what years of
> >> Chrysler vehicles, and which ones are now recommended for ATF+4 as the
> >> service fluid - or if you post what year your Caravan is and what the
> >> build date is, I'll tell you what the TSB says about it.

> >> --
> >> Bill Putney
> >> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> >> address with the letter 'x')- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi Bill,

> > It is a 2006 Caravan; manufacture date 04-06. I spoke with a friend
> > today who mentioned that there was a problem with thePSresovoir
> > itself. Something about a filter that would get clogged. I don't know
> > if there is any truth to this though.

> > Ken

> Oh - 2006 - definitely came with ATF+4, which of course is the service
> fluid for it too. *Is he saying that the problem with the
> reservoir/filter is a common problem with those, or did he look at yours
> and say that he sees that problem on yours?
>
> Is there any warranty left?
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')- Hide quoted text -

He mentioned that the reservoir/filter was a common problem with his
03 Caravan. I assume that this would have been fixed by 2006. No
warranty left. I'll just keep an eye on it and wait till it gets a
little worse. Will research how to take it out and put it back
successfully.
Old November 11th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Wesley

Please keep us posted...at least me. :-) I've got an 02 Voyager with the
same symptoms. I've been corresponding with Bill off list and he suggested
changing the fluid, which I think I'm going to try - unless you find out
something more about this filter.

Thanks,

Wesley

Old November 11th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

I've got R and R instructions for the pump but its for a 2004 with 3.8 so
I'm not sure its the same..........

"Wesley" > wrote in message
> Please keep us posted...at least me. :-) I've got an 02 Voyager with the
> same symptoms. I've been corresponding with Bill off list and he
> suggested
> changing the fluid, which I think I'm going to try - unless you find out
> something more about this filter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wesley
>

> "dprkk" > wrote in message
>
> He mentioned that the reservoir/filter was a common problem with his
> 03 Caravan. I assume that this would have been fixed by 2006. No
> warranty left. I'll just keep an eye on it and wait till it gets a
> little worse. Will research how to take it out and put it back
> successfully.

Strange Whine/Screech Sound From Engine Arccos Technology 5 March 7th 07 06:45 PM
Whine from power steering in 03 Grand Caravan Mitch Dodge 0 October 24th 06 12:51 AM
1999 E34 2.5L I-6 (323i) ~3,000rpm engine whine - normal? KJ BMW 7 November 20th 05 09:15 AM
Engine Whine Hairy Ford Explorer 1 January 22nd 05 04:51 PM
5.0 Engine Whine Evan Ford Mustang 8 November 23rd 04 08:27 AM