Tire issues

Old April 24th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Default Tire issues

My '93 Accord has been exhibiting significant vibrations and even some
shimmying as of late, especially at highway speeds. The vibrations were
slight last fall, and rotating the tires did not help. When I had the
winter tires on it this past winter, the vibrations were non-existent. And
I always check the pressures once a week.

Which is more likely: One or more tires are out of balance (or are just
crap), or one or more rims are bent? The tires are Goodyear Regatta 2's and
they have about 10,000 miles on them. I don't know if the rims are the
originals or not (I bought the car used in 2000).

I've been considering new tires if these Goodyears won't balance, and I am
almost sold on the Toyo Spectrum. But has anybody ever heard of Regul
tires? My Accord had Regul Questa's when I bought it, but they were
replaced after I drove 35,000 miles on them. I remember them having good
handling, a good ride, good dry and wet traction, and they were reasonably
quiet. But I can't find much info about Regul, so I don't know if they are
good tires or if I was lucky. If they are a good make, I may consider them
again (one local tire dealer sells them).

Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 24th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:07:11 -0400, High Tech Misfit >
wrote:

>My '93 Accord has been exhibiting significant vibrations and even some
>shimmying as of late, especially at highway speeds. The vibrations were
>slight last fall, and rotating the tires did not help. When I had the
>winter tires on it this past winter, the vibrations were non-existent. And
>I always check the pressures once a week.
>
>Which is more likely: One or more tires are out of balance (or are just
>crap), or one or more rims are bent? The tires are Goodyear Regatta 2's and
>they have about 10,000 miles on them. I don't know if the rims are the
>originals or not (I bought the car used in 2000).
>
>I've been considering new tires if these Goodyears won't balance, and I am
>almost sold on the Toyo Spectrum. But has anybody ever heard of Regul
>tires? My Accord had Regul Questa's when I bought it, but they were
>replaced after I drove 35,000 miles on them. I remember them having good
>handling, a good ride, good dry and wet traction, and they were reasonably
>quiet. But I can't find much info about Regul, so I don't know if they are
>good tires or if I was lucky. If they are a good make, I may consider them
>again (one local tire dealer sells them).
>
>Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had a set of Toyo Spectrums on my '92 Accord. Quiet and good riding
tire. My set lasted close to 75K. Would have put another set on
except the local dealer that handled Toyos folded up shop.

Will be trying to find another dealer as my truck needs tires and I
still feel that Toyo makes a good tire. Had Michelins, but had too
many of them come apart in the Texas heat!
Old April 24th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

High Tech Misfit > wrote in
:

> My '93 Accord has been exhibiting significant vibrations and even some
> shimmying as of late, especially at highway speeds. The vibrations
> were slight last fall, and rotating the tires did not help. When I
> had the winter tires on it this past winter, the vibrations were
> non-existent. And I always check the pressures once a week.
>
> Which is more likely: One or more tires are out of balance (or are
> just crap), or one or more rims are bent?

Most likely they are mounted badly.

Raise tire off ground with jack. Spin by hand. Watch from front or rear
depending on tire. The tire should spin true and smooth. If it bounces or
wobbles AT ALL, it's been mounted badly.

The "bent rim" defense is a common one when the tire monkey doesn't know
what he's doing.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 25th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

TeGGeR® wrote:
> snip
>
> The "bent rim" defense is a common one when the tire monkey doesn't know
> what he's doing.

TeGGeR's right. An out of round steel wheel isn't all that uncommon but
an out of round tire is much more common. Have the tires rebalanced and
ask the tech. to check for out of round. Basically, you're looking for
a "high" spot on the circumference. It's easy to spot on a balancer
while the tire is spinning. If you find a high spot the tech has to
remount the tire. Mark both the tire and wheel for the high spot,
rotate the tire 180 degrees, remount, and check for out of round again.
If still bad, rotate another 90 degrees and check again. At some point
the tech will check the wheel (without the tire) to determine whether
or not it's been deformed beyond use.

Hondas are notoriously picky about tire/wheel balance and defects.
That's the price you pay for great steering feel.

Old April 25th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

wrote in
oups.com:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>> snip
>>
>> The "bent rim" defense is a common one when the tire monkey doesn't know
>> what he's doing.
>>

> TeGGeR's right. An out of round steel wheel isn't all that uncommon but
> an out of round tire is much more common. Have the tires rebalanced and
> ask the tech. to check for out of round. Basically, you're looking for
> a "high" spot on the circumference. It's easy to spot on a balancer
> while the tire is spinning. If you find a high spot the tech has to
> remount the tire. Mark both the tire and wheel for the high spot,
> rotate the tire 180 degrees, remount, and check for out of round again.
> If still bad, rotate another 90 degrees and check again. At some point
> the tech will check the wheel (without the tire) to determine whether
> or not it's been deformed beyond use.

Another point to note is that new tires AND wheels all come with colored
dots on them. These dots have great significance.
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires.shtml#MOUNTING

Most tire places do not use these dots, and that's a real shame. Tire
makers put those dots that specifically to aid in mounting and balancing. I
can tell you the factory most *definitely* uses the dots.

We have a special problem in that wheels in use for a long time often have
lost their dots, which makes a bit more work for the tire shop.

Old April 25th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in
:

> wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> TeGGeR® wrote:
>>> snip
>>>
>>> The "bent rim" defense is a common one when the tire monkey doesn't
>>> know what he's doing.
>>>

>> TeGGeR's right. An out of round steel wheel isn't all that uncommon
>> but an out of round tire is much more common. Have the tires
>> rebalanced and ask the tech. to check for out of round. Basically,
>> you're looking for a "high" spot on the circumference. It's easy to
>> spot on a balancer while the tire is spinning. If you find a high
>> spot the tech has to remount the tire. Mark both the tire and wheel
>> for the high spot, rotate the tire 180 degrees, remount, and check
>> for out of round again. If still bad, rotate another 90 degrees and
>> check again. At some point the tech will check the wheel (without the
>> tire) to determine whether or not it's been deformed beyond use.

> Another point to note is that new tires AND wheels all come with
> colored dots on them. These dots have great significance.

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires.shtml#MOUNTING

> Most tire places do not use these dots, and that's a real shame. Tire
> makers put those dots that specifically to aid in mounting and
> balancing. I can tell you the factory most *definitely* uses the dots.
>
> We have a special problem in that wheels in use for a long time often
> have lost their dots, which makes a bit more work for the tire shop.

I'd also suggest to readers that they take stroll through a local
dealership and check how many of the dots line up close to the valve stem.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

concord,ca police department gives people tickets that have 525lbs. in a 1 ton pu truck and when the tire load range. on ea tire is 3042lbs. blue sky Driving 2 March 19th 06 06:58 PM
tire (or what?) noise [email protected] Technology 3 November 10th 05 12:57 AM
Tire life [email protected] Chrysler 72 October 8th 05 01:47 AM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 04:42 AM
Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette - Can anyone read? Tom in Missouri Corvette 0 August 10th 04 05:30 PM