How do you store your hard top?

Old April 2nd 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default How do you store your hard top?

Agreed.

Les, all the weight of the rear of the top is resting on those two small
contact points. That could possibly cause deformation/damage in that area of
the hard top.

Tom

"billy ray" > wrote in message
> Where the top sits on those blocks might cause a problem with the weight
> being concentrated. Running a beam down the entire length would spread

the
> load.
>
> > "Les" > wrote in message
> > : Here is a link to a couple photos of how we store our top. Took it off
> > : yesterday (yayyyyyyyy, snows gone). I get on one side, son gets on

the
> > : other and we just lift it off the Jeep and set it on this rack for
> > storage.
> > : They aren't that heavy, just awkward. I'll cover it with a tarp for

the
> > : summer. One photo shows the inside of the rack has a small block at

the
> > : back edge, this keeps the top resting on the mounting flange instead

of
> > the
> > : bottom (fragile?) edge. Cost about $15 or $20 to make. All 2x3's and
> > 1x3's.
> > : Maybe use pressure treated where it sits on the ground. Hope this

helps.

Old April 3rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

There was a guy on eBay selling a top that was in 'Perfect Condition" except
the impressions from sitting crossways on a 2x4 every summer.

Old April 3rd 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
>I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's manual says
> store it flat on the floor.
>
> Is anyone using the vertical cart system?
> Any other suggestions?
> Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for it,
> we
> may just leave it up there like a pinata...
>
> Kate

I suspend mine on ropes from the garage ceiling with a pulley system that I
made. I backed the Jeep into the garage all the way and installed 4 strong
hooks in the ceiling 2 of which are exactly above the 2 center boltholes
that hold it to the Jeep and the other 2 above the front, over-the-door
section. The exactly above the 2 center boltholes ones are the ones that
really are holding it up. I hung a strong pulley on each of those 2 hooks.
Put another 2 hooks/pulleys in the ceiling by the wall. Got a strong rope
and used that to do the lifting. I ran the rope around the outside of the
top and up through the hole bottom and tied it off in an overhand knot
(inside the top), ran the other end of the rope up through the 2 pulleys and
down the wall. Installed on the wall at eye height are 2 boat chocks that
grab the ropes at stop points while I am pulling it up, and 2 cleats to tie
them off on under that. It pulls up easily and stays there. Once up I use
the other hooks to wrap another rope around the front of the top for
stability. and covered it with a blanket. Then marked the floor exactly
where I want the tires to be with spray paint, then drove out. It hangs
there out of the way and behaves.

When I want it on again I just drive under with the soft top off to the
marks and lower it down onto the Jeep. Easy as cake. I do not seem to have
any warpage as it all just fits normally when installed. I believe the
trick is to have those hooks exactly over the mounting holes. I can put it
up or down by myself (have done it with trepidation) but I absolutely prefer
having another capable person there. I suppose adding more pulleys would
make it easier to lift, but this is OK for me.

My US$0.02,
Tomes

Old April 3rd 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I've been storing the top for several summers like this with no adverse
effects. I would almost think there is a steel plate built into the mounting
flange. Wouldn't a couple of lifting eyes that fold flat built into the hard
tops be just the most awesome thing Jeep could do to them?

Old April 3rd 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have a couple of stumps out back with a 2x4 across them and a couple
of saw horses. Can't say as it's exactly flat and level, but Dawg kinda
likes fiberglass doghouse in the summer.
--
jeff

Old April 3rd 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

*reads closely*

OH ****!

LMAO!
fine, just FINE!

LOL

"twaldron" > wrote in message
:I guess you've gotta REALLY read what you wrote there...oh, never mind.
: __________________________________________________ ___________________
: 2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
:
: "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."
:
: Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940
:
: Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
: A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
: capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.
: __________________________________________________ ___________________
:
: Kate wrote:
: > WHAT???!!!!!
: >
: >
: > hey... what's THIS? .(look down here ?) I need to go look at this
methinks.
: > "twaldron" > wrote
: >
: > : Ahem......'scuse me???
: >
: > :
: > : Kate wrote:
: > :
: > : > Geeze... all this property and not a damn place to put a hard tip.
: > : >
: > : > Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
: >
: >

Old April 3rd 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks Matt for the info!

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
: You've got mail.
:
: "Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
: ...
: > Thanks!
: > Here's my addy:
: > kate at selby.ws
: >
: > "Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
: > . ..
: > : The TJ hardtop I can do myself. The rack I built uses perforated steel
: > (like
: > : what you'd use to mount a garage door opener) making two frames
attached
: > on
: > : either side of the top. The top hoists between the steel frames, and I
: > use
: > : 2x4's across the frames to support the top.
: > :
: > : send me a good email addy and I will shoot you a pic, but the hard
top
: > : isn't up there now.
: > :
: > : The vertical rack for Linda's TJL ins't here, it's in a storage
: > facility.
: > : Glass down on that one. It's kind of a pain to wrestle around with
that
: > top,
: > : just because it's longer and heavier. When we got that Jeep (purchased
: > used)
: > : it didn't have a soft top, so we ordered one from a dealer on eBay.
The
: > : Unlimited hard top is such a bear I have a good mind to sell the damn
: > thing
: > : this spring when I switch tops.
: > :
: > : No trouble with warpage, the hardtop is flexible enough that it will
: > re-fit
: > : once it is put back on.
: > :
: > : "Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > Thanks Matt..
: > : > that's what we were kind of thinking. Hubs could fabricate something
: > for
: > : > me
: > : > without all the $$$.
: > : > I have some questions though.
: > : > Do you have any trouble with warpage?
: > : > How hard is it to wrestle the top onto the storage rack?
: > : > Glass up, or down?
: > : > Any photos?
: > : >
: > : > "Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
: > : > . ..
: > : > : For my TJ, I rigged a pulley/rack system to hoist the hardtop up
in
: > the
: > : > : garage and store it out of the way. My garage ceiling is tall
enough
: > : > park
: > : > : the Jeep under it.
: > : > :
: > : > : I saw the vertical rack storage in a catalog for the wifey's
: > hardtop,
: > : > but
: > : > : couldn't justify the $$$ for some steel tubing and four wheels. So
: > : > made
: > : > my
: > : > : own rack with 2x4's and casters, probably $40 invested total.
Seems
: > : > work
: > : > : just fine.
: > : > :
: > : > : "Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
: > : > : ...
: > : > : >I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's
manual
: > says
: > : > : > store it flat on the floor.
: > : > : >

Old April 3rd 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks Tomes
There is some good stuff in there.
I am pointing Evil Sock Boy (aka hubs aka Dick) to this thread so he can
gather all this good information

"Tomes" > wrote in message
nk.net...
:

Old April 3rd 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That WOULD be pretty cool.
I know when we brought ours home and the first thing we were instructed to
do was take the top off, I became concerned.
I am not a strong person and it was all we could do to lift it off and set
it safely on the floor. There it remains.

Kate

"Les" > wrote in message
: I've been storing the top for several summers like this with no adverse
: effects. I would almost think there is a steel plate built into the
mounting
: flange. Wouldn't a couple of lifting eyes that fold flat built into the
hard
: tops be just the most awesome thing Jeep could do to them?
:
:
: ...

Old April 3rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Dang Jeff...
I just cant see myself putting that brand new top outside on a stump.

"jeff" > wrote in message
:I have a couple of stumps out back with a 2x4 across them and a couple
: of saw horses. Can't say as it's exactly flat and level, but Dawg kinda
: likes fiberglass doghouse in the summer.
: --
: jeff
:
:
: Kate wrote:
: > I am looking at all of this stuff on the web and my owner's manual says
: > store it flat on the floor.
: >
: > Is anyone using the vertical cart system?
: > Any other suggestions?
: > Hubs is getting ready to build an electric hoist and rack system for it,
we
: > may just leave it up there like a pinata...
: >
: > Kate
: >
: >

Hard brake pedal when cold [email protected] VW water cooled 1 June 23rd 05 11:45 PM
hard to start curbrider Jeep 7 June 6th 05 02:11 AM
90 FORD F150 PICKUP STARTS HARD, THEN DIES websthes Technology 1 December 26th 04 11:39 PM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM
Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156) Steven Spits Alfa Romeo 1 July 16th 04 12:02 PM