best place to find used 100hp engine

Old March 6th 05, 06:21 PM

Default best place to find used 100hp engine

I'm looking for a ready to run (all accessories) type 1 used engine for
use in testing an aircraft propeller. I would like to get 100hp at
around 3500 rpm (I'll have a gear reduction so my prop speed will be
lower).

I don't need a rebuilt engine as this will just be run on a test stand.
I'm not super familiar with all the different models of engines, etc
and what years they came on vehicles.

What specific model of engine should I look for to get this power?
Where should I look for it?

I'm familiar with www.car-parts.com but theres just gobs of options for
engines.

I would like to keep my cost down under $750 for a complete running
engine.

Also, am I going to have problems keeping it cool running it at this
RPM for long periods of time (days) and how best to do it?

Thanks folks.

Joe

Old March 10th 05, 11:18 PM
P.J. Berg

> I'm looking for a ready to run (all accessories) type 1 used engine for
> use in testing an aircraft propeller. I would like to get 100hp at
> around 3500 rpm (I'll have a gear reduction so my prop speed will be
> lower).
>
> I don't need a rebuilt engine as this will just be run on a test stand.
> I'm not super familiar with all the different models of engines, etc
> and what years they came on vehicles.
>
> What specific model of engine should I look for to get this power?
> Where should I look for it?
>
> I'm familiar with
www.car-parts.com but theres just gobs of options for
> engines.
>
> I would like to keep my cost down under $750 for a complete running
> engine.
>
> Also, am I going to have problems keeping it cool running it at this
> RPM for long periods of time (days) and how best to do it?
>
> Thanks folks.
>
> Joe

The highest output of any T1 engines where 50hp DIN, or a T3 at 54hp
DIN.If you move over to a T4 engine you could get 85hp DIN used in 412 S
and LS, or a T4"Porsche" 100hp SAE used in the 914 2L models.

J.