96 SL2 Post-repair problem

Old March 4th 05, 10:58 PM
The Real Tom

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:28:02 GMT, "Fantine" > wrote:

> Wonderful. I picked this place because it got good ratings from AAA and
>local magazines. So much for that!

Don't feel bad. I once agreed to a dealer replacing the 'valve cover
gasket' (~$100+)and less than a year later, the same dealer said I
needed the "cam cover gasket" replaced. I asked how did it fail in 6
months. They said they had no record of the cam cover gasket ever
being replaced, I say it's the same cover, just before for you guys
refered to as the valve cover. He shrugged his sholders and said,
this is no valve cover, so no gasket, I have no clue what you had done
in the past.

I refused it, and replaced it myself for 20 bucks. Plus you can guess
I didn't go back to them ever again.

Not saying you were scammed, but in the process of tracking down the
SES light, they might have noticed a leak, and rather than retorqueing
the hold downs, you got a whole new gasket.

later,

tom @ www.Love-Calculators.com

Old March 5th 05, 02:29 AM
Fantine

If I thought that the Saturn dealer would be more reliable and less likely
to pull things like this than a local repair shop, I'd drive the 40 minutes
to get there, but I'm not sure that dealers are much better. And they seem
to be more expensive.

Old March 5th 05, 03:45 PM
The Real Tom

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 01:29:57 GMT, "Fantine" > wrote:

>If I thought that the Saturn dealer would be more reliable and less likely
>to pull things like this than a local repair shop, I'd drive the 40 minutes
>to get there, but I'm not sure that dealers are much better. And they seem
>to be more expensive.

I've had good dealers, I've had bad dealer, I've had good local shops,
I had bad local shops. But.... one thing was more consistant, dealers
were always more expensive, and the worse is a bad dealer.

So, I see why more and more people forgo using the dealer after the
warrenty period is over.

later,

tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com

Old March 10th 05, 04:28 PM
Rick Murphy

Fantine wrote:
> Well, the code supposedly, IIRC, was that one of the cylinders was not
> firing, which they said was caused by the leaking oil. Does that make more
> sense?

Yes, actually, if it comes from a leaking cam cover gasket.
The oil collects in the wells surrounding the spark plugs. It's not
unusual to have an inch or more of oil collected there. Eventually you
start misfiring due to the oil shorting out the plug.
-Rick
--
Rick Murphy, K1MU/4
Email to rick will work if you use rickmurphy after the "@" and dot-net