Intrepid brake light

Old November 4th 04, 12:43 PM
Dillon Family

Default Intrepid brake light

One of the light bulbs in the third (center) brake light of my '00 Intrepid
is burnt out. Looks like I have to pull off the trim from underneath the
trunk lid to get to the bulb. Is there an "easy" way (and what is the
proper tool to use) to pull off the trim and those plastic nuts so I can get
everything back together without breaking anything? Thanks.

Old November 4th 04, 10:20 PM
maxpower

if im not mistaken isnt that just a soft cover and the lite is there i the
trunk??, 2 min max?
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old November 4th 04, 10:20 PM
maxpower

Old November 4th 04, 10:37 PM
Bill Putney

Dillon Family wrote:
> One of the light bulbs in the third (center) brake light of my '00 Intrepid
> is burnt out. Looks like I have to pull off the trim from underneath the
> trunk lid to get to the bulb. Is there an "easy" way (and what is the
> proper tool to use) to pull off the trim and those plastic nuts so I can get
> everything back together without breaking anything? Thanks.

You can buy a generic trim popper tool at the auto parts store, but it
isn't necessary. The special tool is simply a wide flat blade with a
groove in it, and a screwdrive-like handle. The groove fits under and
around the head of the retainer, and you pry it out of the hole - if
you've ever seen a dandelion digging tool, it looks a lot like that,
only wider to fully engage the head of the retainer.

Instead (unless you want to buy the tool to add to your arsemnal of
tools - it does make the removal a little less skill dependent), use a
large flat bladed screw driver to get under the head of the retainers
and gently pry and pull on them to pop them out of their holes. A wide
blade because that spreads out the forces over a large area so you don't
tear the retainer or poke holes in the trim. You just don't have the
advantage of pulling up on both sides of the head like you do with the
special tool, nut it's very do-able.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old November 4th 04, 10:37 PM