NaturalPoint TrackIR (mini-review)

Old March 9th 05, 01:12 AM
Russell

Default NaturalPoint TrackIR (mini-review)

I picked up a TrackIR3 Pro w/Vector Expansion. I checked it out with
Live For Speed (since it has native support). During the 1st lap I was
thinking about how much money I wasted. By the second lap I realized
that they were on to something really cool and it was just a matter of
getting used to it. I still have a way to go to get comfortable with
it, but the learning curve is not steep.

I tweaked their default profile and that helped. Let's say from the
left to the right side of your monitor you move your head 45 degrees
(just picking a simple number). With the default setup you can look
into the back seat as you look to the sides of the monitor. Basically
your 45 degree movement is converted to 360 degrees. That's a lot! I
changed that range to only allow me to look full left and full right (45
degrees of real movement equals 180 degrees of sim movement.) It makes
it more intuitive and less jumpy. I also made the curve of the head
turn linear (rather than increasing the further you look). That way the
speed of your head turn is matched directly on the screen. The
NaturalPoint software has a lot of flexibility.

I found that I was looking into the turns and planning for them earlier
than the built in LFS steering look does. Coming out of the corners I
needed to remember to straighten my head out to look ahead (I was used
to the program altering the view for me).

I knew I was getting into it when I tried another sim that doesn't
support TrackIR and I turned my head to look into the turn, nothing
happened and it felt odd .

I think this is another good step into more immersion into racing sims.
Sure it is a trade off, but until something better and cheaper comes
along (3d VR goggles anyone?), this is a step in the right direction.

One thing to note is that the device doesn't like bright sunlight. I
had a bit of bright sun shining through window blinds and the thing
wouldn't track. I put a towel over the blinds (just enough to diffuse
the sunlight, not block it out) and that took care of the problem.

Russell
Old March 9th 05, 01:53 AM
Mitch_A

Russell wrote:

> I picked up a TrackIR3 Pro w/Vector Expansion. I checked it out with
> Live For Speed (since it has native support). During the 1st lap I was
> thinking about how much money I wasted. By the second lap I realized
> that they were on to something really cool and it was just a matter of
> getting used to it. I still have a way to go to get comfortable with
> it, but the learning curve is not steep.
>
> I tweaked their default profile and that helped. Let's say from the
> left to the right side of your monitor you move your head 45 degrees
> (just picking a simple number). With the default setup you can look
> into the back seat as you look to the sides of the monitor. Basically
> your 45 degree movement is converted to 360 degrees. That's a lot! I
> changed that range to only allow me to look full left and full right (45
> degrees of real movement equals 180 degrees of sim movement.) It makes
> it more intuitive and less jumpy. I also made the curve of the head
> turn linear (rather than increasing the further you look). That way the
> speed of your head turn is matched directly on the screen. The
> NaturalPoint software has a lot of flexibility.
>
> I found that I was looking into the turns and planning for them earlier
> than the built in LFS steering look does. Coming out of the corners I
> needed to remember to straighten my head out to look ahead (I was used
> to the program altering the view for me).
>
> I knew I was getting into it when I tried another sim that doesn't
> support TrackIR and I turned my head to look into the turn, nothing
> happened and it felt odd .
>
> I think this is another good step into more immersion into racing sims.
> Sure it is a trade off, but until something better and cheaper comes
> along (3d VR goggles anyone?), this is a step in the right direction.
>
> One thing to note is that the device doesn't like bright sunlight. I
> had a bit of bright sun shining through window blinds and the thing
> wouldn't track. I put a towel over the blinds (just enough to diffuse
> the sunlight, not block it out) and that took care of the problem.
>
> Russell

I hadnt tried LFS but I have tried both GTR and NSR. NSR fully supports
Vector while the demo of GTR doesnt. NSR seems a better all around TIR
experience even though I prefer GTR as a game. Could be the profile I use
is more suited to NSR though. Not enough time..

While the TIR/VE work very nicely in racing sims it really shines in flight
sims. The true freedom of head movement can really only be experienced as
words cant adequately describe it

The one game that really needs the full vector/6dof support is the IL2
series and it doesnt, grrrrr. It does work great even without vector
support even though it would be nice to look around the monstrous pillars
in the sim. The P-51 while under-simulated in PF is still a beauty to look
around in with that bubble canopy and TIR.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
Old March 9th 05, 02:31 AM
BRH

Mitch_A wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>Russell

> I hadnt tried LFS but I have tried both GTR and NSR. NSR fully supports
> Vector while the demo of GTR doesnt. NSR seems a better all around TIR
> experience even though I prefer GTR as a game. Could be the profile I use
> is more suited to NSR though. Not enough time..
>
> While the TIR/VE work very nicely in racing sims it really shines in flight
> sims. The true freedom of head movement can really only be experienced as
> words cant adequately describe it
>
> The one game that really needs the full vector/6dof support is the IL2
> series and it doesnt, grrrrr. It does work great even without vector
> support even though it would be nice to look around the monstrous pillars
> in the sim. The P-51 while under-simulated in PF is still a beauty to look
> around in with that bubble canopy and TIR.

Thanks for those informative reviews. I think that I may go for one myself.

FYI, Mitch, the 1.3 patch for GTR (just out today) contains support for
Vector (according to the German readme file).

Have either of you guys tried TIR with GPL using the GPLShift utility?
GPLShift supposedly allows GPL to support TrackIR.

Bert

Old March 9th 05, 03:30 AM
Mitch_A

BRH <BRH> wrote:

> FYI, Mitch, the 1.3 patch for GTR (just out today) contains support for
> Vector (according to the German readme file).
>
> Have either of you guys tried TIR with GPL using the GPLShift utility?
> GPLShift supposedly allows GPL to support TrackIR.
>
> Bert

Excellent news Bert!

As far as GPL goes I havent tried myself but I do believe youre on the right
track with GPLShift.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
Old March 9th 05, 05:02 AM
ymenard

>"Mitch_A" > wrote
> While the TIR/VE work very nicely in racing sims it really shines in
> flight
> sims. The true freedom of head movement can really only be experienced as
> words cant adequately describe it

Yeah well somehow for racing simulations, there isn't much need for Y-axis
movements of the head. Is there any way to block the axis with something
like TrackIR during racing sims? It would give a much more precise idea
imho. We've gone ages from the bad look-ahead features of C:PR

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old March 9th 05, 08:36 PM
RodP

In article >,
Russell says...

> I picked up a TrackIR3 Pro w/Vector Expansion. I checked it out with
> Live For Speed (since it has native support). During the 1st lap I was
> thinking about how much money I wasted. By the second lap I realized
> that they were on to something really cool and it was just a matter of
> getting used to it. I still have a way to go to get comfortable with
> it, but the learning curve is not steep.

If you use flight sims, you'll really feel like you got your money's
worth.

Cheers,
Rod.
Old March 9th 05, 11:48 PM
7471000

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/games/gpl.html

JSJ

om...

Old March 10th 05, 01:23 AM
Russell

BRH wrote:
> [...]

>> sims. The true freedom of head movement can really only be
>> experienced as
>> words cant adequately describe it
>> The one game that really needs the full vector/6dof support is the IL2
>> series and it doesnt, grrrrr. It does work great even without vector
>> support even though it would be nice to look around the monstrous pillars
>> in the sim. The P-51 while under-simulated in PF is still a beauty to
>> look
>> around in with that bubble canopy and TIR.
>>
>> Mitch

> Thanks for those informative reviews. I think that I may go for one
> myself.
>
> FYI, Mitch, the 1.3 patch for GTR (just out today) contains support for
> Vector (according to the German readme file).
>
> Have either of you guys tried TIR with GPL using the GPLShift utility?
> GPLShift supposedly allows GPL to support TrackIR.

I haven't tried it with GPL, but for those interested, I did with NASCAR
20003. Since it doesn't have native support you have to load a virtual
joystick http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/Docs/PPJoyMain.htm and then
another program that ties the virtual joystick to the tracker
http://www.dikant.de./index.php?opti...tpage&Itemid=1

It worked well even thought you could just look left and right. I know
you don't need to look up and down but I starting to get used to a bit
of natural up down movement from driving LFS.

The strange part is calibrating the virtual joystick (your head). I
know how far to move a joystick for calibration but how far do you move
head? There's not stops .

I tried the EA NASCAR Racing Sim, but couldn't get it to work. Anyone
know what I need to do to activate the TrackIR in that sim?

Russell
Old March 11th 05, 10:04 PM
Whoo

ymenard wrote:
>>"Mitch_A" > wrote
>>While the TIR/VE work very nicely in racing sims it really shines in
>>flight
>>sims. The true freedom of head movement can really only be experienced as
>>words cant adequately describe it

> Yeah well somehow for racing simulations, there isn't much need for Y-axis
> movements of the head. Is there any way to block the axis with something
> like TrackIR during racing sims? It would give a much more precise idea
> imho. We've gone ages from the bad look-ahead features of C:PR

C:PR = Crap Precision Racing?