teenage insurance

Old December 8th 04, 06:22 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

<< just set up an account for an 18 1/2yo girl, with one accident on
her
record. The rate is $4500/yr. >>>

If that's liability, it's outrageous. But if it's mostly collison
coverage cause the girl is driving a $70,000 SUV, then what does she
expect? Have her drive a beater.

Old December 8th 04, 07:03 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:35:53 GMT, "leo" >

>I just set up an account for an 18 1/2yo girl, with one accident on her
>record. The rate is $4500/yr.

Holy crap!

If I werent' paying for my own insurance, this would be enough to make
me say I would never complain about my rates again. (Like, why would I
complain about my insurance rates if someone else were paying? I
probably wouldn't. Anyone want to volunteer to sponsor me?)

$4500 a year though - Where is this?

Then again, high insurance rates might tend to reduce the number of cars
on the road. Unless it leads to a higher percentage of uninsured
drivers.
--
There's no way to delay that trouble comin' everyday
Old December 8th 04, 07:03 AM
Mike Z. Helm

Old December 8th 04, 07:33 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:02:20 GMT, "leo" >

>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:35:53 GMT, "leo" > wrote:
>>
>>>I just set up an account for an 18 1/2yo girl, with one accident on her
>>>record. The rate is $4500/yr. I added an older girl, the rate remains the
>>>same. WHAT IF I add a third boy who is 17 to the account. I think the rate
>>>is already over the top that the boy might have very little effect on the
>>>rate. Your thought?

>> Make them buy their own vehicles and insurance. Sign a waiver and have
>> them specifically excluded from your policy, and keep your car keys in
>> a locked key box when you aren't using them.
>>
>> --
>> Sloth Kills!
>> http://www.geocities.com/slothkills/

>Well, this is a typical answer. I am not convinced all teenagers can pay
>their tuition, room & board, car and insurance all by themselves, however.

Maybe they can't. But if you pay for everything, they're going to miss
out on one of the most valuable things you can teach your children -
personal financial responsibility.

I'm reluctant to give up info like this on usenet, but my BAC is
probably over the legal limit right now (don't worry, I'm not driving).

I didn't have to work at all to go to college - sure, I worked in the
summer, but my parents went with the philosophy that if I didn't have to
work during school, I could devote all my time to studying (LOL).

It was a nice theory, but since I didn't have to work, I partied a lot.
I dare say that if I had had to work, I might have made better grades as
I wouldn't have been drunk as much.

And don't make the mistake of thinking your kids won't party. Maybe
they're the rare exception - and there isn't anything inherently wrong
in partying, but there is such a thing as partying to the point of
ignoring your academic responsibilities.

Having them pay what they reasonably can will be much better than Daddy
taking care of them.

Even though I may have been spoiled in not having to work to pay for my
school, I wasn't given a car while I was at college - there was no need
despite the fact that many of my classmates had cars and felt it was a
need.

I walked to school, walked to the grocery store, and either bummed rides
or took a cab when my destination was too far to consider walking which
was rare. Some years, it took me 30 minutes to walk to class, often in
freezing cold and snow, and I guarantee you the exercise did me good.

A car is NOT a necessity for most people - I could even get by without
owning one now, although I wouldn't even consider that. It's a luxury,
but one I'm unwilling to do without - as long as I have a job and the
means to pay for it without cutting into the rest of my budget.

Do yourself and your kids a favor and listen to what Scott said. You
don't have to make them pay for everything, but if they don't pay for
anything, what are they gonna do when they're financially independent of
you?

Or do you expect to support them for the rest of their lives?

I'll take a wild guess and say my partying probably cost me 1-1.5 points
in my GPA (but I didn't attend a state school either). I'm not sure
what that translates to in starting salary out of college, but I can
tell you mine wasn't anything to brag about.

And to get back to the personal financial responsibility thing, it was
very easy to not think about money and burn a lot of it even with my
meager starting salary fresh out of college.

The more responsibility you shift to them early on, the more responsible
they will be once they're on their own.

But if all that fails, they can always cling to one of my favorite
things to tell myself when watching money pour down the drain:

"It's only money"

And it is only money - there are more important things in life.

--
There's no way to delay that trouble comin' everyday
Old December 8th 04, 07:33 AM
Mike Z. Helm

Old December 8th 04, 03:08 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Mike Z. Helm > wrote:

>If I werent' paying for my own insurance, this would be enough to make
>me say I would never complain about my rates again. (Like, why would I
>complain about my insurance rates if someone else were paying? I
>probably wouldn't. Anyone want to volunteer to sponsor me?)
>
>$4500 a year though - Where is this?

Could be PA. The PA high risk fund quoted me $4100 for one car, as an under-25
male already on high-risk insurance (Maryland Auto Insurance Fund --
but that was $1500/year!). I declined.

>Then again, high insurance rates might tend to reduce the number of cars
>on the road. Unless it leads to a higher percentage of uninsured
>drivers.

The latter. Definitely the latter.
Old December 8th 04, 03:08 PM
Matthew Russotto

Old December 8th 04, 07:27 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:19:52 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
> wrote:
>
> >Sounds about right... Working at Radio Shack full time in the past I made
> >maybe $600-$700/mo except during the holiday season when I actually made
> >enough to live off of (comission). $4500/year is $375/mo. One can't

afford
> >to live with insurance that high if one is making the money a typical
> >college student will make while taking classes.

> The whole purpose of going to college is to study and get a good
> education, not work 50 hours/week at Radio Shaft so you can afford to
> operate and insure a car. College is set up such that you don't need a
> car: you eat your meals in the cafeteria in your dorm; you walk to
> classes, frat parties, and bars. That's how it was when I was in
> college, and that's how it is today. The college my son attends
> doesn't even allow freshmen to have a car on campus - there is neither
> need nor space.
>
> I would rather spend that $4500/year on tuition at a better school
> than waste it on car insurance for kids who don't need to drive.

Not everyone is so priveleged to have a family that can afford to send them
away to some fancy school and live a secluded life on campus and not have to
work. I go to a community college for computer science (they have great
professors, I am friends with and work with them all... very talented
people) and will probably transfer over to Rutgers after I get my AAS.

I personally will never live on campus. I've been on several college
campuses and the people who live there are for the msot part awful. Lacking
in morals, don't give a damn about anything except partying and drugs...
Totally immature. It's the epitome of where I do not want to live and the
environment I do not want to be in. I'd rather pay $50-$100/mo and live in
Camden in a nice big apartment to cut way back on living expenses and
commute to school if I had to be totally independant from my parents.

Back to dorms, my ex's roommate was a drug dealer and was often trying to
slip her drugs. This was all in the "academic" dorm too. Furthermore, there
is little freedom, living on campus is babysitting, just like high school.
All you see is a bunch of losers whining in the school papers about how they
can't do this or that or the other. Well first off, get a life you morons,
secondly, stop doing drugs and grow up, and thirdly, if you don't like it,
leave!

Anyhow, as I said, my insurance is less than $100/mo, which is less that
$1200/year. My parents pay for my tuition, I pay for books. They pay for my
car insurance, but I give them money for it when I can afford it. I now work
part time and am taking classes again this coming semester and finishing my
MCSE.

The reason I was working 60+ hours/week between my two jobs was due to a bit
of a personal situation, but that's all behind me now and I'm gettin' back
on the ball with school and moving on with my life.

Cory