Cleaning Accord engine compartment (places to avoid getting water?)

Old March 17th 05, 07:15 AM

Default Cleaning Accord engine compartment (places to avoid getting water?)

I plan on cleaning the engine compartment of my 97 accord with 137,000
miles. I know to cover the alternator and obvious electrical
connectors. I also hear advice to cover the distributor, but from my
what I recall Honda 2.2 vtec engines are distributorless. Are there any
other parts of the engine compartment that I should be extra carefull
to keep water away from?
I plan to use Simple green, a low-pressure mist, a cold engine when
cleaning and to final rinse with distilled water.
Many have talked about what possibly can go wrong.
I would like to especially hear from others where something DID go
wrong when they cleaned under the hood and what they would have done
differently. Thanks

Old March 17th 05, 02:07 PM
SadaYama

Do you mean there is no distrubutor cap and rotor and spark plugs? and
wires and coil wire??

All you need to do is cover all electrical wires and stuff with a
plastic sheet. Get a engine Gunk Cleaner can, and spray all over; wait
for 5-10mins and clean with water. Distilled water may be a overkill.
Make sure you do not start the car for 30mins. After cleaning, I also
spray a can of WD40, on all rubber parts and hoses for protection and
long lasting elasticity. Make sure you don't spray WD40 on belts.

Old March 17th 05, 03:07 PM
jim beam

SadaYama wrote:
> Do you mean there is no distrubutor cap and rotor and spark plugs? and
> wires and coil wire??
>
> All you need to do is cover all electrical wires and stuff with a
> plastic sheet. Get a engine Gunk Cleaner can, and spray all over; wait
> for 5-10mins and clean with water. Distilled water may be a overkill.
> Make sure you do not start the car for 30mins. After cleaning, I also
> spray a can of WD40, on all rubber parts and hoses for protection and
> long lasting elasticity. Make sure you don't spray WD40 on belts.

please DO NOT spray wd40 on natural rubber - it rots it.

Old March 18th 05, 06:08 PM
q45yesman

> The fact you'll be avoiding high-pressure water almost guarantees
> you'll stay out of trouble.
>
> Do not apply WD-40 to any rubber or plastic
> keep silicone oil from getting sucked into the engine

Wouldn't bearings also likely be damaged from a detergent solution?
For example, alternator bearings, electric fan bearings (if any), etc.

Also, what about mechanical fuel pumps (if equipped)?
They may have an air inlet hole, often on the upper half, which might
allow potentially damaging wash fluids to drip onto the pliable
diaphragm.

Old March 18th 05, 06:14 PM
SadaYama

<<<<<<<< After cleaning, I also spray a can of WD40, on all rubber
parts and hoses for protection and long lasting elasticity. Make sure
you don't spray WD40 on belts. >>>>>>

Oops, I am very SORRY !!! about spraying with WD40. What I meant was
SILICONE SPRAY and not WD40. Thanks for the correction GUYS !