What's up with FIRST?

Old March 15th 05, 02:18 AM
ymenard

Default What's up with FIRST?

Nice way to care about your potential customers.

(Tim.s TPTCC physics, GN1970 physics, etc..) What's next?

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old March 15th 05, 03:54 AM
Steve Whitty

"ymenard" > wrote in message
> Nice way to care about your potential customers.
>

> (Tim.s TPTCC physics, GN1970 physics, etc..) What's next?

FIR$T is targetting any mods that modifiy, or in their words, hack, the
exe. so if a mod developer hasn't recieved a Cease and Desist email by now,
you can bet your last dollar they will soon.

Steve

Old March 16th 05, 03:13 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

So, the cure is, for the dedicated modder, to go underground, make a "physics
patch", and distribute it alongside the distribution of cars, sounds, tracks etc
etc.

No problem, in other words. Just a bit more work for us end-users...

---Asgeir---

Old March 17th 05, 07:04 PM
Tony Rickard

"Asgeir Nesoen" wrote:

> So, the cure is, for the dedicated modder, to go underground, make a

"physics
> patch", and distribute it alongside the distribution of cars, sounds,

tracks etc
> etc.

Indeed. Which seems a shade naive of FIRST and there understanding of how
stuff gets distributed on the Net.

Kaemmer's beef in his open letter is around copying his work. His analogy on
cars refers to taking a BMW M3 to a car copier and driving two out. Well
he'd better wake up to the world of warez and discover that new releases
most often are cracked and distributed on the net before the retail
distribution has even got started.

The modders have in general had a semi official status and been completely
open in their approach. I am not aware of any copying of NR2003 to the
extent that you didn't need the original product. Indeed the price of NR2003
has come back out of the bargain bin following the launch of GTP.

Pushing the mods underground to join warez would negate the need to do the
right thing and illegal mods would be accompanied with illegal copies of
NR2003. Even if not deliberately the mods would share the same distribution
network as the illegal copies.

Compared with the illegal copying this would be a drop in the ocean, but
tackling warez can't be achieved through some lawyers letters to people who
are doing nothing to conceal their identity. Quite why hacking is perceived
as worse than duplicating defeats me.

Their anti piracy efforts would prevent anyone playing modified exes online
anyway.

Therefore, I can only conclude the concern is with the NR2003 code being
independently developed to something better than F1RST can produce impacting
on sales in the future, which rather smacks of a lack of confidence doesn't
it?

Cheers
Tony

Old March 17th 05, 09:45 PM
David G Fisher

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
k...

> Therefore, I can only conclude the concern is with the NR2003 code being
> independently developed to something better than F1RST can produce

impacting
> on sales in the future, which rather smacks of a lack of confidence

doesn't
> it?
>
> Cheers
> Tony

It gives the impression that what they are coming out with is not going to
have an all new look (graphics) and feel. That would be a disappointment to
me, especially when it's going up against rFactor. A rehash of the old
engine is not going to do it anymore.

--
David G Fisher

Old March 17th 05, 10:34 PM
JP

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message

> "Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
> k...
> >
> > Therefore, I can only conclude the concern is with the NR2003 code being
> > independently developed to something better than F1RST can produce

> impacting
> > on sales in the future, which rather smacks of a lack of confidence

> doesn't
> > it?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tony

> It gives the impression that what they are coming out with is not going to
> have an all new look (graphics) and feel. That would be a disappointment

> me, especially when it's going up against rFactor. A rehash of the old
> engine is not going to do it anymore.
>

> --
> David G Fisher

That's been the assumption for quite awhile now (nothing new, etc.)

Old March 18th 05, 02:24 AM
ymenard

>"David G Fisher" > wrote
> It gives the impression that what they are coming out with is not going to
> have an all new look (graphics) and feel. That would be a disappointment
> me, especially when it's going up against rFactor. A rehash of the old
> engine is not going to do it anymore.

They didn't buy the rights to the old code only for nostalgia you know...
The Papy game engine is still a pretty tough piece of coding, on many
aspects.

Old March 18th 05, 02:51 PM

David G Fisher wrote:

> It gives the impression that what they are coming out with is not

going to
> have an all new look (graphics) and feel. That would be a

disappointment to
> me, especially when it's going up against rFactor. A rehash of the

old
> engine is not going to do it anymore.

But a rehash of an old engine is what (the superb) rFactor is

I reckon there's plenty life in the old dog yet.

I maintain that the issue is one of licensing.

Let's say exe modding was allowed to go on. In future I might have 2
choices:

Option 1: Free N2003 mod that simulates (fudges?) Ferraris or Porsches
by a bunch of talented and well meaning people who pay nothing to the
marques.

Option 2: "pay-for" product that accurately recreates the feel of
driving car A (looks a bit like a Porsche) and car B (looks kind of
like a Ferrari).

Quality of the subtleties and nuances has little to do with it - people
want to pretend to drive real cars.

Does Kaemer make anything off sales of N2003 now?

Old March 19th 05, 03:03 PM
Byron Forbes

"ymenard" > wrote in message
> >"David G Fisher" > wrote
>> It gives the impression that what they are coming out with is not going
>> have an all new look (graphics) and feel. That would be a disappointment
>> me, especially when it's going up against rFactor. A rehash of the old
>> engine is not going to do it anymore.

> They didn't buy the rights to the old code only for nostalgia you know...
> The Papy game engine is still a pretty tough piece of coding, on many
> aspects.

Yep. All it needs is weather added and a dedicated road racing overhaul
(setups and general physics) and everyone immediately forgets anything
NR2003 related.

Then I'd like a version of F1 that is based on what F1 could be in 2005
if cost and safety were of no concern ie as fast as 2005 human technology
could make them go )))

Dream on!

Old March 19th 05, 03:20 PM
Byron Forbes

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> David G Fisher wrote:
>
>> It gives the impression that what they are coming out with is not

> going to
>> have an all new look (graphics) and feel. That would be a

> disappointment to
>> me, especially when it's going up against rFactor. A rehash of the

> old
>> engine is not going to do it anymore.

> But a rehash of an old engine is what (the superb) rFactor is
>
> I reckon there's plenty life in the old dog yet.
>
> I maintain that the issue is one of licensing.
>
> Let's say exe modding was allowed to go on. In future I might have 2
> choices:
>
> Option 1: Free N2003 mod that simulates (fudges?) Ferraris or Porsches
> by a bunch of talented and well meaning people who pay nothing to the
> marques.
>
> Option 2: "pay-for" product that accurately recreates the feel of
> driving car A (looks a bit like a Porsche) and car B (looks kind of
> like a Ferrari).
>
> Quality of the subtleties and nuances has little to do with it - people
> want to pretend to drive real cars.
>
> Does Kaemer make anything off sales of N2003 now?

I think the whole thing is a load of crap. After being out on the cyber
track for 10 mins or so, no one gives a stuff about the shape of the car,
badges and paintjobs - physics engine and game polish are everything.

For me this is simple - Dave Ks concern over this means we can have
little confidence that FIRST will be blowing up anyones skirt anytime soon.