GPL problem

Old December 16th 04, 03:43 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

Default GPL problem

Hi folks,

got me a nice shiny used radeon 9800 pro today, and everything
absolutely rocks, flies and is sheer joy. But: No GPL! It launches ok
both in D3D and OpenGL, but I cannot click on the green button that
takes me to the track list (or normally would).

I had a similar problem a while ago which I could "solve" by launching
GPL through GEM+, but this time this didn't help.

I'm using the latest catalyst drivers (4.12, I believe) on winxp pro.

Thanks for any hints,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 16th 04, 04:40 PM
Kevin Clark

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> got me a nice shiny used radeon 9800 pro today, and everything
> absolutely rocks, flies and is sheer joy. But: No GPL! It launches ok
> both in D3D and OpenGL, but I cannot click on the green button that
> takes me to the track list (or normally would).
>
> I had a similar problem a while ago which I could "solve" by launching
> GPL through GEM+, but this time this didn't help.
>
> I'm using the latest catalyst drivers (4.12, I believe) on winxp pro.
>
> Thanks for any hints,
>
> uwe

The inactive green button is usually due to having the sound patch
installed but not having all the essential sounds.

Old December 16th 04, 06:27 PM
Don Scurlock

Uwe =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?= > wrote in
:

> Hi folks,
>
> got me a nice shiny used radeon 9800 pro today, and everything
> absolutely rocks, flies and is sheer joy. But: No GPL! It launches ok
> both in D3D and OpenGL, but I cannot click on the green button that
> takes me to the track list (or normally would).
>
> I had a similar problem a while ago which I could "solve" by launching
> GPL through GEM+, but this time this didn't help.
>
> I'm using the latest catalyst drivers (4.12, I believe) on winxp pro.
>
> Thanks for any hints,

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I can tell you I'm using a 9800pro
(Sapphire), 4.12 drivers and xp pro and I've never seen that particular
problem with gpl.

DonS
Old December 16th 04, 06:43 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:40:31 +0000, Kevin Clark wrote:
> Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
>
> The inactive green button is usually due to having the sound patch
> installed but not having all the essential sounds.

Thanks Kevin, I copied over the "evenbettergplsounds" folder and now I
can enter the track. Training works fine, but if I start a single race
at mexico I can enter the car, drive a few metres (say 10 ;-)
alongside the parked AI cars and then GPL crashes with an illegal
exception.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help, uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 16th 04, 07:08 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

ok, did a little more experimenting, and gpl crashes only when using
the d3d7 renderer, opengl seems to be fine (but runs with ugly mirrors
and at a flickering 60hz refresh rate).

Can anybody confirm gpl running under d3d on a radeon pro 9800 / win
xp pro / dx 9.0c?

Cheers & ta in advance,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 16th 04, 07:39 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:27:15 GMT, Don Scurlock wrote:
> Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I can tell you I'm using a 9800pro
> (Sapphire), 4.12 drivers and xp pro and I've never seen that particular
> problem with gpl.
>
> DonS

Hi Don, thanks for your report. That means the problem must be on my
end, and that's better than nothing. Maybe I'll just try a fresh
install.

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 16th 04, 08:24 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

Looks like the problem was solved by re-installing gpl, copying over
the old player directory and carefully copying the car directories one
by one back to the new installation (when I tried to copy the full
cars67 from the backup, GPL would crash again).

Thanks to all who responded,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 17th 04, 09:55 AM
Jussi Koukku

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:08:07 +0100, Uwe Schürkamp
> wrote something like:

>Can anybody confirm gpl running under d3d on a radeon pro 9800 / win
>xp pro / dx 9.0c?

Runs without a glitch here with that combo. OpenGL in GPL is close to
useless with the Radeon card, huge hit in fps. The 60Hz problem is XP
related, you'll get it in every game. Google for a tool called ReForce
to fix it. Some graphics drivers may also include a workaround for the
60Hz prob.
--
- Jussi Koukku -
Old December 17th 04, 11:49 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:55:12 GMT, Jussi Koukku wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:08:07 +0100, Uwe Schürkamp
> wrote something like:
>
>>Can anybody confirm gpl running under d3d on a radeon pro 9800 / win
>>xp pro / dx 9.0c?

> Runs without a glitch here with that combo. OpenGL in GPL is close to
> useless with the Radeon card, huge hit in fps. The 60Hz problem is XP
> related, you'll get it in every game. Google for a tool called ReForce
> to fix it. Some graphics drivers may also include a workaround for the
> 60Hz prob.
> --
> - Jussi Koukku -

Is that xp / opengl or xp in general when using d3d? All my other sims
run fine at 85hz in D3D. Cheers,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old December 17th 04, 12:16 PM
Joao Gonzalez

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:27:15 GMT, Don Scurlock wrote:
>> Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I can tell you I'm using a
>> 9800pro
>> (Sapphire), 4.12 drivers and xp pro and I've never seen that particular
>> problem with gpl.
>>
>> DonS

> Hi Don, thanks for your report. That means the problem must be on my
> end, and that's better than nothing. Maybe I'll just try a fresh
> install.
>
> uwe
>

> --
> GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61

You've now solved it but I can confirm I had the same problem when I
installed XP (had a 9800 Pro then). GPL would not run properly. What I did
was install the GPL 2004 demo in a separate folder, it ran fine. Then I
copied the entire demo folder to my GPL folder and it worked.

Joao Gonzalez