Jeep Cherokee Sport ----> Check Engine Light

Old July 3rd 05, 07:38 PM
eddy long

Default Jeep Cherokee Sport ----> Check Engine Light

Cherokee Sport 2001 with 60k

Amber Check Engine light came on this morning.

Question:

1. Any idea what can cause that to come on. Many times the light has gone
on on my 1996 Dodge Dakota
with 135k and it's a O2 sensor.

2. Can the vehicle be driven for about 15 miles to the mechanic after the
holiday weekend?

Thanking all in advance.
Eddy

Old July 3rd 05, 09:07 PM
BillyRay

Eddy,

Turn the ignition one until the odometer lights, turn the key off, turn it
on until the odometer lights, turn it off, turn the key on until the
odometer lights, turn it off. Turn the key on again and the odometer should
be showing the error code.

For example earlier this week mine displayed "p0456" then "done".

You can then check the code number at ;
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

In my case P0456 was "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected
(very small leak)" which 97.3% of the time is caused by a bad gas cap.

If you have trouble extracting the codes they can check for you at your
local auto parts store, usually at no charge.

Good luck!

Old July 3rd 05, 09:51 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Eddy,
Pull the codes and find out why? Like if it just a bad Oxygen
sensor, then all that happen is your engine will run lean or rich
compensating, which is not good for an engine but a couple hundred miles
are not going to take that much of it's life. Of course if it's just a
leaking gas cap, just say screw the environment:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm Double check all your fluid
levels, like we normally do before starting any trip.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 4th 05, 12:59 AM
eddy long

"BillyRay" wrote in message:

> Turn the ignition one until the odometer lights, turn the key off, turn it
> on until the odometer lights, turn it off, turn the key on until the
> odometer lights, turn it off. Turn the key on again and the odometer

should
> be showing the error code. [balance snipped]

------------------------

Thank you.

I had tried to extract the error code by following your instructions and
nothing happened.

It's a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

Somebody in another NG had mentioned that that only works in older models.

Please advise if you know if it works in 2001 models.

Many thanks,
Eddy

Old July 4th 05, 01:16 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Try it again, you must complete the on, off, on, off, on sequence
in less than five seconds, though:
http://www.billhughes.com/faultCode.mpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old July 4th 05, 02:43 AM
BillyRay

Eddie,

I am under the impression that this techniqu should work
In any case you should be able to get the codes read at your local auto
parts store with an ODB II scanner My 2000 Cherokee never threw any codes
so I never had to try. My 2002 WJ's error codes were read in this manner
just days ago.

:
Retrieving codes:
Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three
times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At
the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no codes are
present then "Done" will appear.

Old July 4th 05, 03:46 AM
eddy long

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" wrote in message:

> Try it again, you must complete the on, off, on, off, on sequence
> in less than five seconds, though:
> http://www.billhughes.com/faultCode.mpg

------------------------

On Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001:

I tried:

On/Off

On/Off

On/Off

On

and it doesn't work. I do not receive any error codes - just the odometer
milage.

I waited until the odometer light went on - then truned off - then on,
etc... as fast as I could.

Possibly Jeep discountinued this with late models like 2001 Cherokee Sports?

Eddy

Old July 4th 05, 05:08 AM
BillyRay

Okay Jeepers,

Someone out there has a 2001 Jeep XJ. We need you to try and pull an error
code (or lack of one) with the key on-off method to confirm if this model
has that capability.

Old July 4th 05, 06:43 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Some say you have to reset the trip odometer first, and the door
must be open like resetting your remote controls.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 4th 05, 06:52 PM
eddy long

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" wrote in message:

> Some say you have to reset the trip odometer first, and the door
> must be open like resetting your remote controls.

--------------------

Using Jeep Cherokee Sprot 2001.

I opened the driver's side and passenger side doors.
Reset odometer to 00000

Then:

ON/OFF
ON/OFF
ON/OFF

ON

The only thing that reads is the odometer - there are no error codes.

Does anyone out there have a Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001 so that I can find out
whether they discontiuned the <<Check Engine>> light to check error codes?

Thanking all,
Eddy