BMW UK threatens Dealers

Old March 15th 05, 01:19 PM
Dotcom Computers

Default BMW UK threatens Dealers

Saw this article in yesterdays Daily Telegraph.

http://tinyurl.com/4wpzc

About time they kicked some of the dealers backsides!

Jason Russell

Old March 15th 05, 02:08 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dotcom Computers > wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/4wpzc

> About time they kicked some of the dealers backsides!

Yeh - but it's about their performance in selling new cars. What little
experience I've had of this has been ok - it's the servicing etc that's
dreadful.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 15th 05, 02:20 PM
John Burns

> Saw this article in yesterdays Daily Telegraph.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4wpzc
>
> About time they kicked some of the dealers backsides!

Excellent, well overdue. A few bad apples are giving the rest a bad name
in my opinion.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old March 15th 05, 03:13 PM
Daniel Arrepas

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dotcom Computers > wrote:
>> http://tinyurl.com/4wpzc

>> About time they kicked some of the dealers backsides!

> Yeh - but it's about their performance in selling new cars. What little
> experience I've had of this has been ok - it's the servicing etc that's
> dreadful.

What I found strange was that last year on this ng, I read British
participants, it might even have been you, saying the demand for the new
cars was so bad that dealers were heavily discounting them. Yet this article
says last year BMW (GB) saw a 52% increase in sales and that BMW AG implied
the cars were selling themselves so well that certain dealers had become
complacent, neither of which point indicates there wasn't at least solid
demand for the cars (unless all that increase was limited to e53's and
e46's).

In any case it could be that US dealers will see the face the same scrutiny
in the future. BMW dealerships in the US are nicer than those which sell
domestic models, but many aren't up to Mercedes or Lexus quality...which
really provide a nice buying and servicing experience. Lexus is probably the
best of any full line manufacturer in this country.

Old March 15th 05, 03:45 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Following Merc GB, who have bought out all the franchises in London,
Birmingham, Manchester and, I think, Glasgow, in order to improve service
(not sure if they mean retail and/or servicing or both)?

DAS

---

[...]

Old March 15th 05, 03:52 PM
John Burns

> What I found strange was that last year on this ng, I read British
> participants, it might even have been you, saying the demand for the new
> cars was so bad that dealers were heavily discounting them. Yet this article

That's really for the new 5 and 7 series. Other models are selling well.

It's interesting to note that values of used 6 series are really taking
a dive though. Normally a year old "new model" like that would be worth
more than a brand new car to those eager to avoid the waiting list.

Old March 15th 05, 04:38 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
John Burns > wrote:
> > What I found strange was that last year on this ng, I read British
> > participants, it might even have been you, saying the demand for the
> > new cars was so bad that dealers were heavily discounting them. Yet
> > this article

> That's really for the new 5 and 7 series. Other models are selling well.

Yup. Although my *impression* is that 5 Series sales have picked up.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Old March 15th 05, 06:58 PM
Oldun

As far as I'm concerned, they can start with John Clark Ltd of Aberdeen.
I've never met such a load of self-opinionated dickheads in one place. Smart
showroom spoilt by the amount of bull**** flying about.
Thanks to them it will be a very long time before I buy another BMW.

Oldun

Old March 15th 05, 07:21 PM
Daniel Arrepas

"John Burns" > wrote in message
>> What I found strange was that last year on this ng, I read British
>> participants, it might even have been you, saying the demand for the new
>> cars was so bad that dealers were heavily discounting them. Yet this
>> article

> That's really for the new 5 and 7 series. Other models are selling well.

> It's interesting to note that values of used 6 series are really taking
> a dive though. Normally a year old "new model" like that would be worth
> more than a brand new car to those eager to avoid the waiting list.

It's maybe even more strange that a model with dropping resale prices after
one year, has a waiting list for new builds. That is not the relationship
that generally exists between new and used cars, their prices, and their
availability. Something there isn't right. As is the assumption that BMW
could make 50+% gains without the 5 selling well, let alone being heavily
discounted because no one wants one.

I haven't been able to find a site that specifically follows or reports BMW
GB sales. Could you point me to the one you used to see the failing 5 and 7
series sales last year. Much appreciated.

Old March 15th 05, 07:27 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Oldun > wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, they can start with John Clark Ltd of Aberdeen.
> I've never met such a load of self-opinionated dickheads in one place.
> Smart showroom spoilt by the amount of bull**** flying about. Thanks to
> them it will be a very long time before I buy another BMW.

Strangely, I've used them twice for a service, although I live in London.
On holiday visiting relations. Once when they were in Gray Street, and
once at their current location. And both times they were ok - ish. The
service wash at their new premises scratched the paint - as do all
automatic car washes.

But compared to my local Coopers Wimbledon and their predecessors using
the same premises they were magic.