Trouble Code P0420

Old January 14th 05, 07:12 AM
Mr. Whatever

Default Trouble Code P0420

My scanner says "System efficiency below threshold"
my Chiltons book says "catalyst efficiency monitor and/or exhaust system
fault" for that code.

Could it be the Oxygen Sensor? I have 70K on this one

TIA
Old January 14th 05, 05:22 PM
Mr. Whatever

Mr. Whatever wrote:
> My scanner says "System efficiency below threshold"
> my Chiltons book says "catalyst efficiency monitor and/or exhaust system
> fault" for that code.
>
> Could it be the Oxygen Sensor? I have 70K on this one
>
> TIA

Doh... found an archive post that suggests it's probably oxygen sensor.
I forgot to mention I have 96 Explorer 4.0 4WD AT. I see in manual that
there are 4 sensors. Should I replace all 4 if one is bad? TIAA
Old January 28th 05, 03:47 PM
Mr. Whatever

Mr. Whatever wrote:
> Mr. Whatever wrote:
>
>> My scanner says "System efficiency below threshold"
>> my Chiltons book says "catalyst efficiency monitor and/or exhaust
>> system fault" for that code.
>>
>> Could it be the Oxygen Sensor? I have 70K on this one
>>
>> TIA

> Doh... found an archive post that suggests it's probably oxygen sensor.
> I forgot to mention I have 96 Explorer 4.0 4WD AT. I see in manual that
> there are 4 sensors. Should I replace all 4 if one is bad? TIAA

Double Doh. Found another post that suggested having the PCM re
calibrated or reset first. Something about the trouble code being stored
in memory. It cost $90 but the trouble code hasnt come back after 200
miles. Seems like an inherent flaw like that should have been paid for
by the factory. Oh well, Kragen said they would take the 02 sensors back.
Old January 28th 05, 11:13 PM
Paul Scrutton

How many miles did you have on when you did this?

This code came up on mine also. I did do the cat replacement, as my mileage
was high, and I haven't had the
code come on again. I haven't had my PCM recalibrated. Anyone know what
that's all about? Is this a dealer only type thing requiring special
equipment?

Paul

m...

Old January 30th 05, 09:18 PM
Mr. Whatever

Paul Scrutton wrote:
> How many miles did you have on when you did this?
>
> This code came up on mine also. I did do the cat replacement, as my mileage
> was high, and I haven't had the
> code come on again. I haven't had my PCM recalibrated. Anyone know what
> that's all about? Is this a dealer only type thing requiring special
> equipment?
>
> Paul

I had 67K+ on it when the trouble code came up. As far as I know only
the dealer can flash/recalibrate/reset the PCM but I'm not certain. I
found the post about the PCM at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums
Old January 31st 05, 01:23 AM
Jim Warman

Haven't seen the post on your link. If it is referring to power programmers
and chips, all these do is modify the spark and fuel curves as well as the
rpm limits. They do nothing to the operating strategy that decides when to
set the MIL and send a DTC to memory. In the past, Ford (along with most
other marques) have approached the EPA for permission to alter the fault
determination strategies to reduce the incidence of "nuisance" MILs.

Dealers are the only ones with this sort of programming data. The original
poster would have to go to the dealership and have his car connected to the
WDS to determine if a later flash is available for the car.

"Mr. Whatever" > wrote in message
m...

> Paul Scrutton wrote:
> > How many miles did you have on when you did this?
> >
> > This code came up on mine also. I did do the cat replacement, as my

mileage
> > was high, and I haven't had the
> > code come on again. I haven't had my PCM recalibrated. Anyone know what
> > that's all about? Is this a dealer only type thing requiring special
> > equipment?
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I had 67K+ on it when the trouble code came up. As far as I know only
> the dealer can flash/recalibrate/reset the PCM but I'm not certain. I
> found the post about the PCM at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums

Trouble Code 42, 97 Jeep Cherokee, How to Troubleshoot? wallcm Chrysler 0 January 8th 05 07:41 PM
OT - OBD2 Trouble Codes Jeff Strickland Jeep 1 December 29th 04 06:28 AM
Error code 36 Rick B. Corvette 2 August 24th 04 02:30 AM
Tranny Trouble codes jonnymcfly Saturn 4 July 7th 04 01:41 AM