87 Prelude Alternator

Old January 28th 05, 03:09 AM
disallow

Default 87 Prelude Alternator

Hey All

87 Prelude 1.8L carb, need to do the
alternator. I grabbed one from a wrecker, and
it was a biatch to get out. I ended up going
from the top, once the bolts were undone. I
removed the cover to the air intake where the
filter is. Then we just bent the **** out of
the part that remains. Since it was a wrecked
car, we didn't care.

However, I do care about the girlfriends car, is
there an easy way to remove the rest of the air
intake (its a big black piece of metal sitting
vertically with screens on it to go to each
carburator.) I see a couple small bolts and
brackets, would this be the easiest way to go?

I have seen some people suggest pulling the
driveshaft on that side, but even with it removed I am unsure as to
whether there would be
enough room to pull the alternator, let alone
get another one back in...

Old January 28th 05, 04:08 AM
William Burke

You can change the alternator with the big black piece with screens in
place. It is a little tricky. Lift the alternator out with the pully
side facing down. It's a little difficult but you can get it out. If
you want to remove the lower air cleaner, remove the nuts that hold the
screens and the 2 hoses. There are 2 bolts that are screwed into the
bottom of the air cleaner. You can loosen them from the side or from
under the car. There are also 2 wires that run from the center at the
top that have to be disconnected. There is also vacumme hose between the
wires that you disconnect. On the drivers side of the air cleaner there
are 2 large hoses and a small vacume hose. On the passenger side there
are 2 small hoses at the bottom that need to disconnected. You should
be able to pull the air cleaner past the mounting studs and swing it
toward the passenger side to give you room. Don't move it to far or you
may dissconnect other hoses on that side. Getting it put back is even
more difficult. Just take you're time an take the alternator out wth
the air cleaner in place. If you do remove the air cleaner, good luck.
I've done it many times, and it is still a pain.