opinon of BFG 31 AT KO used tire and rim purchase

Old January 25th 05, 06:46 PM
ufatbastehd

Default opinon of BFG 31 AT KO used tire and rim purchase

I am looking to buy 5 BFG AT KO'S 31 x 10.15 x 15 on YJ canyon rims.
The tires have about 30,000 miles and not used for off-road and seem to
be in good condition. I have an offer into the seller but am curious
about the longetivity of this tire. The tires were rotated in a 5 tire
rotation.
Can anyone shed some light on approx how many miles these tires can
last?

Thanks

Old January 25th 05, 08:17 PM
Steve

Properly rotated, these can last more than 75K miles. Before you buy,
look for uneven wear. Measure the average remaining tread depth to see
how far gone they are. They start with 16.5 in/32nds.

BFG rubber is relatively hard and it can get progressively harder as the
treads erode. This is how they get great mileage, but it means that the
performance benefit of softer rubber decreases as the life span is
approached. Consider this when negotiating a price relative to
percentage of tread wear. If you can get your hands on a durometer,
compare hardness with a new tire (at similar temp).

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old January 26th 05, 02:57 AM

IMO, buying used tires is like buying a used toothbrush....

Be careful. Unless you know the seller very well, you have no idea
where they've been or how they've been treated.

They should have a 50,000 mile lifespan if they've been treated
properly.

Old January 26th 05, 03:33 AM
mabar

75K miles? Maybe it's just the way I drive, but I would think that 50K
miles would be about the limit.

If those tires already have 30k miles on them, I would guess that they are
about 60% worn down. Also, the last half of the tread life gives you
substantially less traction than the first have of the tread life.

Tom

Old January 26th 05, 08:13 PM
Steve

Check the user reviews he

http://tinyurl.com/7xtp4

Some report mileage in excess of 100K. The key is frequent rotation and
proper alignment with minimal toe-in.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old January 26th 05, 09:10 PM
mabar

I do a 5 tire rotation every other oil change, or at about 6000 miles.
Perfect wear on all 5 tires. NO WAY will you get 100K miles out of a set of
BFG ATs!

50K or 60K maybe, but I think 60K is really pushing it.

Tom

Old January 26th 05, 10:16 PM
Jerry Bransford

Maybe he meant 100 kilometers?

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 27th 05, 04:51 AM
Steve

Jerry Bransford wrote:
> Maybe he meant 100 kilometers?

Miles. Obviously, anything over 90K miles is exceptional, but look at
the customer reviews at http://www.tirerack.com (these are just a few):

---

1996 Jeep Gr. Cherokee Laredo

Miles driven on tires: 99,999
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 8.556
Location: Columbus, WI
Driving Condition: Mostly On Road
Driving Style: Average

These are great tires. The suvey doesnt allow numbers over 100,000 but
Ive put on 122,500 & Im still driving on them. Theyre a little noisy &
give a bit of a rough ride for a Grand Cherokee but theyre truck tires &
my vehicle calls for passenger car tires. The traction, stability &
treadware are worth the noise & ride. -- Review Submitted 2004-12-14

---

1990 Mitsubishi Montero

Miles driven on tires: 96,000
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 8.333
Location: Queens, NY
Driving Condition: On Road/Off Road
Driving Style: Average

Last 1994, I bought this tire with 32,000 miles in my Mitsubishi
Montero. Now December of 2004 i got 128,000 miles. So i put already
96,000 miles in this tires and they still good!and running! I might put
5,000 miles more before I change it! -- Review Submitted 2004-12-05

---

1998 Ford Ranger Super Cab 4wd

Miles driven on tires: 95,000
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 9.778
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Driving Condition: On Road/Off Road
Driving Style: Spirited

These tires are the best in the industary, and you would be a fool not
to buy the greatest truck tires I have ever experience. I havent had a
flat tire yet and Im over 90,000 miles and looking for some new ones
now. There Great! James Budd MN. -- Review Submitted 2004-11-30

--

Miles driven on tires: 99,999
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 7.000

I bought this v-6 x-tra cab used with 96,000 miles. The previous owner
told me the tires had 27,000 miles on them then. I had no reason not to
believe him. The truck just turned 169,000 miles and if winter wasnt on
its way Id leave them on. -- Review Submitted 2004-11-13

---

1988 Toyota Pick-up 4wd

Miles driven on tires: 97,000
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 8.778
Location: Cranberry Twp, pa
Driving Condition: Mostly On Road
Driving Style: Average

The combination of these BFGoorich - AT tires on a Toyota truck equates
to high quality and low maintenance for years to come. I put a set of
these on my 88 pickup at 108K and 97k miles later am still running a set
of them without issue. Ive bounced over curbs, placed 1500lbs. of gravel
in the bed, towed over 6200lbs of trailer for 300 miles and never a
concern with the truck nor the tires. I turned over to the ATs from out
a set of michelins...absolutely no comparison. Un-"bleaping" believable.
The total cost of owenership for this combination cannot be beat. Rotate
them often and keep proper pressure, put them on a truck that can live
up to their longevity...BFG & Toyota! -- Review Submitted 2004-10-11

---

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd

Miles driven on tires: 95,000
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 9.222
Location: PETOSKEY, MI
Driving Condition: All Off Road
Driving Style: Spirited

hey all, i got the miles to prove these tires are best on the market,
great in mud, sand, and snow! pavement= quiet ride, and hey they look
great on the ol MOPAR! MANY MILES=WORTH THE EXTRA DOUGH!!!! -- Review
Submitted 2004-03-25

---

1997 Ford F150 Reg Cab 4wd

Miles driven on tires: 99,999
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 10.000
Location: Antioch, CA
Driving Condition: Mostly On Road
Driving Style: Average

These tires are awesome, ive got over 100K on them and there is still a
few thousand miles left....im switching to the M/T as this vehicle is
not being used as much..hopefully i get half the mileage out of them. --
Review Submitted 2004-03-02

---

1996 Jeep Gr. Cherokee Limited

Miles driven on tires: 99,999
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 8.778
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Driving Condition: Mostly On Road
Driving Style: Average

I replaced the OEM tires at 46,000 on my Jeep. I put on the BFG All
Terain tires, and now have 100,000 miles on them (146,000 on the Jeep).
They have been great in the snow and the slush, but I did feel a harder
ride. Id buy them again. -- Review Submitted 2004-02-05
Old January 27th 05, 10:03 PM
ufatbastehd

To All

Thanks for the advice.

I cant afford new tires and these come with 01 TJ canyon rims.
Tires have been rotated in a 5 tire rotation.

So I think Im going to make an offer on them as they look to be in
great shape and will probally rot off the rims before I wear them out
as I put only 2K tops on my rig a year.
May be able to get tires and rim for way less than a set of new tires.

Old January 28th 05, 03:49 AM
Kevin in San Diego

You will be happy.
KH