Which battery?

Old January 24th 05, 05:35 AM
Carl Saiyed

Default Which battery?

The 'ol Die Hard in my Cherokee gave up the ghost, time to upgrade. I can
get a 1000CCA standard battery from Les Schwab for about 100 bux. Is it
worth the extra 60 for an Optima? If I get the Optima, which is best? Red
top? Blue top? Yellow top?

Vehicle is 89 Cherokee 4.0, Warn m8000 winch, 400watt audio amp, no aux
lighting but I will be adding some.

Thanks,

Carl

Old January 24th 05, 05:43 AM
Jerry Bransford

With your winch, Optima's Blue Top or Yellow Top deep-cycle/starting
batteries would be a good choice, the Red Top would not since Optima
will not warranty it if a winch is connected to it. The Blue Top is
exactly the same as the Yellow Top internally and only varies by the
external case color and connectors. The extra top post on the Blue Top
is suitable for connecting a winch to, a winch cannot be connected to
the side posts that come on the Yellow Top since they cannot handle the
amount of current a winch can draw (in excess of 400 amperes). I'm real
happy with my two year old second Yellow Top, my first Yellow Top lasted
around five years with lots of winching under its belt before I replaced
it just to make sure it didn't strand me in the middle of the desert.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 24th 05, 05:51 AM
Carl Saiyed

Thanks, Jerry. Based on your reccomendation and various articles I found on
the internet, I think I'll be going with the Yellow Top.

Thanks again,

Carl

Old January 24th 05, 06:25 AM
Jerry Bransford

Great... but I'm just curious why you chose it over the Blue Top that
makes connecting a winch easier?

Jerry

Old January 24th 05, 12:41 PM
Carl Saiyed

Was it also the same design as an Optima? Or is it a conventinal battery?

Thanks,

Carl

"Cherokee Boy" > wrote in message
> Hi Carl:
>
> Just went through the exercise today for my 89 LTD.
>
> I had planned on buying the Optima (red 34 - that's what Optima told me)
> even thought every battery shop I went to told me the Optima wasn't worth
> the money. As I was going out the door, I remembered that Costco sold
> batteries so I went out for a look and ended up buying a 'Kirkland' (the
> Costco brand) battery that has significantly higher rated CCA than the
> Optima (which incidentally was also available at Costco) for 1/2 the cost,
> but with an almost identical warranty. I saved $80 over the Optima. So

far
> I'm happy, but then, I've only had the battery in the truck for about 4
> hours now
>
> The blue and yellow top Optima's are for 'deep cycle' applications, not

for

Old January 24th 05, 12:43 PM
Carl Saiyed

Oops! I meant blue top. However, I am considering the 1000CCA conventional
battery, as the 700CCA Die Hard did pretty good, although the last bought
with winching is what put it 6 feet under..

Will a 1000CCA conventional battery cut it?

Thanks,

Carl

Old January 24th 05, 03:11 PM
Jerry Bransford

Yes both the Blue Top and Yellow Top are also considered a starting
battery as well. They are a combined 'SLI' (starting, lights, and
ignition) as well as being a deep cycle. They are not a standard deep
cycle that would not be a good choice for a vehicle. Go to
www.optimabatteries.com/ to confirm this if you like Cherokee Boy.

Jerry

Old January 24th 05, 04:11 PM
twaldron

and why _you_ did, as well...

Jerry Bransford wrote:

> Great... but I'm just curious why you chose it over the Blue Top that
> makes connecting a winch easier?
>
> Jerry
>
> Carl Saiyed wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Jerry. Based on your reccomendation and various articles I
>> found on
>> the internet, I think I'll be going with the Yellow Top.

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old January 24th 05, 05:27 PM
Mike Romain

Sure. An 'Optima' is just a cool looking battery with no fall back in
case of over charge because it has no free acid you can top up when it
boils dry.

They also have a crappy warranty if you get the blue top and they break
internally just as fast and easy as conventional batteries from my
experience. Well maybe a bit longer, but that is subjective according
to trail use in the time period.

I was given one and bought one and I will never buy another. I will
stick to the chain store brand with the highest CCA and best warranty I
can get. That way I can easily get it replaced free even on a Sunday
when I kill it. I did notice my favorite chain store has spiral cell
ones too now so I might see what they offer on warranty and price next
time, but an 'optima', no way.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 24th 05, 06:13 PM
Jerry Bransford

I would have gone to the Blue Top for my second Optima but I already had
a good wiring setup that gets around the sidepost issue.

Jerry

twaldron wrote:
> and why _you_ did, as well...
>
> Jerry Bransford wrote:
>
>> Great... but I'm just curious why you chose it over the Blue Top that
>> makes connecting a winch easier?
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> Carl Saiyed wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Jerry. Based on your reccomendation and various articles I
>>> found on
>>> the internet, I think I'll be going with the Yellow Top.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
See the Geezer Jeep at
http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 06:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM
Why Won't a Frozen Battery Start a Vehicle. Denny B General 1 January 30th 04 02:48 AM