2002 GC Deluxe Stereo Question...

Old August 15th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NewMan

Default 2002 GC Deluxe Stereo Question...

The stereo in my GC is the deluxe one that has both the CD and
Cassette, also equipped with Infinity speakers.

I have not tried the cassette yet. The CD sounds OK, not great, but
OK. However, is it just me, or dose the FM absolutely SUCK????

Since my 1994 GC was written off, I have had 3 loaner / rental vans
before I purchased this van. Each of the loaners had the "basic"
stereo in it, and the FM was flawless. But this supposedly "deluxe"
stereo in the FM mode I can't drive 10 FEET without it sounding like
someone threw a blanket over the speakers, and then it loses "stereo"
and the signal breaks up!

I DO have an extended warranty which covers ALL electronics including
the stereo, so before I "discuss" the matter with the dealer, I just
wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems.

All comments appreciated, thanks.
Old August 16th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Scott Koprowski

Antenna unplugged maybe??

Old August 16th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

Scott Koprowski wrote:
> Antenna unplugged maybe??
>

> "NewMan" > wrote in message
>> The stereo in my GC is the deluxe one that has both the CD and
>> Cassette, also equipped with Infinity speakers.
>>
>> I have not tried the cassette yet. The CD sounds OK, not great, but
>> OK. However, is it just me, or dose the FM absolutely SUCK????
>>
>> Since my 1994 GC was written off, I have had 3 loaner / rental vans
>> before I purchased this van. Each of the loaners had the "basic"
>> stereo in it, and the FM was flawless. But this supposedly "deluxe"
>> stereo in the FM mode I can't drive 10 FEET without it sounding like
>> someone threw a blanket over the speakers, and then it loses "stereo"
>> and the signal breaks up!
>>
>> I DO have an extended warranty which covers ALL electronics including
>> the stereo, so before I "discuss" the matter with the dealer, I just
>> wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems.
>>
>> All comments appreciated, thanks.

Hi...

Another thought, if I may?

If you take it out of the dash to check the quality of
antenna connection, then while you're in there make sure
that the braided bolt-on ground strap is attached to
the back of the radio (and firmly)

If you don't find a ground strap at all, then it's
possible that it may have fallen down into the lower
portions of the dash...

Given that previous posts lead me to think there's a
possibility that the radio's been changed for the sale.
If that's so, it's possible the ground strap's been left
off, which will make it not only erratic in every mode,
but the radio portion terrible, terrible, terrible

Take care.

Ken

Old August 16th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NewMan[_1_]

This definitely looks like a "stock" Chrysler stereo just by the way
it integrates into the dash, the buttons, trim, etc...

I thought about the antenna thing too. I wonder if the previous owner
had a killer stereo, and then put back the stock one before trading it
in? That would explain a sloppy re-install.

OK, I'm game! I know NOTHING about this model year (YET!). SO, oh
great Chrysler gurus, how do I remove the dash panel on the 2002 to
check the installation of the stereo???

Old August 16th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

NewMan wrote:
> This definitely looks like a "stock" Chrysler stereo just by the way
> it integrates into the dash, the buttons, trim, etc...
>
> I thought about the antenna thing too. I wonder if the previous owner
> had a killer stereo, and then put back the stock one before trading it
> in? That would explain a sloppy re-install.
>
> OK, I'm game! I know NOTHING about this model year (YET!). SO, oh
> great Chrysler gurus, how do I remove the dash panel on the 2002 to
> check the installation of the stereo???

Hi NewMan...

Can't help you with removal, I know less of your van
than you do - but the experts here who've done it before
will chime in

Just as to why I suspected it had been changed just for
you... my ever more feeble memory has me recalling
a long ago post where you reported finding a van that
you liked, but that left you grieving the stereo that
you'd lost in your written off one.

I somehow from that assumed that they'd installed a
better one in this new van to clinch the sale

Take care.

Ken
Old August 16th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NewMan[_1_]

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 03:30:07 GMT, Ken Weitzel >
wrote:

>NewMan wrote:
>> This definitely looks like a "stock" Chrysler stereo just by the way
>> it integrates into the dash, the buttons, trim, etc...
>>
>> I thought about the antenna thing too. I wonder if the previous owner
>> had a killer stereo, and then put back the stock one before trading it
>> in? That would explain a sloppy re-install.
>>
>> OK, I'm game! I know NOTHING about this model year (YET!). SO, oh
>> great Chrysler gurus, how do I remove the dash panel on the 2002 to
>> check the installation of the stereo???

>Hi NewMan...
>
>Can't help you with removal, I know less of your van
>than you do - but the experts here who've done it before
>will chime in
>
>Just as to why I suspected it had been changed just for
>you... my ever more feeble memory has me recalling
>a long ago post where you reported finding a van that
>you liked, but that left you grieving the stereo that
>you'd lost in your written off one.
>
>I somehow from that assumed that they'd installed a
>better one in this new van to clinch the sale
>
>Take care.
>
>Ken

Hi Ken,

Actually, I managed to recover the stereo from the old van! I still
had the original Chrysler radiio / cassette unit, so I swapped it in
and took my stereo - to hell with the appraisers!

Having said that, believe it or not, and presuming I can get the radio
reception up to snuff, the stereo in this van is quite nice feature
wise. I may eventually put a different one in it though because I
don't think (have not tried it yet) that the stock stereo can play MP3
and WMA on a regular data CD. That is a significant disadvantage now!
On my other stereo, using WMA, I was able to get almost seven albums
of music on a single CD-R!!! Out west where you often get between
towns and there is no FM stations, having that kind of punch in a
single disk is a HUGE benefit!

Oh well, this will all get sorted in time.