Ignition parts in steering column wearing out?

Old April 18th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Ignition parts in steering column wearing out?

Hi,
I have an 85 Chevy Caprice. Lately I sometimes have to press extra
hard when turning the ignition key to get the engine to turn over.
Will it just get worse? What is the fix? Replace lock cylinder? What
would a mech charge to do it? Is this a DIY project?

Thanks

Old April 18th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

there might be two replaceable ignition devices in the steering column
that goes bad with excessive use.

you might check with a chevy dealership for prices, ask for a discount,
they expect it.

you might be looking a 200 bucks or more, for parts and labor,

with a little skill, it can be a do it yourself project, I've done it.

mho
vƒe

Old April 18th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Try some lock cylinder spray first, prior to dissassemble.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 18th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Those are usually Saganaw columns and use a rod from the key switch to
the ignition switch which is down lower on the column. There is an
adjustment for the switch you might try to make up for wear or maybe it
has come loose. I had to adjust my 86's, which is a Saganaw tilt, for
that to make up for wear on the rod holes and linkages.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Caprice85 wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an 85 Chevy Caprice. Lately I sometimes have to press extra
> hard when turning the ignition key to get the engine to turn over.
> Will it just get worse? What is the fix? Replace lock cylinder? What
> would a mech charge to do it? Is this a DIY project?
>
> Thanks

Noise in steering column [email protected] Technology 0 January 27th 06 03:37 AM
C5 Steering Column lock - How to Unlock sbright Corvette 5 April 17th 05 09:38 PM
96 Taurus Steering Column Lock Lever Actuator [email protected] Technology 0 March 17th 05 12:17 AM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Steering column Rincewind Saturn 0 June 18th 04 01:10 PM