stock engine and large tires

Old January 3rd 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default stock engine and large tires

I see pics of those tj's with 44's or similar size tires, they all seem to
have v8's put in.
What's the largest size tire that the stock engine in a tj handle? I
suppose it would be the stock manual transmission and transfer case, but
axles strong enough and geared for said tires?

Troy

Old January 3rd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thirty inches with the Dana 35c: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old January 3rd 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

So I guess the 3 million Wranglers with 31 inch tires are all wrong! With a
2-3 inch body lift, you can easily fit 33 inch tires. The Dana 35 and 30
can easily handle the added height and weight. Again you show your
ignorance Bill.

Do you honestly believe some of the crap you feed these people on this
newsgroup?

The Dana 35 may not handle a 35 inch tire, but then again, which
manufacturer are you talking about. Just because a tire manufacturer calls
their tire a 35 inch doesn't mean the actual tire height is as advertised.
But I guess you knew that didn't ya Bill?

Troy, look for a good Jeep related web page. Search around. You will see
that until you get to the 35 inch tire, the only factor limiting the tire
size on a Jeep Wrangler is the Fender opening. I don't recommend a body
lift for many reasons, but if that's what you want, then go for it. Like I
said earlier, I know of many Wranglers with 31-33 inch tires on stock
differentials. I have 31 inch tires on my daughters Wrangler (Pro Comp
X-Terrains) which measure a true 31 inches.

Good Luck Troy

Be careful who you get your information from. Make sure they know more then
"I'm waiting".
Jim Smith

Old January 3rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Now Bill, you should have prefaced your answer with a "IMHO". Yes, you have
pictures to show why it may not be a good idea. Nonetheless, I contend that
you can run up to at least 33X12.5 tires on a 4" lifted Wrangler equipped
with a 4.0L and Dana 35 axle provided the vehicle is appropriately geared
for the larger tire (4.11-4.56) and the driver handles the rig on the trail
with care. My evidence is that I've had 33X12.5 tires on my 91YJ since new
and have yet to break an axle. This is with the stock driveline and a 4"
lift. IMHO, I believe that the preponderance of broken 35 axles were the
result of driver error and not the fault of the equipment. Slow and
deliberate with a front locker and rear LS seem to be the best combination.
I fear that most of the broken 35s we've seen are the result of a rearend
install of a full locker and, or the driver trying to do something more than
his rig was capable of. MY YJ does its share of 3-4 plus rated trails in
rocks, mud and sand and has yet to bust an axle.

Jus my two pennys.
Scott
91YJ
2000 F-150 4x4

Old January 3rd 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hmm, I mean if I was wanting to go for, say 44 inch boggers on my TJ like
I've seen out there, but wanted to keep the I6 engine in it? Would the
engine be able to push 44's reasonably if the axles could be geared that
low? All jeeps I've seen so far have v8s in them for that.

Troy

Old January 3rd 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If you ever do any four wheelin', take a camera with you.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 3rd 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Old January 3rd 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Maybe with a leaf spring conversion, and Rockwells:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/465730
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 3rd 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I always do. If I ever break something I'll take you a picture.

Scott
91YJ
00 F-150 4x4

Old January 3rd 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wow that was the exact jeep I was looking at when I thought this up. It has
a chevy 350 in it though, for the bigger tires. I was wondering if I did
have rockwells and proper gearing and all, would the 190hp 232lb-ft torque
(or close to that) power of the i6 be able to turn those 44's down the
highway at 65mph? If not would it at least give me enough power for muddin?

My jeep already has a 4 inch lift w/33's and 4.56 gears and lockers, etc. I
was gonna put all that on my gf's jeep when it's paid for and upgrade my
own, muahaha. I only have 55000 miles on the i6 in it now, and it's going
strong so I dont wanna get rid of it until its dying day.

Troy