Silly question - can't get the wheels off my 156 JTS!

Old July 25th 04, 10:52 PM
Steve Knight

> I have just tried to swap the wheels front-to-back to rotate the tyres on
my
> 52 plate 156 2.0JTS, but I can't get the wheels off!!
>
> The wheels look normal - 5 nuts (1 locking). I can't see anything special
> on the wheels and the handbook doesn't give any special instructions. Its
> not like I can't change a wheel, but this has me stumped!! In attempt to
> sound slightly less silly - yes I did jack the car up and yes I did remove
> the wheel nuts!

Corrosion has occurred between your alloy wheel and the hub, locking one to
the other; this is very common and doesn't damage either but is inconvenient
when you want to change a wheel.

If you gently let the car down off the jack (without replacing the wheel
nuts) you may successfully part the wheel and hub, otherwise, buy a rubber
mallet from a DIY store and give it a whack!

To prevent this from happening again, coat the inner surface of the wheel
(where it touches the hub) with copper grease (available from car accessory
shops); use it sparingly and don't get any on the brake disc or pads.

--
Remove Xs to reply direct

Old July 25th 04, 11:36 PM
Tony Rickard

"Gareth Tuckwell" wrote:

> I have heard of this with steel wheels, but should this really be

hapenning
> to alloys after just 18 months on the road?

I had to give my 156 alloys a whack to get them off after just 12000 miles

> Incidentally, these factory fit firestones seem to go on forever - that's

my
> front set worn just over half way at 18.5k miles - they look like they

might
> do 25-30k. I don't hang about on corners or accellerating!

Contisports here. Fronts well worn after 12000 miles so swapped (after
giving the wheels a good wallop with a mallet and lump of wood) with the
rears, but mine is a V6 so heavier and more power.

Cheers
Tony

Old July 25th 04, 11:40 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

Default Silly question - can't get the wheels off my 156 JTS!

I have just tried to swap the wheels front-to-back to rotate the tyres on my
52 plate 156 2.0JTS, but I can't get the wheels off!!

There wheels look normal - 5 nuts (1 locking). I can't see anything special
on the wheels and the handbook doesn't give any special instructions. Its
not like I can't change a wheel, but this has me stumped!! In attempt to
sound slightly less silly - yes I did jack the car up and yes I did remove
the wheel nuts!

I don't like to phone a garage - I would just feel silly!

Help!!!

Old July 25th 04, 11:44 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

Also - there are no jacking point markings front or rear under the car
(normally there are little triangles or arrows) - any pointers there as the
pictures in the handbook don't match the car or the jack?!?

Old July 26th 04, 12:03 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a rattle!!

I have heard of this with steel wheels, but should this really be hapenning
to alloys after just 18 months on the road?

My 12 year old renault didn't do this and my Fiat Marea didn't do this after
4/5 years!

Should I be complaining to my garage - the car is still under warranty and
had its first and only service at the Alfa garage last Oct/Nov?

Incidentally, these factory fit firestones seem to go on forever - that's my
front set worn just over half way at 18.5k miles - they look like they might
do 25-30k. I don't hang about on corners or accellerating! The tyres on the
rear still have the little rubber bits at the side and the stripe of paint
through the tread! I have used Michellin Energy tyres and they used to last
about 15k on the front of my Marea, which was a lighter, less powerful car!

Old July 26th 04, 12:05 AM
Carl Farrington

Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
> Also - there are no jacking point markings front or rear under the car
> (normally there are little triangles or arrows) - any pointers there
> as the pictures in the handbook don't match the car or the jack?!?

I've always found jacking points to not look very strong, so I always jack
the A-arm up. It also has the benefit that you aren't jacking up the car on
the suspension while the wheel stays on the floor. I'm no spanner-man so
perhaps this isn't a good idea but it's worked well for me.

Old July 26th 04, 06:58 AM
Catman

Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

> Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a rattle!!
>
> I have heard of this with steel wheels, but should this really be
> hapenning to alloys after just 18 months on the road?
>
> My 12 year old renault didn't do this and my Fiat Marea didn't do this
> after 4/5 years!

Luck. Seriously.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 26th 04, 07:00 AM
Catman

Carl Farrington wrote:

> Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
>> Also - there are no jacking point markings front or rear under the car
>> (normally there are little triangles or arrows) - any pointers there
>> as the pictures in the handbook don't match the car or the jack?!?
>>

> I've always found jacking points to not look very strong, so I always jack
> the A-arm up. It also has the benefit that you aren't jacking up the car
> on the suspension while the wheel stays on the floor. I'm no spanner-man
> so perhaps this isn't a good idea but it's worked well for me.

That *may* not be a good idea. There was a big thing about (IIRC)
Vauxhalls on which the A-arm would bend when this was done. Best to use
the jacking points IMHO. After all, they are designed or the purpose.
Old July 26th 04, 07:19 AM
Steve Knight

> I have heard of this with steel wheels, but should this really be
happening
> to alloys after just 18 months on the road?

Don't think of this corrosion like you would rust. You get corrosion when
you put two different types of metal together - there's just a reaction.

Only in extreme circumstances would a steel wheel rust onto a steel hub.

It really is very normal and nothing to worry about - ask anyone in a tyre
place. But get some copper grease to stop it happening again.

--
Remove Xs to reply direct

Old July 26th 04, 11:15 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

I would love to use the jacking points on the 156JTS, but there don't seem
to be any!

There is a ridge runs right from the front to rear wheels and there is a
matching notch out of the jack, but there is no indication of where along
the ridge I should place the jack - there is no little triangle, arrows, or
marks on the ridge. I put the jack either side of ridge, about 10cm back
from the front wheel arch and when I started jacking it creaked and looked
like it was going to bend, so I took it back down again and moved it further
along from the wheel, where it seemed stronger, but much further away from
the wheel than on other cars I have jacked up.

Whilst I love Alfas, I don't know much about mechanics - can change oil,
etc, but that's it. So I don't know what an A-arm is - I think it is part of
the suspension and I'm guessing that it is 'A' shaped, but how do I find it?

"Catman" > wrote in message
.. .
> Carl Farrington wrote:
>
> > Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
> >> Also - there are no jacking point markings front or rear under the car
> >> (normally there are little triangles or arrows) - any pointers there
> >> as the pictures in the handbook don't match the car or the jack?!?
> >>

> > I've always found jacking points to not look very strong, so I always

jack
> > the A-arm up. It also has the benefit that you aren't jacking up the car
> > on the suspension while the wheel stays on the floor. I'm no spanner-man
> > so perhaps this isn't a good idea but it's worked well for me.

> That *may* not be a good idea. There was a big thing about (IIRC)
> Vauxhalls on which the A-arm would bend when this was done. Best to use
> the jacking points IMHO. After all, they are designed or the purpose.
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
> Triumph Speed Triple: Black with extra black bits
> www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Just a quick question about the MAF sensor Pete Alfa Romeo 0 July 16th 04 11:56 AM
Alloy Wheels Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 14 July 4th 04 10:28 AM
Bubbly Wheels Halmyre Alfa Romeo 2 June 30th 04 08:49 PM
146 1.6 TS question Alex C Alfa Romeo 1 May 21st 04 04:27 PM
GT Wheels on a 156 Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 1 May 15th 04 05:08 PM