Jeep Grand Cherokee 1994 alarm problems

Old June 6th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee 1994 alarm problems

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1994 that was purchased used without the
keyless alarm.

Some months ago, the drivers' side door lock failed to disarm the
alarm, so I have been using the trunk to disengage before opening it.

My battery recently ran down after leaving the fan on overnight.

The engine cutoff was enabled when I tried to restart.

Successive attempts to fix the problem have led to a dead battery and
much frustration. Including a disabled car with the windows down for
three days of rainstorm.

I have purchased a new battery to trouble-shoot. When I connect the
battery, the alarm activates. I lock the doors and then disarm the
alarm with the key in the trunk door. At this point I have power. I
then unlock the drivers' door and place the key in the ignition. I
still have power at this point. When I turn the key from the first
(power on?) position to start, I get a click and then the power system
is disabled.

Is there a default key position that should be set when connecting a
battery?

If not, is there a way to disarm/bypass the alarm or replace whatever
module seems to have failed in the door (find on ebay?)?

This is an old Jeep and I'm looking for the least expensive fix. I have
purchased the Repair Manual and do not see any relevant help there. Any
help would be much appreciated as I've been trying to play with the
locks to get a setting that will get me back to where I was.

Driving to the dealer is not an option, as I cannot start the car.

Many thanks in advance.

Old June 6th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

tunacity did pass the time by typing:
> I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1994 that was purchased used without the
> keyless alarm.

> Is there a default key position that should be set when connecting a
> battery?

Turn the key to ON then connect the battery. Make sure your headlights
are turned off or you will draw a rather big spark and that is bad.

After the battery is in you just get in the car and start it.

> If not, is there a way to disarm/bypass the alarm or replace whatever
> module seems to have failed in the door (find on ebay?)?

It's just a switch stuck on the end of the keyway.

I'd run a diagnostic first. If you have the service book
it walks you through the procedure.

If the switch is dead you can order one from
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
It's $31 (pricey bugger)

Removing the security module isn't an option. The Jeep will not
run with it disconnected.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old June 6th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Indubitably .

Connecting battery with key in the ON position remedied the problem.
The alarm still activated, but I was able to disarm it by turning the
trunk lock with a second key.

Previously, this would have led me to turning the key and engaging the
shutoff. Connecting the battery with the key in the ON position avoided
the problem.

Old June 6th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

tunacity did pass the time by typing:
> Indubitably .
>
> Connecting battery with key in the ON position remedied the problem.
> The alarm still activated, but I was able to disarm it by turning the
> trunk lock with a second key.
>
> Previously, this would have led me to turning the key and engaging the
> shutoff. Connecting the battery with the key in the ON position avoided
> the problem.

It's the little gotchas.

Basically the alarm system wants to know the owner is attaching the
battery. So it looks for the key in the On position. Personally I don't
like that because it creates more of a draw and can lead to larger sparks.
Sparks around battery terminals are not good. That's why the warning about
making sure the lights are off. Same thing applies if you have an aftermarket
sterio with amplifires.

--
DougW