Need trouble shooting for 92 YJ transfer case please

Old March 22nd 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Need trouble shooting for 92 YJ transfer case please

Hi, I love JEEPS! and been having my 92 Yj wrangler for over 2years and
loving every min of it hehe.

Got it at an auction and the transmission was shot! but with some back
breaking work got it like new.
Transfer case has been excellent from the begging.

Now 2 years latter and hard as hell on it ive noticed that my 4wd H & 4wd L
arent locking in gear.
So first thing i did was re ajust the 4WD lever to make sure i was pulling it
INTO gear. well this fixed the problem but only by 20%.

The problem I am having is that when I select 4WD (in wet fields or mud) my
4wd motor engages up front, BUT In side the transfer case is were i hear
gears grinding (like down shifting a manual trans and not do it right
(grinding gears) but only when front slips. The whole system is vacume
control and ive checked all lines, (and i have a Vac gauge also-no change in
vac). some times it does lock after awhile and I can feel when alll 4wheels
are turning, but it will sometimes jump out of gear and grind back in.
My 4WD has become unreliable and down right usless in our wet fields, like 2
nights ago, after a server thunder storm and heavy heavy rains, i went to go
check our cows. Well dam near got stuck 3 time just moving through the
fields, why? 4wd would not engange what so ever. and that is the problem 80%
of the time 4wd will not Get in GEAR Hi or Low and when in gear it May jump
out.. (This is inside the transfer case problem, not my locking motor.)

Understanding the problem? I sure hope so because that is the best way i can
explain it. and ive asked others around and they heard nothing of the sort.
my manual talks nothing about transfer case problems, so i am stumpped.

Any body out their knows what i am talking about? or have any helpful tips
and ideas what it might be?
We are prared to pull the transfer case, just hoping its more simple problem
than changing out the syncroziers. Thank you.
Old March 22nd 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Many times the body will have shifted or failing motor mounts will
cause the lever to jam up against the floor boards, not allowing it to
go all the way into gear, or to knock it out.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/