1994 Explorer Pinging

Old November 26th 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 1994 Explorer Pinging

Vern wrote:

> Could you tell me where exactly the MAF sensor is located? Thanks to
> everyone who responded to my question. I've searched for "pinging" on
> the rest of this group and have found a ton of information. Thanks
> again.

It's located on top of the air intake tube, held down with security torx
screws (you'll need the security torx tool which is easily available).
It's a snap to remove and replace. I clean mine with some electronic
switch spray cleaner, be careful it's delicate, don't touch it, just
spray till it looks clean.
Old November 27th 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I ended up in the intaken mainfold catagory Cleaning the MAF never fixed
it. Factory gasket is hard plastic - doesn't seal well.

ups.com...

Old November 29th 05, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:04:42 -0600, "Randy Johnson" >
wrote:

>I ended up in the intaken mainfold catagory Cleaning the MAF never fixed
>it. Factory gasket is hard plastic - doesn't seal well.

I was lucky. Mine (1992) developed some sort of problem (don't recall
what) when it was only a year or so old and the warranty took care of
the repair which included RR of the upper and lower intake manifold.
I recall the service guy saying something like the factory gaskets
were crap but the ones they put on to replace them should last the
life of the vehicle.

oups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

> There is also de-carbonizing. Carbon builds up in the head and on the
> intake valves, effectively increasing the compression ratio and making
> little glow plugs if the carbon gets red hot. Both of those things can
> cause pre-ignition or pinging. I read an old post by guru Jim Warman
> about adding a small amount of water to the intake of the engine as it
> idles, "steam cleaning" the carbon out. There are also kits of
> chemicals that do the same thing.

I haven't put water in my carb since before there were catalytic converters.
I was afraid the water might slam against the converter guts breaking it
into small pieces. Is it safe, then? Thanks. To get rid of my pinging
(166K now, but there since 100K) I use a tank full of 89 octane or a couple
of gallons of premium every 4 or five fill-ups of regular.

1994 Ford Explorer ealy 4x4 1 October 17th 05 04:07 PM
Abs light on a 1994 ford explorer sport Djcueballspins1 Ford Explorer 1 September 6th 05 01:28 AM
abs light on 1994 ford explorer Djcueballspins1 Ford Explorer 1 August 21st 05 07:05 AM
1994 Explorer hubs "grinding"/"buzzing"/"noisy" when disengaged Chris 4x4 2 November 26th 04 02:34 PM
1994 explorer stereo-cd John Ford Explorer 0 October 24th 04 08:35 PM