Mexico selling unsafe cars.

Old November 29th 13, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

Default Mexico selling unsafe cars.

Google, or whatever.
Old November 29th 13, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

JR > wrote in :

> Google, or whatever.

Lemme post an actual link:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...g-unsafe-cars/

Excerpt:
"Vehicles destined to stay in Mexico or go south to the rest of
Latin America carry a code signifying there's no need for
antilock braking systems, electronic stability control, or
more than two air bags, if any, in its basic models."

What??? THAT's "unsafe"?

That sounds just like about 99% of the cars sold in the US
in the early '90s, and which were anything but death-traps.

I would be very happy to be able to buy a brand-new car
that was as "unsafe" as the ones scourged by the article.

"Safety" is a modern insanity, a paranoia, a sick fetish,
an addiction; not even 0.000000001% of risk is acceptable;
we must have PERFECTION. ZERO RISK. Unattainable perfection.
And, certainly, those actually "at risk" should absolutely
NOT be allowed to determine their OWN level of risk, the
level with which THEY feel comfortable.

Ultimately, the "safety" mania consists of those who imagine
themselves as being certainly correct imposing their will
by force of arms against those whom they are convinced are
certainly wrong. It's a tyranny, in other words.

--
Tegger
Old November 29th 13, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Friday, November 29, 2013 4:57:23 PM UTC-6, Tegger wrote:
> JR > wrote in :
>

> > Google, or whatever.

> Lemme post an actual link:
>
> http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...g-unsafe-cars/
>

> Excerpt:
>
> "Vehicles destined to stay in Mexico or go south to the rest of
>
> Latin America carry a code signifying there's no need for
>
> antilock braking systems, electronic stability control, or
>
> more than two air bags, if any, in its basic models."
>

> What??? THAT's "unsafe"?
>

> That sounds just like about 99% of the cars sold in the US
>
> in the early '90s, and which were anything but death-traps.
>

> I would be very happy to be able to buy a brand-new car
>
> that was as "unsafe" as the ones scourged by the article.
>

> "Safety" is a modern insanity, a paranoia, a sick fetish,
>
> an addiction; not even 0.000000001% of risk is acceptable;
>
> we must have PERFECTION. ZERO RISK. Unattainable perfection.
>
> And, certainly, those actually "at risk" should absolutely
>
> NOT be allowed to determine their OWN level of risk, the
>
> level with which THEY feel comfortable.
>

> Ultimately, the "safety" mania consists of those who imagine
>
> themselves as being certainly correct imposing their will
>
> by force of arms against those whom they are convinced are
>
> certainly wrong. It's a tyranny, in other words.
>

> --
>
> Tegger

One night in 1972 when I was driving in Mexico, there was an extra high speed bump in front of a bridge. I was driving slow but I didn't see that extra high speed bump. BLAM!, it nearly ripped the whole front end out from under my old 1978 Dodge van. Now, that is dangerous/unsafe.
Old November 29th 13, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Friday, November 29, 2013 5:23:41 PM UTC-6, JR wrote:
> On Friday, November 29, 2013 4:57:23 PM UTC-6, Tegger wrote:
>
> > JR > wrote in :

> > > Google, or whatever.

> > Lemme post an actual link:

> > http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...g-unsafe-cars/

> > Excerpt:

> > "Vehicles destined to stay in Mexico or go south to the rest of

> > Latin America carry a code signifying there's no need for

> > antilock braking systems, electronic stability control, or

> > more than two air bags, if any, in its basic models."

> > What??? THAT's "unsafe"?

> > That sounds just like about 99% of the cars sold in the US

> > in the early '90s, and which were anything but death-traps.

> > I would be very happy to be able to buy a brand-new car

> > that was as "unsafe" as the ones scourged by the article.

> > "Safety" is a modern insanity, a paranoia, a sick fetish,

> > an addiction; not even 0.000000001% of risk is acceptable;

> > we must have PERFECTION. ZERO RISK. Unattainable perfection.

> > And, certainly, those actually "at risk" should absolutely

> > NOT be allowed to determine their OWN level of risk, the

> > level with which THEY feel comfortable.

> > Ultimately, the "safety" mania consists of those who imagine

> > themselves as being certainly correct imposing their will

> > by force of arms against those whom they are convinced are

> > certainly wrong. It's a tyranny, in other words.

> > --

> > Tegger

> One night in 1972 when I was driving in Mexico, there was an extra high speed bump in front of a bridge. I was driving slow but I didn't see that extra high speed bump. BLAM!, it nearly ripped the whole front end out from under my old 1978 Dodge van. Now, that is dangerous/unsafe.

Oops, actually it was in 1992 when I visited Mexico for five days and nights. Matamoros and Reynosa and Rio Bravo and Monterey and a few other cities and towns.
Old November 30th 13, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

Tegger wrote:
> > wrote in :
>
>> Google, or whatever.

> Lemme post an actual link:
> http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...g-unsafe-cars/
>
> Excerpt:
> "Vehicles destined to stay in Mexico or go south to the rest of
> Latin America carry a code signifying there's no need for
> antilock braking systems, electronic stability control, or
> more than two air bags, if any, in its basic models."
>
> What??? THAT's "unsafe"?
>
> That sounds just like about 99% of the cars sold in the US
> in the early '90s, and which were anything but death-traps.
>
> I would be very happy to be able to buy a brand-new car
> that was as "unsafe" as the ones scourged by the article.
>
> "Safety" is a modern insanity, a paranoia, a sick fetish,
> an addiction; ......

it's also extremely expensive to fix. I just priced a driver inflator
module (air bag)) on a 2007 Frontier the other day and it was $800 retail.

GW
Old November 30th 13, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 11/29/2013 5:29 PM, JR wrote:

>> >One night in 1972 when I was driving in Mexico, there was an extra high speed bump in front of a bridge. I was driving slow but I didn't see that extra high speed bump. BLAM!, it nearly ripped the whole front end out from under my old 1978 Dodge van. Now, that is dangerous/unsafe.

> Oops, actually it was in 1992 when I visited Mexico for five days and nights. Matamoros and Reynosa and Rio Bravo and Monterey and a few other cities and towns.

Yes, it would have been quite the trick to be driving an old 1978 Dodge
van in 1972.

Not that it likely made any real difference in handling or roll-over
angle, but I always hated the narrow rear track look on the Dodge
B-Series vans.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old November 30th 13, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Friday, November 29, 2013 11:16:04 PM UTC-6, T0m $herman wrote:

> > Oops, actually it was in 1992 when I visited Mexico for five days and nights. Matamoros and Reynosa and Rio Bravo and Monterey and a few other cities and towns.

> Yes, it would have been quite the trick to be driving an old 1978 Dodge
>
> van in 1972.
>

> Not that it likely made any real difference in handling or roll-over
>
> angle, but I always hated the narrow rear track look on the Dodge
>
> B-Series vans.
>

> --
>
> T0m $herm@n

Old Dodge vehicles are Tough vehicles. Google,,, Pershing's Dodge car My favorite vehicles are Dodge and Ford/Ford and Dodge.
Old November 30th 13, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_14_]

"JR" > wrote in message

> > Oops, actually it was in 1992 when I visited Mexico for five days and
> > nights. Matamoros and Reynosa and Rio Bravo and Monterey and a few other
> > cities and towns.

> Yes, it would have been quite the trick to be driving an old 1978 Dodge
>
> van in 1972.
>
> Not that it likely made any real difference in handling or roll-over
>
> angle, but I always hated the narrow rear track look on the Dodge
>
> B-Series vans.
>
> T0m $herm@n

Old Dodge vehicles are Tough vehicles. Google,,, Pershing's Dodge car
My favorite vehicles are Dodge and Ford/Ford and Dodge.

Given your lamebrain endorsement, I'd avoid them like the plague.

Old November 30th 13, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 11/30/2013 10:23 AM, . wrote:
> "JR" > wrote in message

>>> Oops, actually it was in 1992 when I visited Mexico for five days and
>>> nights. Matamoros and Reynosa and Rio Bravo and Monterey and a few other
>>> cities and towns.

>> Yes, it would have been quite the trick to be driving an old 1978 Dodge
>>
>> van in 1972.
>>
>> Not that it likely made any real difference in handling or roll-over
>>
>> angle, but I always hated the narrow rear track look on the Dodge
>>
>> B-Series vans.
>>
>> T0m $herm@n

> Old Dodge vehicles are Tough vehicles. Google,,, Pershing's Dodge car
> My favorite vehicles are Dodge and Ford/Ford and Dodge.
>
> Given your lamebrain endorsement, I'd avoid them like the plague.

How much do Dodge vehicles differ from Plymouth vehicles of the same
era? Our family inherited a 1975 Plymouth Gran Fury in the late 1970's,
and that was one of the worst pieces of automotive excrement to ever
leave a factory. Poor engine reliability (first engine replaced under
warranty at 10K miles), terrible rust proofing (by the time the car was
7 years old, the trunk was unusable due to rust holes), lots of air
leaks around the doors, door handle hardware partially failed on all
doors within the same 7 years, sucked gas (less than 12 mpg on a vehicle
with a ~19-second quarter-mile time), terrible seats that the upholstery
wore through in less than 8 years, almost no suspension dampening, and
fueling that get the car to lurch out into an intersection, then stall.

The Plymouth made my Renault R11 seem like the pinnacle of automotive
excellence (hey, it was $400 at 8 years and 60K miles).

--
T0m $herm@n
Old November 30th 13, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:21:11 PM UTC-5, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 11/30/2013 10:23 AM, . wrote:
>
> > "JR" > wrote in message

> >> Yes, it would have been quite the trick to be driving an old 1978 Dodge

> >> van in 1972.

> >> Not that it likely made any real difference in handling or roll-over

> >> angle, but I always hated the narrow rear track look on the Dodge

> >> B-Series vans.

> >> T0m $herm@n

> > Old Dodge vehicles are Tough vehicles. Google,,, Pershing's Dodge car

> > My favorite vehicles are Dodge and Ford/Ford and Dodge.

> > Given your lamebrain endorsement, I'd avoid them like the plague.

> How much do Dodge vehicles differ from Plymouth vehicles of the same
>
> era? Our family inherited a 1975 Plymouth Gran Fury in the late 1970's,
>
> and that was one of the worst pieces of automotive excrement to ever
>
> leave a factory. Poor engine reliability (first engine replaced under
>
> warranty at 10K miles), terrible rust proofing (by the time the car was
>
> 7 years old, the trunk was unusable due to rust holes), lots of air
>
> leaks around the doors, door handle hardware partially failed on all
>
> doors within the same 7 years, sucked gas (less than 12 mpg on a vehicle
>
> with a ~19-second quarter-mile time), terrible seats that the upholstery
>
> wore through in less than 8 years, almost no suspension dampening, and
>
> fueling that get the car to lurch out into an intersection, then stall.
>

> The Plymouth made my Renault R11 seem like the pinnacle of automotive
>
> excellence (hey, it was $400 at 8 years and 60K miles).
>

> --
>
> T0m $herm@n

We've had good luck with dodge vans. Parents purchased one new in '82. In 2004 I sold it with over 180K and still running good. The had peeled off years ago leaving surface rust everywhere. The only problem we had with it was when it was cold the transmission didn't like to go into reverse right away, so I told my Father just to back the van in the driveway. He never had another problem with reverse since. I sold it to a guy for $150 who never registered it in his name and was using it for interstate runs. 3 months later I get a call from an impound yard stating my van had been impounded. My gf just happened to be working at that very lot and I gave her a call and sure enough my van was there now painted a primer gray.

I went to the yard, found a battery and it started right up still running good. I decided to let the yard have it as I already purchased an '01 Dodge 2500HD van which only now has 30k on her. The only thing I don't like about the newer van is the 11-13mpg it gets with the 360 cu. motor but I love the power it has.

Chas