Heater connections

Old October 24th 04, 12:45 AM
KWS

Default Heater connections

So I've decided to take out the dashboard out of the '90 to fix the heater
core since the carpet has to come out now that it's saturated. As usual, one
stupid thing is holding me up, so I shall ask any of you for help:

There are two wires that connect to the heater blower. This connection is
behind the glovebox; they appear to be two connectors; one for each wire.
One wire, I believe, is green the other is green and some other color. They
attach to the harness that is in the dash, so they have to be removed.

I have been struggling with these for about an hour. I can't figure out what
the latch mechanism is and how to free them. I am almost at the point of
cutting the wires and splicing in new ones.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Old October 24th 04, 04:34 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"KWS" > wrote:

>So I've decided to take out the dashboard out of the '90 to fix the heater
>core since the carpet has to come out now that it's saturated.

When Miata magazine replaced the carpet, they simply cut through the
part hidden below the dash.

> As usual, one
>stupid thing is holding me up, so I shall ask any of you for hel1p:
>
>There are two wires that connect to the heater blower. This connection is
>behind the glovebox; they appear to be two connectors; one for each wire.
>One wire, I believe, is green the other is green and some other color. They
>attach to the harness that is in the dash, so they have to be removed.

Not clear to me. It appears that the connectors directly going to
the wire harness are a 4 pin and a one pin one. My best guess is
you seem to want to take the two pin power internal connector
directly attached to the motor itself apart.

There seems to be a catch at the thicker short side of this two pin
connector. According to the manual, the connectors come in the
"push-in" and "pull-out" type. (There is also a "spring type",
but the drawing does not look anywhere close.)

Try also removing in directions normal to the obvious one. Did me
in with the clockspring connectors.

Leon

>I have been struggling with these for about an hour. I can't figure out what
>the latch mechanism is and how to free them. I am almost at the point of
>cutting the wires and splicing in new ones.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Ken

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 24th 04, 05:18 PM
KWS

Thanks, Leon.

I ended up cutting the wires. I'll add some sort of inline connector to put
them back. Hate doing that, though.

Ken

news

Old October 24th 04, 09:26 PM
KWS

> When Miata magazine replaced the carpet, they simply cut through the
> part hidden below the dash.

That is because they are girley men :-)