Mystery-solution?

Old December 23rd 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

Default Mystery-solution?

I had been having a problem with high idle in summer heat when running the
AC and especially a drop in gas mileage of about 5-6 mpg....heavy soot
deposit around the outlet of exhaust pipe...rich mixture.
I changed the plugs, cleaned sensors etc....all the things that were
suggested by the group, but did not seem to help.
Last week my wife mentioned that she heard a squeel coming off the engine
when turning the wheel, so I checked the belt. It was cracked and hard,
probably had 90-100k miles on it, so I bought one of the new style Dayco
belts and installed it.
Now the mileage is back to what it was before and the idle is much better
also. Anyone know why a slipping belt would cause these problems?
TIA,
MR
Old December 26th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Your symptoms sound a lot like a bad coolant temperature sensor to me since
it would tell the engine computer the engine was always cold sending it more
fuel and running rich.

A slipping belt would not cause the symptoms you were seeing. It's good you
replaced the bad belt, but I'd be suspicious and be on the look out for them
to return.

Bob

newsp.tk0gnwcc46xnuk@mr-notebook...

Old December 30th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

Is the sensor the same as the one for the temp indicator on dash? If so,
it seems to be showing the correct temp. Also, is the temp sensor easy to
replace.
Thanks,
MR

Old December 30th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

What year and type vehicle? Earlier models used two sensors so the driver
temp gauge could still read correctly while the one reporting the coolant
temp to the computer could be broken.

Bob

newsp.tldjddp446xnuk@mr-notebook...

Old December 31st 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

97 SL1,
Thanks again,
MR

Old December 31st 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

That model had just one sensor.

"mrichards" > wrote in message
newsp.tlffrtug46xnuk@mr-notebook...
> 97 SL1,
> Thanks again,
> MR
>
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:34:27 -0500, Bob Shuman >
> wrote:
>
>> What year and type vehicle? Earlier models used two sensors so the
>> driver
>> temp gauge could still read correctly while the one reporting the coolant
>> temp to the computer could be broken.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> "mrichards" > wrote in message
>> newsp.tldjddp446xnuk@mr-notebook...
>>> Is the sensor the same as the one for the temp indicator on dash? If
>>> so,
>>> it seems to be showing the correct temp. Also, is the temp sensor easy
>>> replace.
>>> Thanks,