Gas and evaporation.

Old December 7th 13, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

Default Gas and evaporation.

Retired > wrote:
> On 12/5/13, 2:47 PM, JR wrote:
>> Yesterday afternoon I poured a few ounces of gas (lawn mower ethanol
>> gas) in a little round clean tuna fish can. To simulate a carburetor
>> butterfly valve I put the bottom of a tuna fish can on top of the can
>> with gas in it, closing off some of the air. (carburetor butterfly
>> valves do not close air tight) I just now checked it, most of the gas
>> has evaporated out of there, probally that ethanol alcohol too. I think
>> now I am going to fill the carburetor bowl in my 1948 Willys Jeep and
>> see what happens. Metinks that is what happens to the carburetor bowl
>> gas in my 1983 Dodge van, because I don't drive it often enough to keep
>> the carburetor bowl full of gas. T'is.
>>

> Consider replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric. I did this
> on a 1958 Dodge Power Wagon that sat a lot. Turn key on for a few
> seconds, let the pump fill the bowl, starts up on first turn.

I should do that with my 66 Datsun roadster. If it sits I have to do a lot
of cranking before it starts.

Greg
Old December 7th 13, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 12/6/2013 8:22 PM, gregz wrote:
> Retired > wrote:
>> On 12/5/13, 2:47 PM, JR wrote:
>>> Yesterday afternoon I poured a few ounces of gas (lawn mower ethanol
>>> gas) in a little round clean tuna fish can. To simulate a carburetor
>>> butterfly valve I put the bottom of a tuna fish can on top of the can
>>> with gas in it, closing off some of the air. (carburetor butterfly
>>> valves do not close air tight) I just now checked it, most of the gas
>>> has evaporated out of there, probally that ethanol alcohol too. I think
>>> now I am going to fill the carburetor bowl in my 1948 Willys Jeep and
>>> see what happens. Metinks that is what happens to the carburetor bowl
>>> gas in my 1983 Dodge van, because I don't drive it often enough to keep
>>> the carburetor bowl full of gas. T'is.
>>>

>> Consider replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric. I did this
>> on a 1958 Dodge Power Wagon that sat a lot. Turn key on for a few
>> seconds, let the pump fill the bowl, starts up on first turn.

> I should do that with my 66 Datsun roadster. If it sits I have to do a lot
> of cranking before it starts.
>
> Greg

With a mechanical fuel pump, a small splash of gasoline or
ether in the air cleaner does the same thing with much less
trouble.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old December 7th 13, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 10:49:22 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
> On 12/6/2013 8:22 PM, gregz wrote:
>
> > Retired > wrote:

> >> Consider replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric. I did this

> >> on a 1958 Dodge Power Wagon that sat a lot. Turn key on for a few

> >> seconds, let the pump fill the bowl, starts up on first turn.

> > I should do that with my 66 Datsun roadster. If it sits I have to do a lot

> > of cranking before it starts.

> > Greg

> With a mechanical fuel pump, a small splash of gasoline or
>
> ether in the air cleaner does the same thing with much less
>
> trouble.
>

> --
>
> Andrew Muzi
>
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Whenever I get ready to go shopping I always open the hood and check the oil and other stuff. Next time I will squirt some starting fluid through the air filter horn and see if that helps. I will buy some small diameter copper tubing and flare one end with my flaring tool for a little funnel I have here. I still want to try out the copper tube 'trick' for putting some gas in the carburetor bowl. Who knows? It just might work OK. It is kind of hard to remove the engine hood cover due to a close fit between the two front seats in my van.