Do you back into your driveway?

Old July 16th 05, 06:18 AM
The Real Bev

Ed Stasiak wrote:

> > Dennis M wrote
> >
> > A larger city close to me is now trying to pass a law
> > preventing people from keeping their tarp-covered boats
> > parked in their front yards, claiming it's too much of
> > an eyesore. Usually, the only ones doing this are those
> > who don't have the option of storing it behind their
> > house or in a garage.

> That's been the law in my home town in metro Detroit
> for years, you have to store your boat or camper in
> the garage and if it don't fit, then it will have to
> go to a storage facility.

Rotten place to live. A man's motorhome ought to be his castle.

> This is to prevent people from parking their gigantic
> yacht or humongous camper in their driveway or backyard
> 364 days a year, making the neighborhood look like a
> storage lot.

The city here thought it would be a good idea to pass such an ordinance. Then
the community explained in no undertain terms that (a) there were no suitable
storage facilities within 30 miles; (b) people who paid $100K for a
motorhome were not going to roll over for such a silly rule, especially since
most homes were not designed with storage for a 34-foot motorhome in mind;
(c) most of the people with such vehicles were well-to-do, articulate and
politically active; (d) There were a lot more large-vehicle owners than there
were city councildroids; and (e) one of the councildroids himself owned such
a vehicle.

> Of course if you're on good terms with your neighbors
> and your boat/camper isn't that big, you can get away
> with it.

We should NOT have to depend on the kindness of our neighbors to not tattle
when we violate some rule that should never have been made. Selective
enforcement is improper in a free society.

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
Old July 16th 05, 07:09 AM
Bob Ward

On 15 Jul 2005 16:43:21 -0700, wrote:

>I front in *AND* front out of my driveway! All you need is a circular
>driveway.

Actually, a half-circle will suffice.

Old July 16th 05, 02:00 PM
G Henslee

Kevin Spencer wrote:
> I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I find
> myself always backing into the driveway now when I park, or am I
> unusual?
>
> Kevin Spencer

You must lead an exciting life. And no doubt back into other things as
well. Thanks for sharing...
Old July 16th 05, 02:02 PM
G Henslee

Ed Stasiak wrote:
>>Dennis M wrote
>>
>>A larger city close to me is now trying to pass a law
>>preventing people from keeping their tarp-covered boats
>>parked in their front yards, claiming it's too much of
>>an eyesore. Usually, the only ones doing this are those
>>who don't have the option of storing it behind their
>>house or in a garage.

That's not uncommon im many cities nationwide anymore. Some cities
allow so many hours a month that the boat or RV can be parked on the
property.
Old July 16th 05, 02:06 PM
G Henslee

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Kevin Spencer wrote:
>

>>I wanted to get some opinions about my behavior. I recently moved into a
>>house (I'm house-sitting for a few years) and I have never had my own
>>driveway before this move. I find myself always backing into the
>>driveway now when I park, so when it's time for me to go anywhere, I can
>>pull out forward, and I won't have to worry about backing into a small
>>child or another vehicle.

> Yours is a smarter and safer way to use a home driveway than the more
> common method of nosing in and backing out, and for exactly the reason you
> state.

Many people would be surprised to know that some cities have ordinances
prohibiting backing a car out of a driveway onto a major thoroughfare.
People who live on busy main streets will quite often have circle drives
or turn-around areas that they can pull into and back up to the house
just enough to get facing forward to exit the driveway.
Old July 16th 05, 05:33 PM
Ed Stasiak

> The Real Bev wrote
> > Ed Stasiak wrote
> >
> > That's been the law in my home town in metro Detroit
> > for years, you have to store your boat or camper in
> > the garage and if it don't fit, then it will have to
> > go to a storage facility.

> Rotten place to live.

Not at all, it keeps the city from looking like a storage
lot.

> A man's motorhome ought to be his castle.

But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
in my backyard.

It's the equivalent of putting a car up on cinder blocks
like a hillbilly, it's an eye-sore.

> > This is to prevent people from parking their gigantic
> > yacht or humongous camper in their driveway or backyard
> > 364 days a year, making the neighborhood look like a
> > storage lot.

> The city here thought it would be a good idea to pass such
> an ordinance. Then the community explained in no undertain
> terms that (a) there were no suitable storage facilities
> within 30 miles;

If you can tow that boat/camper 200+ miles when you're going
on vacation, you can tow it 30 miles to the storage lot.

> (b) people who paid $100K for a motorhome were not going
> to roll over for such a silly rule, especially since most
> homes were not designed with storage for a 34-foot motorhome
> in mind;

And people who paid 2-3x that much for their home don't
want to look out their window day after day and see your
camper/boat parked behind your garage, (out of sight for
you but right in my line of sight) wrapped in tarps with
knee high grass growing around it and varmints raising
babies underneath it.

> (c) most of the people with such vehicles were well-to-do,
> articulate and politically active;

If they can afford a camper/boat that is too large to fit
in their garage, (or build a pole-barn to store it) they
can afford to keep it at a storage lot during the off season.

My friends father-in-law has a 23' boat that when it isn't
at the marina during the summer months, is stored at a lot
a few miles away for $35 a month.

If he were to store it in his driveway, (can't get it in
the back yard) not only would it look like hell but the
trailer tongue would block the entire sidewalk.

> (d) There were a lot more large-vehicle owners than there
> were city councildroids;

But the city council exists to serve the entire community,
(the majority of whom do not own huge boats/campers) not
just a few camper/boat owners who are too cheep to store
their toys in a storage lot during the off season.

> (e) one of the councildroids himself owned such a vehicle.

See above.

> > Of course if you're on good terms with your neighbors
> > and your boat/camper isn't that big, you can get away
> > with it.

> We should NOT have to depend on the kindness of our
> neighbors to not tattle when we violate some rule that
> should never have been made.

The ordnance was passed because even if it's a brand-new
boat or camper, it's an eye-sore when it's sitting there
all year long and of course there are those who would fill
their yard with broken-down cars, boats, campers, ect.
simply because they are junk collectors.

But why should I have my property value go down along with
my quality of life, because you want to store a behemoth
motorhome or the Love Boat in your backyard or driveway?

> Selective enforcement is improper in a free society.

The ordnance in my town (and I assume this is pretty much
the case throughout Michigan) is that one can park their
toy in the driveway for 4 days at a time.

But during the summer when people are regularly boating
or camping, most people just leave their toys in the
driveway all season long so they can easily move in and
out and nobody complains about it.

It's only during the off-season that one can't store
a boat or camper in the driveway or backyard and in the
northern 'burbs of Detroit, where many people have 1-2+
acre lots, this rule is almost never enforced.

And even here in a heavily urbanized city, I see many
people getting away with storing pop-up campers or
smaller boats all year long in their backyards (usually
on a cement pad tucked away behind the garage).

I stored my friends pop-up camper on my driveway (in
the back yard) all last winter and none of my neighbors
had a problem with it, but then I don't get in feuds
with them.

Old July 16th 05, 06:46 PM
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/16/05 12:33 pm Ed Stasiak tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

> My friends father-in-law has a 23' boat that when it isn't
> at the marina during the summer months, is stored at a lot
> a few miles away for $35 a month.
>
> If he were to store it in his driveway, (can't get it in
> the back yard) not only would it look like hell but the
> trailer tongue would block the entire sidewalk.

That would undoubtedly be a violation. But supposing it doesn't block
the sidewalk?

>>Selective enforcement is improper in a free society.

> The ordnance in my town (and I assume this is pretty much
> the case throughout Michigan) is that one can park their
> toy in the driveway for 4 days at a time.

I don't think that can be a general rule in MI, because the township
code here (Holland Twp.) requires provision of only two parking *spaces*
for each residence. I didn't see anything to suggest that those spaces
must be enclosed. I deduce that one may park two (or even more) vehicles
in one's driveway. Our neighbors across the street have regularly had
four or more vehicles parked in their driveway, their triple garage
being full of other stuff. Many other neighbors have boats parked in
their driveways or alongside their houses, some all year round. No problem.

> But during the summer when people are regularly boating
> or camping, most people just leave their toys in the
> driveway all season long so they can easily move in and
> out and nobody complains about it.
>
> It's only during the off-season that one can't store
> a boat or camper in the driveway or backyard and in the
> northern 'burbs of Detroit, where many people have 1-2+
> acre lots, this rule is almost never enforced.
>
> And even here in a heavily urbanized city, I see many
> people getting away with storing pop-up campers or
> smaller boats all year long in their backyards (usually
> on a cement pad tucked away behind the garage).
>
> I stored my friends pop-up camper on my driveway (in
> the back yard) all last winter and none of my neighbors
> had a problem with it, but then I don't get in feuds
> with them.

Perce
Old July 16th 05, 06:51 PM
Wordsmith

You are unusually conscientious in looking out for kids and other
vehicles.
Lead on, sir.

W : )

Old July 16th 05, 07:11 PM
Larry Bud

Doug Miller wrote:
> In article . com>, "Larry Bud" > wrote:
> >
> >Why doesn't he have to worry about backing into a child when parking
> >the car?

> Perhaps neither he nor his neighbors have children...

Then the original argument of worrying about backing into a child when
pulling out doesn't apply either.

Old July 16th 05, 11:21 PM
Ed Stasiak

> Percival P. Cassidy wrote
> > Ed Stasiak wrote
> >
> > If he were to store it in his driveway, (can't get it in
> > the back yard) not only would it look like hell but the
> > trailer tongue would block the entire sidewalk.

> That would undoubtedly be a violation. But supposing
> it doesn't block the sidewalk?

Legally you can only keep a boat, camper, broken down car,
ect in your driveway or backyard for 4 days but the SOP seems
to be to keep the boat/camper at home all summer, even if it's
only used one or twice.

Now if your neighbors don't complain, you can keep it there all
year round. Of course all it takes is one anonymous phone call
to city hall, and you'll be towing your boat to the storage lot
thru 12" of snow in the middle of February....

> > The ordnance in my town (and I assume this is pretty much
> > the case throughout Michigan) is that one can park their
> > toy in the driveway for 4 days at a time.

> I don't think that can be a general rule in MI,

I've always understood that it was a state ordnance but it
seems that cities can have their own rules;

Novi, MI;
"Except where otherwise permitted in this Ordinance, the off-
street parking of a mobile home for periods exceeding twenty-
four (24) hours on lands not approved for mobile homes or
mobile home parks, shall be expressly prohibited, except that
the Building Inspector [Official] may extend temporary permits
allowing the parking of a mobile home in a rear yard on private
property, not to exceed a period of two (2) weeks."

Marysville, MI;
"If the recreational equipment is parked or stored outside of
a garage, it shall be parked or stored in the side or rear yard
as defined in the Marysville Zoning Ordinance. At no time shall
the recreational equipment protrude beyond the front line of
the swelling.
Recreational equipment and/or recreational vehicles may be
parked anywhere on the premises for loading or unloading
purposes for a period of not more than forty-eight (48) hours."

Northville, MI;
"Not more than one of each of the above enumerated apparatus, with
a maximum or four (4) of the same may be parked or stored on a lot
of record which is zoned and used for residential purposes; no closer
than three (3) feet to any side or rear lot line; and ownership of
said apparatus must be in the name of a member of the immediate
family of the lot's owner, tenant or lessee.
Campers, travel trailers, motorized homes, mobile homes and general
utility trailers may be parked anywhere on the premises for loading
or unloading purposes for a period not to exceed seventy-two (72)
hours except the time limit shall not apply to rear yard area."

> Many other neighbors have boats parked in their driveways or
> alongside their houses, some all year round. No problem.

Like I said, I see people doing that here also even thou it's
illegal but as long as nobody calls city hall, (like the owner
of the local storage facility....) you're alright.