The Catalytic Converter Failure for the Honda Accord EX1999/4D/2.3L

Old January 28th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default The Catalytic Converter Failure for the Honda Accord EX1999/4D/2.3L

Dear Fellow members,

I recently bought a second hand Honda Accord Ex 1999.
Recently the Check engine light came on. I took it to the Honda dealer
and he
told me that diagnostics check show that

- Error Code 430 Catalytic converter has failed. ( Ie its performance
below the thershold level).

The dealer is asking me around 1050/- dollars for replacing the
catalytic converter.

I did a search at the car-stuff, And i am seeing the Following Quotes.

1) I am seeing the Following Quotes

a) Eastern Catalytic from 89/- to 168/- dollars

b) DEC from 177 to 282/- dollars

c) Bosal 233/-

I have following questions

1) Which one of these Catalytic Convertor will work for the Honda
Accord EX 1999, 4D 2.3 L

2) Which of these Brands is the best .

3) Why dealer is Quoting me so much( I understand that replacing
catalytic converter is half an Hour labour)

Please advice me. If some one has any other suggestions better
solutions for this problem
please share.

Attached is the link for the Catalytic converters
http://www.car-stuff.com/catalytic/q...1999&model=360

Old January 28th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Mileage on this car is 112000.

Could this Code be Due to the Oxygen Sensor Failure.

Does these Brands of Catalytic convertors will be able to pass the
MA(Mass) Emission test.

Old January 29th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Try something simple. My light came on last month. One mechanic was
helpful enough to try something simple. Disconnect the battery for
10-15 minutes or so and connect it again. That solved my problem by
resetting the computer. I've traveled hundreds of miles now with no
light and no problems.

Old January 29th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Hi
My Battery is having some problem also. Its an old battery which needs
to be replaced.
Recently it went down i have to call AAA to jump start the car.
Should i ask the mechanic to restart it???

Old January 29th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Can it be due to weak battery??
My battery is almost gone.

Old January 30th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

JustLearning wrote:
> Try something simple. My light came on last month. One mechanic was
> helpful enough to try something simple. Disconnect the battery for
> 10-15 minutes or so and connect it again. That solved my problem by
> resetting the computer. I've traveled hundreds of miles now with no
> light and no problems.

thats one way that works on some cars. if you plan on driving cars made
from 1996-2006, $99 for a code scanner/resetter isnt a bad deal. then
youd also know what the code is, as well.
Old January 30th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Dealer did the diagnostic test and came with the error code of 430.

Whats the code resetter??

Old January 30th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Pull the Clock - Backup fuse for a minute. Or disconnect the battery to
clear the memory. YOu can also go to your local AutoZone and use their
OBD-II reader to read/clear codes.

Honda is not the only make with catalytic converter problems. The
current generation of Toyotas are having the same trouble and they'll
swap out the cat under extended warranty. There appears to be a problem
with the ECM and how it interacts with the oxygen sensors.

Better get Bosch sensors I'll say. Don't use NTK or Denso knock-offs.

Old February 4th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Is honda's catalytic convertor has a life time warranty??