Car died

Old March 17th 10, 12:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Car died

jasper wrote:
> On Mar 16, 9:42 am, "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>> Started making a loud rattling noise. By the time I got off the highway and
>> stopped there was a burning rubber smell, car starts but won't idle.
>> Managed to get it to the parking lot at work. Alternator?????

> Frank, Where are you located in the US ?
>
> Bruce Haskin

I do believe that Frank is from the Dallas area. I want a prize if I got
it right. ;-)

Saint Patrick
Old March 17th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

jasper wrote:
> On Mar 16, 9:42 am, "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>> Started making a loud rattling noise. By the time I got off the
>> highway and stopped there was a burning rubber smell, car starts but
>> won't idle. Managed to get it to the parking lot at work.
>> Alternator?????

> Frank, Where are you located in the US ?
>
> Bruce Haskin

Dallas.

Old March 17th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> jasper wrote:
>> On Mar 16, 9:42 am, "Frank Berger" >
>> wrote:
>>> Started making a loud rattling noise. By the time I got off the
>>> highway and stopped there was a burning rubber smell, car starts
>>> but won't idle. Managed to get it to the parking lot at work.
>>> Alternator?????

>> Frank, Where are you located in the US ?
>>
>> Bruce Haskin

> I do believe that Frank is from the Dallas area. I want a prize if I
> got it right. ;-)
>
> Saint Patrick

You win.

Old March 17th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> Frank Berger wrote:
>>>>
>>> A MONTH ago?! And to think 96 and 97 are rumored to have the
>>> strongest internals of most of the BP engines out there. Sorry to
>>> hear you tore yours up.
>>>
>>> I've not done an engine swap on a Miata but it doesn't look too
>>> hard. You could probably get a used engine from a local wrecker and
>>> install it yourself, or have a shop do it, and be driving again for
>>> somewhere around $700(you do the work) to $1200(Shop does the
>>> work). Sometimes the wrecker yards will do the installs for you as
>>> well, and having their guy do it when you buy the engine from them
>>> might only cost you a couple hundred bucks plus any parts you want
>>> changed on the replacement engine(I'd do a water pump and timing
>>> belt/cam /front/rear seals at the very least since the opportunity
>>> is there). Good luck with it.
>>>
>>> Chris

>> Given the condition of the rest of the car, I think it's time to say
>> goodbye. I'll miss it.

> That was the point I got to with the 1991 Silverstone that I had. It
> had body damage and a warped head. It needed many other things like
> shocks, a rear finish panel, the list went on and on.
>
> It would have taken at least $5,000.00 to have it back on the road in
> good shape, and it might have had a total value of $4,000.00 at that
> point, probably less.
>
> Good luck on finding a replacement!
>
> Saint Patrick

I have a friend who's a mechanic and buys and sells cars for a side living.
He went down to the weekly fleet auction today and got me Black 2009 Camry
SE, less than 30K miles, for about $15,000. This will be for my wife. I'll
inherit the Explorer temporarily. I really *want* to replace it with
something sportier, but I'm not sure whether it should be another Miata.

Old March 17th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Frank Berger wrote:
> pws wrote:
>> Frank Berger wrote:

>>> Given the condition of the rest of the car, I think it's time to say
>>> goodbye. I'll miss it.

>> That was the point I got to with the 1991 Silverstone that I had. It
>> had body damage and a warped head. It needed many other things like
>> shocks, a rear finish panel, the list went on and on.
>>
>> It would have taken at least $5,000.00 to have it back on the road in
>> good shape, and it might have had a total value of $4,000.00 at that
>> point, probably less.
>>
>> Good luck on finding a replacement!
>>
>> Saint Patrick

> I have a friend who's a mechanic and buys and sells cars for a side
> living. He went down to the weekly fleet auction today and got me
> Black 2009 Camry SE, less than 30K miles, for about $15,000. This
> will be for my wife. I'll inherit the Explorer temporarily. I
> really *want* to replace it with something sportier, but I'm not sure
> whether it should be another Miata.

Can anyone suggest how I could lose all my oil and not have a low oil
pressure warning ??????

Old March 17th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:

> I have a friend who's a mechanic and buys and sells cars for a side living.
> He went down to the weekly fleet auction today and got me Black 2009 Camry
> SE, less than 30K miles, for about $15,000. This will be for my wife. I'll
> inherit the Explorer temporarily. I really *want* to replace it with
> something sportier, but I'm not sure whether it should be another Miata.

Excellent choice! I am going to look for a similar deal for my parents soon.
Old March 17th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:

> Can anyone suggest how I could lose all my oil and not have a low oil
> pressure warning ??????

A bad sender for the oil pressure light is the only thing I can think
of, that or a bad bulb in the dash.

Old March 17th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
T.J. Higgins

In article > , Frank Berger wrote:
>Can anyone suggest how I could lose all my oil and not have a low oil
>pressure warning ??????

Faulty warning sensor.

--
TJH

tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Old March 17th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message

> I do believe that Frank is from the Dallas area. I want a prize if I got
> it right. ;-)
>
> Saint Patrick

Your prize is that you get to play 'saint' for a day ;-)
Happy SPD by the way, Patrick!

Chris
99BBB

Old March 19th 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who's a mechanic and buys and sells cars for a side
>> living. He went down to the weekly fleet auction today and got me
>> Black 2009 Camry SE, less than 30K miles, for about $15,000. This
>> will be for my wife. I'll inherit the Explorer temporarily. I
>> really *want* to replace it with something sportier, but I'm not
>> sure whether it should be another Miata.

> Excellent choice! I am going to look for a similar deal for my
> parents soon.

My wife loves the Camry. Saw a 2004 Mazdaspeed (50K miles) and a 2005
Silver with 15K (!) miles listed locally. Hmmm. Drove the Explorer the
last couple of days. It's nice being able to listen to music. If I don't
get a Miata, that will be the reason.

Has this NG died again? Papa VW water cooled 1 December 26th 06 01:10 AM
car died ??? [email protected] Saturn 2 December 3rd 06 01:58 PM
car died ??? [email protected] Technology 1 December 2nd 06 12:37 PM
Bug died - Again!!!! Houdsie VW air cooled 8 June 5th 06 01:52 AM
96 LT1 just died Scubabix Corvette 9 July 29th 05 02:48 AM