NSR - Let the issues begin :)

Old February 17th 05, 12:49 AM
Larry

Default NSR - Let the issues begin :)

Ok, I can't even get started.

Athlon64-3500, Radeon 9800 Pro, and I'm getting 8 fps with the game
recommended settings.

Trying to figure it out now...

-Larry

Old February 18th 05, 05:54 AM
Smokin_Bob

It seems that the sim is forcing a 'return to center' spring on the
MOMO Force that I have, and with the FFB to High (heard Full turns it
off....) there are hardly any feedback effects at all--I am thinking I
have something set up incorrectly. Does anyone else have this?
Otherwise, they must have repaved Darlington...

Old February 18th 05, 09:23 AM
Larry

If you have the FF on full, turn them down to High instead. Full seems to
turn them off.

Also, you have to turn on the "Reverse Forces" option. Remember, this is an
ISI based SIM which means negative values for FF. Instead of +- sliders in
NSR there is the "Reverse Forces" option.

-Larry

oups.com...

Old February 18th 05, 02:17 PM
Smokin_Bob

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had all the customary MOMO / ISI settings
done--FF reversed, set to high, etc. and am very surprised at the
centering spring being enabled in the wheel as soon as I hit the track.
I have it off in Windows control panel. It is very un--simlike in
feel. In fact, it feels very much like the Chase for the Cup
physics--touchy steering (at 13:1 or 32:1 steering ratio--feeling is
the same) and literally no feedback through the wheel--just a bit of
resistance due to the centering spring and thats it. And the centering
spring is very unnatural feeling. Honestly, I preferred the feedback
in the wheel that Thunder 2004 gave over this. I cannot believe these
are the ultra hardcore 'sim' physics EA has spoken of--something is
definitely not right here.

Also, and I have no idea what is up with this--the first time I ran the
CUBE 3d config, I got a value of 71.2 M/sec @1600x1200x32 and the sim
ran great. Later on in the night, at Daytona, my FPS nearly was cut in
half and hovered right around the 30 mark. It appeared to be slowing
down the more I played it. I reran CUBE for the heck of it and now it
gives 35 M/sec which is very difficult to understand.

Aside from the 'arcade' handling (I am still assuming setup issue
here), the graphics are gorgeous for the tracks and the dynamic weather
changes are very well done, in my opinion. I see a huge amount of
improvement here, but the driving model, for whatever reason, is
behaving exactly like my Chase for the Cup XBOX game at the moment.

And unlike all other ISI sims and mods for them--there are absolutely
no lines in the *.plr file for the controller options--this abscence is
interesting.....

Thanks again for the reply, Larry!!

Old February 18th 05, 02:33 PM
David G Fisher

Something's wrong then. I had ff set to full and had almost no feedback. Set
it to high and now the ff is excellent. Don't know how to solve your problem
though, but I can tell you that you are definitely not experiencing the true
ff effects.

--
David G Fisher

oups.com...

Old February 18th 05, 02:57 PM
Smokin_Bob

It is strange--and the centering spring 'forcing' is very wrong. I
have the feedback set to High now (and even at Full, the 'resistance'
is there, but no feedback) Turning it to medium the wheel is absolutely
not returning to center (like all other sims I have played) but the FFB
is non existent. I am still trying to work out the kinks here, but
this is a bit disappointing as I know this is not the true physics of
the thing. But the first time I hit the track--you can see the stick
'jiggle' a bit as the center spring command is sent to it by the sim.

What kind of feedback are you getting David? Is it simply a
'resistance to moving the wheel' like I have, or is it actually giving
you some bumps? I took it out to Darlington and the track and steering
were so smooth as to be hugely unbelievable. I am not sure if they had
time to 'bump model' the tracks, but even contact with other objects
give zero feedback.

I have used two ways to set the wheel--One with the default Logitech
setup, but this does not work as it gives all the wrong axis for
braking and steering, so I am forced to customize it by remapping all
the buttons and shifter. I am going to keep looking for a solution
because if this is the way it is, I have to say it's the best port of a
console game yet--but no where near what Papyrus did 3 years ago, and
ISI did last year. This is Tiburons baby here, and I sure hope what I
am seeing is a config issue, or something that can be patched. There
was a mention in the readme of sometimes controllers not being
recognized, so you just had to reset the wheel in the sim. Even this
does not work.

Huge disappointment with the driving model, the rest of the sim I am
drooling over

Old February 18th 05, 03:45 PM
fredrickson

Smokin_Bob wrote:
> It is strange--and the centering spring 'forcing' is very wrong. I
> have the feedback set to High now (and even at Full, the 'resistance'
> is there, but no feedback) Turning it to medium the wheel is absolutely
> not returning to center (like all other sims I have played) but the FFB
> is non existent. I am still trying to work out the kinks here, but
> this is a bit disappointing as I know this is not the true physics of
> the thing. But the first time I hit the track--you can see the stick
> 'jiggle' a bit as the center spring command is sent to it by the sim.

is it set to "wheel" ?
Old February 18th 05, 04:11 PM
Smokin_Bob

fredrickson,

Yes, it is set to wheel. I made a typo in my post in reference to the
'stick jiggle' I meant that the wheel would give a jitter as the
driving portion of the sim is entered. I am going to reinstall the
demo and give it a look as I do not remember having this issue with the
demo. Even though the demo physics are reported as being not
finalized, I am more interested in seeing how the wheel behaves there.

Old February 18th 05, 04:19 PM
Mitch_A

Smokin_Bob wrote:

> It is strange--and the centering spring 'forcing' is very wrong. I
> have the feedback set to High now (and even at Full, the 'resistance'
> is there, but no feedback) Turning it to medium the wheel is absolutely
> not returning to center (like all other sims I have played) but the FFB
> is non existent. I am still trying to work out the kinks here, but
> this is a bit disappointing as I know this is not the true physics of
> the thing. But the first time I hit the track--you can see the stick
> 'jiggle' a bit as the center spring command is sent to it by the sim.
>
> What kind of feedback are you getting David? Is it simply a
> 'resistance to moving the wheel' like I have, or is it actually giving
> you some bumps? I took it out to Darlington and the track and steering
> were so smooth as to be hugely unbelievable. I am not sure if they had
> time to 'bump model' the tracks, but even contact with other objects
> give zero feedback.
>
> I have used two ways to set the wheel--One with the default Logitech
> setup, but this does not work as it gives all the wrong axis for
> braking and steering, so I am forced to customize it by remapping all
> the buttons and shifter. I am going to keep looking for a solution
> because if this is the way it is, I have to say it's the best port of a
> console game yet--but no where near what Papyrus did 3 years ago, and
> ISI did last year. This is Tiburons baby here, and I sure hope what I
> am seeing is a config issue, or something that can be patched. There
> was a mention in the readme of sometimes controllers not being
> recognized, so you just had to reset the wheel in the sim. Even this
> does not work.
>
> Huge disappointment with the driving model, the rest of the sim I am
> drooling over

Remember the Momo Racing is NOT a Momo Force. The Momo Racing has always
had better FF effects, or a stonger motor

On my Force I feel almost nothing in NSR. Ive tried every possible combo
and their just isnt hardly any FF effects coming from the track to the
wheel.

Everytime I run NSR I come away with more dissapointment.

When is RFActor coming out again?

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
Old February 18th 05, 04:40 PM
Smokin_Bob

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!! I reinstalled the demo, and the same effect
was noticed. I thought about fredricksons post, and for the heck of it
set the output to joystick, instead of wheel.......and now I have more
FFB than I know what to do with!!! Unbelievable, but true in my
case--setting it to JOYSTICK fixed it for me--bumps, wall hits, grass
driving--it can all be felt now!!!

If you have wheel problems, try the JOYSTICK setting--it is a HUGE
difference!! I wonder if there is a bug for the MOMO Force wheel...

Thanks again for all the help, I am so glad I finally got this sorted.