BMW 525i Jump Start Damage

Old January 3rd 05, 07:12 AM
Paul

Default BMW 525i Jump Start Damage

I used my 86 BMW 525I to jump start another car and connected the
jumper leads in reversed polarity! (silly me thought a black wire was
negative in all parts of the world). The BMW now starts but will not
idle at any speeds. On starting it fires up ok but then dies and I
have to gun the accelerator to keep it going before it dies again etc.
Can anyone tell me which component of the electrics I should look at
first, coil?
Old January 3rd 05, 01:06 PM
John Burns

> I used my 86 BMW 525I to jump start another car and connected the
> jumper leads in reversed polarity! (silly me thought a black wire was
> negative in all parts of the world). The BMW now starts but will not
> idle at any speeds. On starting it fires up ok but then dies and I
> have to gun the accelerator to keep it going before it dies again etc.

On Jet-L cars isn't the idle control valve controlled by it's own
electronics pod instead of the main fuel injection control unit? This
would do it.

You've been lucky BTW. A mate did the same thing with his 82 635CSi and
needed a whole new fuse box!

I had a 318i with your problem, the throttle position switch was out of
adjustment.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old January 3rd 05, 04:57 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
John Burns > wrote:
> You've been lucky BTW. A mate did the same thing with his 82 635CSi and
> needed a whole new fuse box!

I'm curious about the theory behind this. Damage to the car with the flat
battery might be possible, but in the OP's case, his was the 'donor' car.

Can't see a flat battery causing polarity reversal to a good one.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.