{OT} -- Computer Problem

Old January 18th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ufatbastehd

Default {OT} -- Computer Problem

Earl you are so right. As the resident Techie in my family I should
have screwed up my first few times I helped out. Now I get the machines
running smooth only to have it farked up again by those I just fixed
it for.

Old January 18th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

That would be my approach too. I'd bet he doesn't have enough RAM though.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

ups.com...

Old January 18th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Curtis

oops didn't see that - well sounds like you found the culprit...100%
cpu yeah that will slow you down...here's a good link on optimizing
your page file ...

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

The Task Manager was reporting CPU Usage at 100%, but now is hovering
in a
range of about 5% to 30%, and seems to spend most of the time at about
20%.
And, it's actively Defragging at this time.

Old January 18th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ufatbastehd

If you have the original XP disc that came with the machine I would
reformat the hard drive.
Then re-install windows XP.

I would also download all the drivers I need and have them on a cd
prior to reformat.

I've found that machines bog down after time with a lot of bloat from
programs either installed or deleted.
I reformat about once a year.
A re-format and reinstall even though its time consuming will pep the
machine up again. You will be left with a clean OS for a while anyway.

Old January 18th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:05:50 +0000, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> I suspect (still) that my b-in-law's machine might have a virus. I use the
> built-in Defrag that comes with Windows, but I haven't a utility that
> cleans the Registry. I have a strong suspicion that my troubles are in the
> Registry, but I am not smart enough to know what is a Registry Requirement
> and what is a Bogus Registry Entry.
>
> Do you, or anybody else, know if I can reinstall XP using a different copy
> of the OS than the one that came installed on the machine?

If you have the install disks - not the recovery disks that came with the
machine - you are home free. You can use the recovery version (if the OEM
supplied it) on the machine it shipped with (others if you are clever and
a bit lucky) but the honest-to-goodness Install Disks from MS will work on
anything meeting hardware specs.

I have a problem with about all of the anti-virus apps at times.
I've watched McAfee bring even the fastest machines to their knees. One
office had all sorts of email traffic and the 2007 version basically
killed the box during mail retrieval. To see if that is the problem,
disconnect the machine from the net, do a full scan, then turn the virus
scanner OFF and see what it's doing.

For a really infected machine - which this office got a couple of times - I
pull the drive and install it as a secondary drive in another machine to
scan it and clean it up.

Will Honea >
Old January 18th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_1_]

With Windows XP, you are a bit underpowered on ram. Many folks believe
that 512 mb is minimum, and more is better.

Good luck !!

--james--

Old January 18th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

My Dad has an AMD 2.5 MHz with 384mb of 2100 ram, I have a Celeron 2.2 with
756mb of the obsolete 133 MHz ram which runs incredibly faster. The only
real difference in the systems is the amount of RAM installed.

That being said there are a number of settings that you can change to speed
up windows.

From Explorer select 'Tools" then 'Internet Options"
Select "Delete Cookies", "Clear History", and both options of 'Delete
Files'. This may take a while, the longer it takes the worse shape the
system is in.

Make sure you have removed all of Norton's and that the MS firewall is
turned off. I used to run Norton Suite and Internet Security... after the
2004 version the drag on the system is oppressive so I only run Internet
Security now (includes AntiVirus)

Go to the "Control Panel", then select "System", then "Advanced", then under
'Performance: select "Settings". The default is "Let Windows Decide" which
will scientifically poll, survey, investigate, and finally choose the worst
possible combination imaginable.

If you select "Best Performance" it turns off a lot of the visual settings
that use up resources, it also doesn't look so good. Click on the options
one at a time an see if the change is important to you......I have found
that most of these make no difference to me except the last choice.... "Use
visual Styles on windows and buttons" will re-establish XP back to
color.....

Select 'Advanced" again and go to 'Virtual Memory: As you have too little
'real' memory you can make XP use hard drive space instead. It is slower
but will get your programs running.

If you got "$40,000 worth of Free software" I hope you have removed most or
all of it as it is useless.... that is why it was free....

From "My Computer" select your root drive and select "Disk Cleanup", allow
it to clean up anything it finds. Then go to "Tools" and "Error Check" the
drive. It will actually do the checking the next time you start the system
and takes a fair amount of time (it will tell you how far it is through each
step)

We will assume you have already deleted all the 'free' nudie pictures,
programs, and screen savers that have been downloaded and installed.
99.44/100% are virus laden and the remaining 0.56% aren't worth having.

If you are virus laden if may be faster to format the drive and reload
everything (the first thing to install after XP is the virus software)

In the case of a reload you can still use the recommendations listed above
to increase performance.

As for using 'your' serial number and another copy of XP..... I do not know.
The problem with many of the "Restore" CDs is they insist on reloading that
$40k worth of wasted space.

Old January 18th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

PS Stay away from Registry Editors.

Most of the time their use results in a system even more screwed up than
before unless you know exactly what you are doing.

You may also consider LavaSoft's Ad-Aware and another program called Spybot.
Both offer a free version that is quite useful.

Old January 18th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Microsoft's not done till Lotus won't run.

m...

Old January 18th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Unless your needs are unusual all you need out of Office is Word, Excel,
and PowerPoint and my main use of Excel and PowerPoint is the stuff people
send me for laughs or to review.