niose in wheel well area

Old October 17th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
mab6680

Default niose in wheel well area

i have a 2000 xls 4wd 4.0 ohv i repaced the rack and tie rod ends about a
year ago and just replaced all of the ball joints and end links last
weekend when i was done and took it for a test ride there is a rattle and
a thump in the front passenger side wheel well so i took it back home and
checked it out and found a bad tie rod so i changed the tie rod now the
thump is gone but the rattle is still there it only happens at slow speeds
when i drive on uneven ashphalt i cant find any thing wrong with the fron
end nothing loose any help would be great thank you

Old October 22nd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
mab6680

not like anyone here was a big help but it was a bad wheel bearing

Old October 22nd 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 22:28:37 -0400, "mab6680" >
wrote:

>not like anyone here was a big help but it was a bad wheel bearing

Hmm, mine makes some odd noises, perhaps I should check mine.
Old October 24th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
mab6680

it sounds alot like a broken shock mount

Old October 28th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:36:38 -0400, "mab6680" >
wrote:

>it sounds alot like a broken shock mount

I intended to just tighten the wheel bearings, if they needed it. When
I first got this truck back in 92 and did the first wheel bearing
repack I was worried I'd mess up something with the whole 4x4 autohubs
and went thru the whole thing with the repair book in front of me and
spent most of the day repacking the wheel bearings. So this time when
I was just going to check the bearings and make sure they were
adjusted I found that to get to the adjusting nut I had to pull some
parts off first. After 60 seconds I had pulled off all the
"complicated" stuff I was so worried about touching 10 years ago. By
this point I had the front bearing out to check it for wear and
figured I might was well just repack it all. It's amazing how easy it
was now that it was the third time I've done it and how quickly it
went. The biggest amount of time was the time it took to clean up the
old grease off things and repack with new grease. Never did find
anything really wrong but it was definitely time for a bearing repack,
the old grease was starting to get hard from the high temp, I think I
used the wrong grease last time.
Old October 28th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Ashton Crusher wrote:

> After 60 seconds I had pulled off all the
> "complicated" stuff I was so worried about touching 10 years ago. By
> this point I had the front bearing out to check it for wear and
> figured I might was well just repack it all. It's amazing how easy it
> was now that it was the third time I've done it and how quickly it
> went.

Ain't that the truth? I do all kinds of things myself and save a ton
of money, but after buying the special tools, studying the manuals,
searching rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer for pearls of wisdom from you
guys, and getting it done... I'm ready to do it again, now that I'm
good at it!
-Paul