Mileage per tank??

Old July 9th 04, 06:40 PM
Daz N

Default Mileage per tank??

Hi,

I recently changed my BMW 330ci for an A4 Avant 1.9TDi, after a few short
months I've decided I don't get on with diesel engines so I've now swapped
this for an A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro Sport.

Question is how many miles should I aim to get from a tank of fuel,
obviously it depends on driving style, type of roads etc, etc... I'm
looking at an *average*...

BMW 330ci would do 350 miles on 61 litres
A4 1.9 TDi would do 520-550 miles on 65 litres
A4 3.0 Quattro Sport does 260-280 on 65 litres

It just doesn't add up to me, I don't know if the figures look right or
not??

I only ever used Shell Optimax (98 RON) in the BMW from new, I have also
started using Optimax in the A4 but even though it's a new car it's an
ex-demo so has been driven for 4,000 miles. I thought perhaps the car might
take a few tanks to get used to the higher grade fuel or something?

Any advice?!?!?

Thanks!

Daz
(Change (AT) for @ if replying!!)

Old July 9th 04, 07:00 PM
squid

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:40:54 +0100, "Daz N" <darren(AT)clara.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I recently changed my BMW 330ci for an A4 Avant 1.9TDi, after a few short
>months I've decided I don't get on with diesel engines so I've now swapped
>this for an A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro Sport.
>
>Question is how many miles should I aim to get from a tank of fuel,
>obviously it depends on driving style, type of roads etc, etc... I'm
>looking at an *average*...
>
>BMW 330ci would do 350 miles on 61 litres
>A4 1.9 TDi would do 520-550 miles on 65 litres
>A4 3.0 Quattro Sport does 260-280 on 65 litres
>
>It just doesn't add up to me, I don't know if the figures look right or
>not??
>
>I only ever used Shell Optimax (98 RON) in the BMW from new, I have also
>started using Optimax in the A4 but even though it's a new car it's an
>ex-demo so has been driven for 4,000 miles. I thought perhaps the car might
>take a few tanks to get used to the higher grade fuel or something?
>
>Any advice?!?!?

The Quattro weighs a ton

Old July 9th 04, 07:08 PM
Nige

"Daz N" <darren(AT)clara.co.uk> wrote in message t...
> Hi,
>
> I recently changed my BMW 330ci for an A4 Avant 1.9TDi, after a few short
> months I've decided I don't get on with diesel engines so I've now swapped
> this for an A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro Sport.
>
> Question is how many miles should I aim to get from a tank of fuel,
> obviously it depends on driving style, type of roads etc, etc... I'm
> looking at an *average*...
>
> BMW 330ci would do 350 miles on 61 litres
> A4 1.9 TDi would do 520-550 miles on 65 litres
> A4 3.0 Quattro Sport does 260-280 on 65 litres
>
> It just doesn't add up to me, I don't know if the figures look right or
> not??
>
> I only ever used Shell Optimax (98 RON) in the BMW from new, I have also
> started using Optimax in the A4 but even though it's a new car it's an
> ex-demo so has been driven for 4,000 miles. I thought perhaps the car might
> take a few tanks to get used to the higher grade fuel or something?
>
> Any advice?!?!?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daz
> (Change (AT) for @ if replying!!)

If you only get 500 miles from a 1.9td you are doing something wrong. I could get over 600 without trying
hard. Also, a 3.0L Q is very heavy & the drag of the 4wd does use a lot more fuel.

I now have a 3.1l TDi Isuzu Trooper that is huge & does about 30mpg!

Nige

Old July 9th 04, 07:26 PM
Doug Ramage

"Nige" > wrote in message

> "Daz N" <darren(AT)clara.co.uk> wrote in message

t...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently changed my BMW 330ci for an A4 Avant 1.9TDi, after a few

short
> > months I've decided I don't get on with diesel engines so I've now

swapped
> > this for an A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro Sport.
> >
> > Question is how many miles should I aim to get from a tank of fuel,
> > obviously it depends on driving style, type of roads etc, etc... I'm
> > looking at an *average*...
> >
> > BMW 330ci would do 350 miles on 61 litres
> > A4 1.9 TDi would do 520-550 miles on 65 litres
> > A4 3.0 Quattro Sport does 260-280 on 65 litres
> >
> > It just doesn't add up to me, I don't know if the figures look right or
> > not??
> >
> > I only ever used Shell Optimax (98 RON) in the BMW from new, I have also
> > started using Optimax in the A4 but even though it's a new car it's an
> > ex-demo so has been driven for 4,000 miles. I thought perhaps the car

might
> > take a few tanks to get used to the higher grade fuel or something?
> >
> > Any advice?!?!?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Daz
> > (Change (AT) for @ if replying!!)
> >

> If you only get 500 miles from a 1.9td you are doing something wrong. I

could get over 600 without trying
> hard. Also, a 3.0L Q is very heavy & the drag of the 4wd does use a lot

more fuel.

> I now have a 3.1l TDi Isuzu Trooper that is huge & does about 30mpg!

> Nige

Is the A4 3.0L Quattro meant to use 98 RON petrol? My TT V6 DSG is specced
for 95 RON petrol, and some owners have reported poorer fuel economy and
performance with Optimax.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Old July 9th 04, 08:05 PM
Glenn Spence

My 2 cents...

"00 A6 2.7T gets 425 miles per tank average. Best was 24.2 mpg on a 300
mile road trip with average speed of 65 mph according to on-board computer
which included rush hour traffic past Toronto. I use 94 octane (premium
grade around here).

Old July 9th 04, 11:50 PM
Steve Thompson

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, it was written:

> BMW 330ci would do 350 miles on 61 litres
> A4 1.9 TDi would do 520-550 miles on 65 litres
> A4 3.0 Quattro Sport does 260-280 on 65 litres

Daz,

Your consumption for the 3.0 Quattro seems remarkably high, unless you are
doing only very short journeys. I have a 2002 A4 3.0 Quattro, and on 65
litres I get in the region of 430 miles. I am in upstate New York, where
65 litres is 17.1 U.S. gallons, and my average over the last 20,000 miles
has been 25.2 miles per U.S. gallon (30.1 miles per imperial gallon). So,
17.1 * 25.2 = 430.9 miles.

Steve
Old July 10th 04, 12:36 AM
Pete

"Daz N" <darren(AT)clara.co.uk> wrote in message

> BMW 330ci would do 350 miles on 61 litres
> A4 1.9 TDi would do 520-550 miles on 65 litres
> A4 3.0 Quattro Sport does 260-280 on 65 litres

Assuming you don't drive till the last drop but fill up around 60
liters, that gives you about 20.5 mpg (UK).

If my A4 1.8TQ manual can get about 23-24 mpg (UK) around town, then I'd
expect your 3.0 to be just where you are. As others pointed out, it's
heavy, and quattro also accounts for additional gas consumption. But if
this is what you get while leisurely highway driving, then something
ain't right.

Cheers,

Pete

Old July 10th 04, 04:19 AM
JPB357

Daz,

I think you have a serious problem and / or you have a very heavy foot. My
01 A4-1.8Tq averaged 24.5 miles per gallon while I had it. My present A6
2.7Tq averages about 21.5 mpg in general driving and 26.5 mpg on a recent
vacation highway trip with average speeds of 80-85 mph.

That mileage is using premium fuel. Mileage and performance decrease with
octane. I think the increased mileage alone may justify the premium cost.
Perhaps a couple tanks with the addition of Chevron's "Techron" fuel
injector cleaner might help. Make sure you get the right stuff, they also
make a cleaner "with Techron" that is half the cost and not very effective.

Old July 10th 04, 04:23 AM
JPB357

I believe that Audi (US) recommends Premium fuel for all their cars although
the owners manuals on the A4-1.8Tq and the A6-2.7Tq state that any gasoline
over 87 (R+M/2) can be used with decreased performance.