Does this make sense?

Old June 14th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Default Does this make sense?

I took my 97 Accord in to a Honda dealer for maintenance today. They just
called and said they found out that the cover to something (I forgot what)
was leaking oil onto the spark plugs and spark plug wires. They said that
my car has an extended emissions warranty, but technically it does not cover
the spark plugs and wires, but that they could fit it under that warranty
anyways. So I would only have to pay for the cost to fix the cover that was
leaking oil, which would be around $100. They said if I didn't want to the
put the spark plugs and wires under the extended emissions warranty, then it
would cost me an additional $400. Of course I told them to go ahead and fix
it under the warranty.

But I'm a little confused as to why they would want to put it under the
warranty, when it technically isn't covered by it? Doesn't that mean they
eat the cost? Why would they eat the cost when they could just charge me
for it? Since when do these people actually do something to help out the
consumer?

Old June 14th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"accord_owner" > wrote in message
. ..
>I took my 97 Accord in to a Honda dealer for maintenance today. They just
>called and said they found out that the cover to something (I forgot what)
>was leaking oil onto the spark plugs and spark plug wires. They said that
>my car has an extended emissions warranty, but technically it does not
>cover the spark plugs and wires, but that they could fit it under that
>warranty anyways. So I would only have to pay for the cost to fix the
>cover that was leaking oil, which would be around $100. They said if I
>didn't want to the put the spark plugs and wires under the extended
>emissions warranty, then it would cost me an additional $400. Of course I
>told them to go ahead and fix it under the warranty.
>
> But I'm a little confused as to why they would want to put it under the
> warranty, when it technically isn't covered by it? Doesn't that mean they
> eat the cost? Why would they eat the cost when they could just charge me
> for it? Since when do these people actually do something to help out the
> consumer?

It means they get to bill the warranty department at full book value as
opposed to having you haggle with them to knock the price down, or refuse to
have the work done making them ZERO money.

Old June 14th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Most likely valve cover leak.

Old June 15th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

accord_owner wrote:
> I took my 97 Accord in to a Honda dealer for maintenance today. They just
> called and said they found out that the cover to something (I forgot what)
> was leaking oil onto the spark plugs and spark plug wires. They said that
> my car has an extended emissions warranty, but technically it does not cover
> the spark plugs and wires, but that they could fit it under that warranty
> anyways. So I would only have to pay for the cost to fix the cover that was
> leaking oil, which would be around $100. They said if I didn't want to the
> put the spark plugs and wires under the extended emissions warranty, then it
> would cost me an additional $400. Of course I told them to go ahead and fix
> it under the warranty.
>
> But I'm a little confused as to why they would want to put it under the
> warranty, when it technically isn't covered by it? Doesn't that mean they
> eat the cost? Why would they eat the cost when they could just charge me
> for it? Since when do these people actually do something to help out the
> consumer?

honda eats the cost and reimburses the dealer. the dealer figured if YOU
had to pay for it, you might say no. the dealer doesnt give a rats ass
one way or another how they get their money, as long as they get it.