jeep grinding in park and worse in drive up to 30mph

Old March 8th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default jeep grinding in park and worse in drive up to 30mph

i have a '98 jeep grand cherokee laredo that started making a grinding
sound when the car is started and then continues once in drive up until
around 30mph or so and then quiets down. It seems to be in the front
from what i can tell. Mysteriously, this was not a problem at all 3
hours ago. Can someone please help. One thing to keep in mind is that
the car has been parked for 10 days while i was on R+R. I hope that
someone out there can help.

Tony

Old March 8th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Check your power steering fluid.

JoBo

oups.com...

Old March 8th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks alot. One question. If the power steering fluid is low does
that really cause such a terrible grinding sound? It sounds and feels
like grinding that i can feel vibrations. Thanks for everything.

Tony

Old March 8th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Have you checked your brakes?

ups.com...

Old March 8th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

My brakes are brand new. I assume It wouldnt be the brakes since the
noise is almost the strongest in park. Let me know what i should
consider or do. I am tempted not to drive it if it is very serious.
Look forward to any suggestions.

Tony

Old March 8th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If it's the 4.0L six cylinder maybe the harmonic balancer is coming apart.

JoBo

oups.com...

Old March 8th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Check all your fluid levels including transmission. If there are air
bubbles in hydraulic fluid, this will make the host hellish sound you have
ever heard. I guess you might call it "grinding".

Earle

ups.com...

Old March 8th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I would be carefully putting my hand on the alternator to see if it is
getting smoking hot and I would check the PS fluid. The waterpump can
fail, but if it is grinding you should be able to wiggle the pulley when
it's off.

The bottom crank pulley can fail and start walking into the timing
cover.

I would eyeball the belt from the side to see if everything seems lined
up.

Good luck!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 9th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

ok, here is an update. i found that my power steering fluid was low.
i filled it up last night and then checked it around 6pm today. IT WAS
EMPTY. I noticed that it was just going in and out vias a leak. The
fluid leaked and got all over the belt and other things under the hood.
Would the sound being made be caused by the steering fluid getting on
the belt and not allowing it to turn properly. Any suggestion is good.
What should i do to replce the steering fluid container.

Thanks

Old March 9th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The first thing that squires oil all over is bad hose, usually
pressure side. Almost always takes a customized bent wrench to get in
there, might want to take it to a shop.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/