Super Swamper tires

Old March 19th 05, 01:32 PM
Dennis Cox

Default Super Swamper tires

Anyone have any good or bad experience with the Super Swamper tires? The
ones I looked at were the Radial TSL. The guy at 4 Wheel Parts said they
were pretty good on the street and great off-road, but they only last about
30k miles. These are going on my 97 TJ. I've ruled out BFG Muds after
many opinions came back that they were slick on wet pavement. Anything else
I should look at? ProComps?

Thanks as always for your advice and help.

Old March 19th 05, 02:21 PM
Fuzz

They last less than that if you use them on the road.
I had some and they lasted only one full year. I drive 20miles one
way to work everyday also. I bought some mud terrain tires and they
last a lot longer and are just as good in my book.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:32:53 -0600, "Dennis Cox"

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 19th 05, 03:10 PM
Luke

Dennis, I have the 34x10.50x15 Swamper LTBs on my 94YJ and they absolutely
kick ass off road, street driving is a completely different story. They are
loud,really loud,wet traction is ok. My tires have cosiderable wear with
around 7500mi., properly maintained inflation, and regular 3000mi.
rotations. My dads 03' TJ runs the Pro Comp ATs in 32x11.50 and he has half
or better usable tread life after 20k miles. You won't get the aggressive
look or off road performance of the Swampers though with those. Have you
looked at the MT/Rs or the Mud Grapplers? They are pretty soft compounds so
they should offer great traction on and off road but will wear extremely
fast.

news

Old March 19th 05, 05:59 PM
Nathan W. Collier

hi dennis,
if you want something that does great on and off road look at the trxus mud
terrain. http://7slotgrille.com/projects/00sa...res/index.html and then
http://intercotire.com/html/trxus_mt___sts.htm

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

news

Old March 19th 05, 06:35 PM
jbjeep

I run the Super Swamper SSR's (33x12.5) as a comprimise. I do a lot of highway on
them. They are loud, and hard to balance, but they work pretty well on the street
and are good off road. No great for both, but good. The set I have right now I have
had on for nearly 3.5 years, and 38K, after this next long trip I will be putting new
tires on. They are ripped up, slashed, worn, etc, but still doing fine (I have had
several folks offer to buy them). The only reason I am not going to put them on
again is that I now have a second vehicle to drive, and plan to put bias Pitbull's on
instead, since the Jeep will be mainly for offroad/pleasure use now.

If you really need a long lasting mostly road use tire, you may not want to look at
swampers. Most good off road tires are not going to do great on the road, and wont
last as long as a highway tire.

Old March 19th 05, 08:03 PM
Cherokee-Ltd

You're not going to find a tire that is great in the mud AND great on wet
pavement, you have to compromise. If you do mostly mud running you buy a mud
tire and put up with its short comings. If you need a wet pavement tire, you
buy an all terrain and keep your fingers crossed in the mud. BFG Muds do
well in the mud while the AT's are great on wet pavement and good in snow.
Goodyear MTR's do well in mud, well on rocks and fair in wet pavement and
snow. Goodyear set out to build a compromising tire.
I bought the MTR's and I don't regret it but I don't praise them in any one
category. Fact is, they were cheaper than BFG's when I got them on sale.
Decide what you want most and be prepared for some shortcomings.
-Brian

news

Old March 20th 05, 04:05 AM
Dennis Cox

Muchas gracias everyone who replied to my post. All of you confirmed what I
was thinking...the Swampers are as good as any others and that I'll be
comprimising some performance part of whatever tires I buy. Now I'm back to
square 2 in my decision. Square 1 was choosing the size...33x12.5x15.

Thanks,
news

Old March 20th 05, 07:58 AM
Eric

I have the BFG MTs and think they're quieter than the A/Ts I had before. A
little less grip on wet pavement, but far more grip on the rocks and in the
mud. Great tires -- when it's time for new ones, I'll be buying more of the
same.

Eric
99 TJ SE

Old March 21st 05, 03:00 AM
CJ5 on 35's

Check out the dunlops on tirerack.com
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....al+Mud+Rov er

I have the 35x12.50 r15 on my cj5 and love them...at $120 per...a great
price too!

Kevin

Old March 21st 05, 05:15 PM
Steve

I was dreading wet pavement performance when I put on BFG Muds, but I
have been since surprised at how well they hold on in the rain. Not one
scary moment with hydroplaning or broken traction.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org