'71 clutch shake.. help!

Old March 18th 05, 08:50 PM
js

Default '71 clutch shake.. help!

I have a '71 Stingray with LS-5 (454) motor and M-21 transmission. When
driving around, the clutch pedal vibrates. Also, when the clutch is pushed
in, no shake. At friction point there's vibration. When I have the tranny
rebuilt, the shop said it was probably just fingerprint on the flywheel or
something and that it'll go away. It hasnt gone away.... any ideas? It
doesnt seem like excessive vibration from the motor while idling....

Thanks!

Old March 19th 05, 12:56 AM
WayneC

js wrote:
> I have a '71 Stingray with LS-5 (454) motor and M-21 transmission. When
> driving around, the clutch pedal vibrates. Also, when the clutch is pushed
> in, no shake. At friction point there's vibration. When I have the tranny
> rebuilt, the shop said it was probably just fingerprint on the flywheel or
> something and that it'll go away. It hasnt gone away.... any ideas? It
> doesnt seem like excessive vibration from the motor while idling....
>

> Thanks!

Did the shop replace or inspect the clutch when they rebuilt the tranny?
Did the problem start immediately after they worked on it? Or before
they worked on it?

It sounds like the clutch may be wearing out, or they managed to soak
the clutch plate with tranny lube or used too much lube on the pilot
bearing when they were removing/replacing the tranny (which got forced
out onto the pressure plate), or the pilot bearing was damaged in the
R&R process.
Old March 19th 05, 02:41 AM
Nate Nagel

WayneC wrote:

> js wrote:
>
>> I have a '71 Stingray with LS-5 (454) motor and M-21 transmission.
>> When driving around, the clutch pedal vibrates. Also, when the clutch
>> is pushed in, no shake. At friction point there's vibration. When I
>> have the tranny rebuilt, the shop said it was probably just
>> fingerprint on the flywheel or something and that it'll go away. It
>> hasnt gone away.... any ideas? It doesnt seem like excessive
>> vibration from the motor while idling....
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

> Did the shop replace or inspect the clutch when they rebuilt the tranny?
> Did the problem start immediately after they worked on it? Or before
> they worked on it?
>
> It sounds like the clutch may be wearing out, or they managed to soak
> the clutch plate with tranny lube or used too much lube on the pilot
> bearing when they were removing/replacing the tranny (which got forced
> out onto the pressure plate), or the pilot bearing was damaged in the
> R&R process.

Or, if the bellhousing is not original to the engine, it needs to be
dialed in.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 20th 05, 11:51 PM
RobMStevens

Had a 67 GTO one time with a similar problem and it was because I used a
"rebuilt" cluth/pressure plate. Once I installed a "NEW" one, the problem
went away. Good Luck

Old March 21st 05, 03:30 PM
Tom in Missouri

If it is a new or rebuilt clutch, the odds of it being out of balance are
very good. Contrary to popular believe, they don't balance these assemblies
worth dog doo. If it vibrates at certain speeds worse than others and it
increases with speed, then take the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch
disk out and have a good machine shop balance the assembly.

Grease will only make them chatter when engaging unless there is so much, it
won't engage and is slipping. One way to check slipping is to get it in as
high of gear as possible, drive about 2000 RPM or less, and then floor it.
If the tach soars up and the speedo is not anywhere close to matching, your
clutch is slipping.

news

Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 03:33 AM
Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 14th 05 12:40 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
Clutch pedal effort on 96 Civic Udayan Bhapkar Honda 1 October 11th 04 02:24 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM