Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 27th 05, 10:19 AM
Nate Nagel

jaybird wrote:

> "L Sternn" > wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:15:24 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>>>I don't believe that anybody deserves to be treated with disrespect or
>>>hatred just because they are a LEO.

>>I agree, but jaybird's defense of this piece of **** is really making
>>me wonder why.

> I'll tell you exactly why. All you have to do is ask. The only thing I'm
> defending the cop for is against losing his job. I have said already that
> is comment was inappropriate and so was hanging up on the caller. I think
> 15 days off is more than appropriate punishment for an 18 year veteran with
> no record of previous disciplinary action.

Even when it quite possibly (for all he knew at the time) could have
resulted in the unnecessary death of a civilian?

I dunno, at my job, if I screwed up where a customer got ****ed off or
something I'd expect a stern talking to and maybe a couple days off. If
it resulted in someone's death, I'd *expect* to get fired, and indeed it
would be inevitable as the company would want to minimize its exposure
to lawsuits. Tenure is irrelevant - and that's the way it *should* be.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 27th 05, 10:20 AM
jaybird

"Timberwoof" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "B. Peg" > wrote:
>
>> > "jaybird" wrote:
>> > Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
>> > already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your
>> > cause, there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a
>> > spotless record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for
>> > making an inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.

>> What if you called 911 on your family member and got the same response?
>> "Oh, it's okay. He was just having a bad day. He was a good cop for so
>> long." Gimme a frickin' break!
>>
>> Fwiw, what relevance does a spotless record have? From your logic, then
>> why
>> arrest any first time offender? After all, they were good citizen for so
>> long.

> Ooooobviously, this is a compleeeetely different case. When a *citizen*
> commits
> a crime, that's always bad, and we should lock 'em up and throw away the
> key.
> Gotta pusnish them properly and make an example of them ti keeo everybody
> else
> in line.

Now back up just a second. If a citizen commits a crime for the first time
they don't lock them up and throw away the key. If it's an offense other
than a serious felony like murder, rape, etc., then the person doesn't
always get jail time. Most often they'll receive probation or a light
sentence.

> But when an Officer Of The Law makes a mistake, that's because they're
> only
> human, and we should have sympathy for all the stress they endure day in
> and day
> out.
>
> (For the irony-impaired, I was joking.)

Understood, but we're not asking for sympathy. Certainly discipline him but
don't fire him.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 27th 05, 10:21 AM
jaybird

"Bo Raxo" > wrote in message
news

> "jaybird" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tim Kreitz" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > Sign the petition to have him fired:
>> >
>> > <http://www.petitiononline.com/Peasley/petition.html>
>> >
>> > There are thousands of signatures thus far. Add yours and pass the URL
>> > along.
>> >
>> > My article:
>> >

> <http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/20...ists-cops-only
> -care.html>
>>
>> Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
>> already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your

> cause,
>> there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a spotless
>> record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for making an
>> inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.
>>

> If the trooper had just been having a bad day or this was otherwise out of
> character, I would think he'd have the sense to apologize. In person.
> How
> hard would it be to go down to the hospital and tell the injured man that
> he's sorry he was rude to the guy that called in the accident, and is glad
> the motorcyclist is all right? Maybe call the press and say the same
> thing?
>
> But I've news.googled and I don't see anything of the sort. Which makes
> me
> think this 18 year veteran of the force is a prick.
>
> BTW, "spotless record"? Perhaps, but you're just assuming.

Nope, not assuming. The report quoted his supervisors as saying that he had
no previous disciplinary action over 18 years of service.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 27th 05, 10:25 AM
Bo Raxo

"jaybird" > wrote in message

> Nope, not assuming. The report quoted his supervisors as saying that he

had
> no previous disciplinary action over 18 years of service.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but first, perhaps his supervisors are
covering their ass or trying to stick up for a colleague they like. Second,
"no disciplinary action" means they didn't punish him for anything. Doesn't
mean he hasn't been a rude jerk before, or that people haven't filed
complaints.

It doesn't ring a small little warning light that this trooper was on 911
operator duty? I don't know about other places, but my understanding in my
home town is that this happens when you've been restricted to desk duty, for
any of many reasons.

Old March 27th 05, 10:27 AM
jaybird

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>
>> "L Sternn" > wrote in message

m...

>>>I agree, but jaybird's defense of this piece of **** is really making
>>>me wonder why.

>> I'll tell you exactly why. All you have to do is ask. The only thing
>> I'm defending the cop for is against losing his job. I have said already
>> that is comment was inappropriate and so was hanging up on the caller. I
>> think 15 days off is more than appropriate punishment for an 18 year
>> veteran with no record of previous disciplinary action.
>>

> Even when it quite possibly (for all he knew at the time) could have
> resulted in the unnecessary death of a civilian?
>
> I dunno, at my job, if I screwed up where a customer got ****ed off or
> something I'd expect a stern talking to and maybe a couple days off. If
> it resulted in someone's death, I'd *expect* to get fired, and indeed it
> would be inevitable as the company would want to minimize its exposure to
> lawsuits. Tenure is irrelevant - and that's the way it *should* be.

I guess we'd have to put it into perspective then. His inaction was not to
deliberately kill someone. He had no idea the extent of the injuries, nor
were the injuries his fault. The guy could've died no matter what anyone
did which is pretty much what happened. At the most his inaction would've
delayed emergency response by the time it takes to make 3 phone calls but
his bosses were quoted as saying there was no delay.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 27th 05, 11:30 AM
Alan Baker

In article >,
"jaybird" > wrote:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> > jaybird wrote:

> m...

> >> I'll tell you exactly why. All you have to do is ask. The only thing
> >> I'm defending the cop for is against losing his job. I have said already
> >> that is comment was inappropriate and so was hanging up on the caller. I
> >> think 15 days off is more than appropriate punishment for an 18 year
> >> veteran with no record of previous disciplinary action.
> >>

> > Even when it quite possibly (for all he knew at the time) could have
> > resulted in the unnecessary death of a civilian?
> >
> > I dunno, at my job, if I screwed up where a customer got ****ed off or
> > something I'd expect a stern talking to and maybe a couple days off. If
> > it resulted in someone's death, I'd *expect* to get fired, and indeed it
> > would be inevitable as the company would want to minimize its exposure to
> > lawsuits. Tenure is irrelevant - and that's the way it *should* be.

> I guess we'd have to put it into perspective then. His inaction was not to
> deliberately kill someone. He had no idea the extent of the injuries, nor
> were the injuries his fault. The guy could've died no matter what anyone
> did which is pretty much what happened. At the most his inaction would've
> delayed emergency response by the time it takes to make 3 phone calls but
> his bosses were quoted as saying there was no delay.

You're a police officer, yet you seem strangely unfamiliar with the
concept of negligent homicide.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 27th 05, 01:58 PM
Nate Nagel

jaybird wrote:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>
>>jaybird wrote:

om...

>>>I'll tell you exactly why. All you have to do is ask. The only thing
>>>I'm defending the cop for is against losing his job. I have said already
>>>that is comment was inappropriate and so was hanging up on the caller. I
>>>think 15 days off is more than appropriate punishment for an 18 year
>>>veteran with no record of previous disciplinary action.
>>>

>>Even when it quite possibly (for all he knew at the time) could have
>>resulted in the unnecessary death of a civilian?
>>
>>I dunno, at my job, if I screwed up where a customer got ****ed off or
>>something I'd expect a stern talking to and maybe a couple days off. If
>>it resulted in someone's death, I'd *expect* to get fired, and indeed it
>>would be inevitable as the company would want to minimize its exposure to
>>lawsuits. Tenure is irrelevant - and that's the way it *should* be.

> I guess we'd have to put it into perspective then. His inaction was not to
> deliberately kill someone. He had no idea the extent of the injuries, nor
> were the injuries his fault. The guy could've died no matter what anyone
> did which is pretty much what happened. At the most his inaction would've
> delayed emergency response by the time it takes to make 3 phone calls but
> his bosses were quoted as saying there was no delay.

No, YOU need to put it in perspective. This is not a little screw up,
this is an action with life and death consequences. (yeah, we know that
response time "wasn't delayed" but it sure could have been.) The guy
needs to go. At the very minimum a permanent transfer to a position
that has no interaction with the public and no emergency response
involvement.

nate

Old March 27th 05, 03:19 PM
Nate Nagel

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 04:19:55 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>

>>>I'll tell you exactly why. All you have to do is ask. The only thing I'm
>>>defending the cop for is against losing his job. I have said already that
>>>is comment was inappropriate and so was hanging up on the caller. I think
>>>15 days off is more than appropriate punishment for an 18 year veteran with
>>>no record of previous disciplinary action.

>>Even when it quite possibly (for all he knew at the time) could have
>>resulted in the unnecessary death of a civilian?

> If I shoot you with a gun, that's Murder.
>
> If I shoot AT you with a gun, and miss, or if I hit you but you don't
> die, that's Attempted Murder.
>
> Different crimes, different punishments.
>
> If the civilian had died, then of course the trooper's punishment
> should be harsher than a mere suspension. The fact remains that
> emergency services were summoned with no reduction in response time,
> which lessens the severity of his offense.

I don't think a suspension from duty is appropriate even due to the
lesser consequences. It certainly wouldn't be in the private sector.

nate

Old March 27th 05, 03:33 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 07:42:18 GMT, Sir Lex > wrote:

>Car wrote:
>
>> From the Hartford Courant
>>
>> Trooper Suspended 15 Days
>>
>> Response To 911 Call Called Inappropriate
>>

>The officers response was extremely inappropriate, but seeing as had
>been in the force for 18 years without previous issues, the punishment
>he got was good enough. Firing him would be a knee jerk reaction. I
>don't know what US troopers pay is like, but I'd imagine three weeks pay
>amounts to well over $1000, which is a pretty significant penalty. I
>doubt he'll adopt an attitude like that again to any 911 caller.

I doubt he will, too.
I doubt he'll ever be a 911 operator again, regardless of whatever
punishment he gets.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 27th 05, 04:23 PM
Tom D

"Bo Raxo" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Tom D" > wrote in message
>> "Bo Raxo" > wrote in message
>> news
>> >
>> > If the trooper had just been having a bad day or this was otherwise out

> of
>> > character, I would think he'd have the sense to apologize. In person.
>> > How
>> > hard would it be to go down to the hospital and tell the injured man

> that
>> > he's sorry he was rude to the guy that called in the accident, and is

> glad
>> > the motorcyclist is all right? Maybe call the press and say the same
>> > thing?

>> Well, he'd have to apologize to the family since the motorcyclist died a
>> week after the wreck.
>>

> Yeah, it's not like he could make it to the hospital in a mere *week* .
> Sheesh!
>
> And don't tell me the patient was unconscious unless you know it for a
> fact.
> I was at the scene of a motorcycle crash where the rider died later that
> night, and he was conscious and talking lucidly while we waited for the
> ambo.

Don't know if he was concious or not, but just wanted to point out that he
wasn't all right. I don't disagree with your main point that if the trooper
was having a bad day and was sorry, that he should have apologized.

-=- Tom