Has anyone installed a Security Alarm

Old June 14th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Has anyone installed a Security Alarm

Hi there Peoples:
Well with an investment of a 06 Stang I'm looking into installing a
security system the one I'm tilting towards is a " Crime Guard 745i4 " which
has a motion sensor (this is a convertable) has anyone installed one of
these units. Or is there a until just as good but less expensive. I've done
some searching an not many that will accomodate a convertable.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-deaAf4s...p?i=514CG745I4

Lightnen

Old June 15th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I have an 88GT vert which was paid a visit by the 'SLA' (stereo liberation
army) many years ago. My response was to install a "Crime Stopper" paging
alarm system combined with a radar interior motion sensor. I would keep the
siren turned off when parked at the apartment and leave the pager on at my
bedside. This way if somebody messed with the car I could check and see
what was happening then call the police if necessary. All without the punk
not even knowing what was happening.

A couple of problems you will have when working with a convertible, you must
mount the radar sensor low inside the passenger compartment and aim it
towards the floor, otherwise it will trip when people walk by your car in
the parking lot, unfortunately this will sharply reduce the range and means
the thief will have already sliced your roof and be inside the car before it
trips, also if you have a power antenna for your radio you will need to buy
a separate, hidden, antenna for the pager. (One that sticks to the inside
of the windshield.)

Another trick I came up with was to use the ignition interrupt as a fuel
pump cutoff instead, the thinking being that the thief is wasting time
looking under the hood instead of the trunk.

Over the 18+ years I've owned my car it has ceased being such a tempting
target, nevertheless I still carry the pager around in the trunk and I take
it with me when ever I find myself parking in a questionable area. Still
comes in handy to this day.

Old June 15th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:56:54 +0000, KEITH MCCUMBER wrote:

> Another trick I came up with was to use the ignition interrupt as a fuel
> pump cutoff instead, the thinking being that the thief is wasting time
> looking under the hood instead of the trunk.

Best trick I heard of for keeping your car from being stolen was a switch
spliced into a critical line in the cable going to the ECM. Don't pick a
low voltage one like a hall effect or such because you might add too much
resistance and screw up the signal. Pick a RUN line or similar.

You can mask pins off with piece of paper on the connector until you find
one that keeps the car from starting.

Now here is the good part.....

Place the switch RIGHT ON THE DASH in the form of an option you don't have.

Example: You don't have fog light option so there is a knockout where the
switch would normally be.
Purchase an OEM fog light switch from Ford and wire the computer line to
it.
Hide the wires VERY CAREFULLY in an existing harness....

It won't save the car from being vandalized or towed, but the ignition
column crushers and computer hackers will be out of luck.
Old June 19th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I have an aftermarket immobilizer in my 93 now... it's unstealable,unless it gets towed. (I lost a 91 and a Bronco to thieves in two years previous.)

In the early days, i just used to pop the hood and unplug the coil wire from the distribtor cap and leave the factory plastic thing covering the cap in place. Looked 100% stock and ready to rumble, but never went anywhere. Maybe I'm underestimating the intelligence of car thieves, but you've got to be an idiot to steal a car already, so probably not.

Brad

"lightnen" > wrote in message ...
Hi there Peoples:
Well with an investment of a 06 Stang I'm looking into installing a
security system the one I'm tilting towards is a " Crime Guard 745i4 " which
has a motion sensor (this is a convertable) has anyone installed one of
these units. Or is there a until just as good but less expensive. I've done
some searching an not many that will accomodate a convertable.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-deaAf4s...p?i=514CG745I4

Lightnen

how-to disable/remove security alarm in early 99 jetta Jack VW water cooled 1 January 29th 06 06:34 PM
Help fixing a Code Alarm security system umpqua123 Technology 3 January 29th 06 02:27 AM
security alarm (factory) Tim Dodge 3 December 1st 05 05:10 PM
Stupid Viper Alarm Starter Kill won't let me start car after battery replacement.. HELP! [email protected] Technology 3 March 28th 05 04:08 AM
best car alarm or security system Honda CRV Cami Honda 9 November 20th 04 03:39 PM