What do I buy??

Old July 23rd 04, 02:41 PM
Jim

Default What do I buy??

Ok heres the story...

I just finished uni and landed myself a pretty decent job. At the
moment I drive a battered old escort so I'm looking for a new (second
hand) car. I really want a 147! I've seen a few on autotrader for
circa £7k, this is the absolute top end of my budget and I'd have to
get finance. My other option is to get and old 145 for £3k and save up
for a year and get the 147.
So what I want to know is;

What are the old 145s like, reliable?

Should I get a bottom of the range 147, or should I go for a mid
range much more dull car?

Does anyone want to sell me their 147 for £3k??

cheers
Old July 23rd 04, 03:35 PM
Simon C

I presume when you say 'mid range much more dull car' you are referring to
BMW, Audi, etc and not a 146 or other AR?

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

om...

Old July 23rd 04, 07:24 PM
SteveH

Jim > wrote:

> Ok heres the story...
>
> I just finished uni and landed myself a pretty decent job. At the
> moment I drive a battered old escort so I'm looking for a new (second
> hand) car. I really want a 147! I've seen a few on autotrader for
> circa £7k, this is the absolute top end of my budget and I'd have to
> get finance. My other option is to get and old 145 for £3k and save up
> for a year and get the 147.
> So what I want to know is;
>
> What are the old 145s like, reliable?

They're OK, so long as you get one with good history and check the oil
regularly.

Avoid the 'boxer' engined cars at all costs.

IMHO, you'd be _much_ better off going for a very late 155, they're just
'better' in all respects.

> Should I get a bottom of the range 147, or should I go for a mid
> range much more dull car?

Bottom of the range 147 will **** all over a mid-range mainstream car.
120bhp TSpark engine is a little gem - revvy, sounds lovely, and
'adequate' power.

I'd still go for an older 155 or something though.

> Does anyone want to sell me their 147 for £3k??

Heh. If they were that cheap we'd all have one ;-)

PS: Get some insurance quotes before deciding what to look at - a 147
will cost you a packet if you're in your early 20s, older stuff a
slightly smaller packet.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old July 28th 04, 08:56 PM
Ex Alfa Adam

> PS: Get some insurance quotes before deciding what to look at - a 147
> will cost you a packet if you're in your early 20s, older stuff a
> slightly smaller packet.

Good advice, but even after paying for the insurance on a V6 155 you'll
still have an insane grin whenever you drove.... (anywhere!) (Or try a
Lancia Dedra Turbo, if you can find a good one - Lancia even did a
'integrale' Dedra which is based on the 155)

Adam H

Old July 28th 04, 09:07 PM
SteveH

Ex Alfa Adam > wrote:

> > PS: Get some insurance quotes before deciding what to look at - a 147
> > will cost you a packet if you're in your early 20s, older stuff a
> > slightly smaller packet.

> Good advice, but even after paying for the insurance on a V6 155 you'll
> still have an insane grin whenever you drove.... (anywhere!) (Or try a
> Lancia Dedra Turbo, if you can find a good one - Lancia even did a
> 'integrale' Dedra which is based on the 155)

The Dedra Integrale was based on the Delta Integrale, wasn't it?

Just as the 155 Q4 was a reskinned Delta.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old July 29th 04, 10:45 PM
Neil G

My advice. Don't tiw yourself to a car for too long. Build your NCD and
subsequently age will follow by buying a number of fun, lower Ins group
cars. Then hit upon the Alfa. All the better for waiting IMO. :-)

Neil
156. God, it's good on the M3/A34 :-)