XDrive on '05 325xi?

Old January 31st 05, 03:39 PM
Bob

Default XDrive on '05 325xi?

Is the 2005 325xi "AWD" system the same as the X3/X5 XDrive?
Old January 31st 05, 05:42 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bob" > wrote
> Is the 2005 325xi "AWD" system the same as the X3/X5 XDrive?

No. The 325xi/330xi continue with the 33%/66% constant F/R split
system.

FloydR '01 330xi
Old January 31st 05, 06:44 PM
Robert La Ferla

Will there be a AWD E90? If so, will that have xDrive?

I saw an article that said "Like all modern cars these days, the new 3
Series is expected to be offered with an AWD package adapted from the X3
driveline at some stage in its life, which is also in addition to the
traditional rear-wheel drive setup."

http://www.webwombat.com/motoring/ne...series-e90.htm

BTW - The 2005 325xi has 38% front / 62 % rear torque split.

Old February 1st 05, 08:56 PM
Bob

And I was told by both my saleperson and service manager that the 2005
series 3 AWD *is* he same as the X3/X5...

Robert La Ferla
> wrote
in :

Old February 1st 05, 09:08 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bob" > wrote
> And I was told by both my saleperson and service manager that the 2005
> series 3 AWD *is* he same as the X3/X5...

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/330xiSedan does not confirm their
wishful thinking.

Floyd
Old February 3rd 05, 12:57 AM
330xi

3 series AWD is still the original AWD which actually is 38% front / 62%
rear and full time.

the xdrive being added to the new 5 series has been confirmed as the same
xdrive setup as the X3 and X5
with is infinitely variable front and rear

it is likely that the new 3 will receive this update as well but i have not
heard a confirmation of this yet.

. 14...

Old February 4th 05, 12:10 PM
Bob

Seems kinda strange that both salesperson and service guy would tell me
2005 325xi and X3/X5 AWD was the same... Makes me wonder what else they
said wasn't true...

Anyhow, assuming you guys are right and 325xi is "original" 38/62 system,
what are the Pros & Cons of this approach over XDrive?

Also wondering about things like... If I've got 2 back and 1 front wheel
on ice does the remaining traction wheel get "full" (100%) power as
needed?

Someplace I can get a better understanding in detail on how these systems
work?

"330xi" > wrote in
:

Old February 4th 05, 03:31 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bob" > wrote
> Seems kinda strange that both salesperson and service guy would tell me
> 2005 325xi and X3/X5 AWD was the same... Makes me wonder what else they
> said wasn't true...

Yeah, that's the whole problem with salesmen; they'll say anything to make
a sale.

> Anyhow, assuming you guys are right and 325xi is "original" 38/62 system,
> what are the Pros & Cons of this approach over XDrive?

The Pros revolve mostly around simplicity. The Automatic Differential
Braking
(ADB) is just another mode of ABS that stops spinning wheels, allowing the
opposite wheel on that axle to get torque. The fixed-split planetary
gearset
is light, simple and not likely to break (unlike the Torsen-like system it
replaced.)
The Con is that it's not really able to apply full engine power (DSC kicks
in
to prevent wheelspin), especially on dry roads which makes it not as
"performance-oriented" compared to Audi's system.

> Also wondering about things like... If I've got 2 back and 1 front wheel
> on ice does the remaining traction wheel get "full" (100%) power as
> needed?

It won't get 100%, since the torque split will prevent that, but it will
get torque (which Subaru & Audi can't claim.)

> Someplace I can get a better understanding in detail on how these systems
> work?

Best bet is old Car & Driver issues in the library.

Floyd

Old February 4th 05, 06:19 PM
Bob

Floyd,

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. I'll see what I can
find in Car & Driver.

In the meantime let me run this by you... The whole idea behind my
interest in a 325xi is as a safe replacement for my wife's FWD Passat
equipped with Michelin Alpins during the winter. We both really like the
VW 90% of the time but I'd like something a little better for her during
some of our pretty bad driving days here in Upstate NY.

How will the BMW 38/62 AWD system with manual transmission compare to FWD
in real world use? The 325xi I'm looking at comes with Pirelli P6's, will
I need to replace them with "winter" tires for snow & ice?

(BTW, isn't the DSC system "defeatable" via a dash switch which would
allow full power to any wheel?)

Thanx again,
Bob

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in
:

Old February 4th 05, 07:56 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bob" > wrote
> In the meantime let me run this by you... The whole idea behind my
> interest in a 325xi is as a safe replacement for my wife's FWD Passat
> equipped with Michelin Alpins during the winter. We both really like the
> VW 90% of the time but I'd like something a little better for her during
> some of our pretty bad driving days here in Upstate NY.

My 330xi has Pilot Alpine's on it! The car is way better in snow than
my wife's Toyota Highlander with all-season Toyo tires, or my T100
Truck. As long as it doesn't get high-centered, it's almost unstoppable.
It climbs the road to our vacation home (10:1 grade) with no problems
whatever. Directional stability is far better - it doesn't slew around
because the tread grips not only longitudinally but laterally (which
all-season's aren't very good at.)

> How will the BMW 38/62 AWD system with manual transmission compare to FWD
> in real world use? The 325xi I'm looking at comes with Pirelli P6's, will
> I need to replace them with "winter" tires for snow & ice?

See above. Although all-season tires are ok in snow (mine came with
Continental Contact all-seasons), the snows are far better. The BMW
system is designed to make the car drive more like a RWD than FWD.
You can kick out the rear end with DSC defeated, and it will kick a little
before the DSC catches it. The combination of snow tires, ADB and DSC
give astonishing acceleration in snow/ice conditions.

The difference in traction (on snow) between all-seasons and full-on snows
like the Pilot Alpine's is at least the difference between (performance)
all-seasons and "summer" performance tires. I have a separate set of
rims and tires for summer (325i sport package 7.5" rims with 225/45
Pilot MXM currently.) They add substantial handling improvements
on dry roads, at the cost of a little ride harshness and noise.

> (BTW, isn't the DSC system "defeatable" via a dash switch which would
> allow full power to any wheel?)

Yes, and you should do so if you're climbing steep hills and need full
power.
Evidently, pushing and holding the button for 3-5 seconds defeats the ADB,
too, although I haven't done that.

Floyd

bmw 325xi Marco D'Intino BMW 0 December 26th 04 11:23 PM
2005 325xi Maintenance Costs? Bob BMW 8 December 13th 04 01:54 AM
2004 325XI oil light yellow when ignition turns off Frank_Del BMW 8 November 19th 04 12:51 AM
WTB and Info needed: Parts for a 1991 BMW 325Xi VSAndrew BMW 1 September 29th 04 05:42 AM