ignition difficulty on my 1990 miata

Old August 22nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Trent[_1_]

Default ignition difficulty on my 1990 miata

I just bought a 1990 Miata and we are having problems with the
ignition key not wanting to turn over, the key acts like it's not the
right key, if you jiggle the key long enough, it will eventually turn
over...does anyone have any suggestion on how to loosen up the ignition
switch... thanks for any help... Trent

Old August 22nd 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dano[_1_]

Trent wrote:
> I just bought a 1990 Miata and we are having problems with the
> ignition key not wanting to turn over, the key acts like it's not the
> right key, if you jiggle the key long enough, it will eventually turn
> over...does anyone have any suggestion on how to loosen up the ignition
> switch... thanks for any help... Trent

Either your key or the switch is worn out... if you have more than one
key does one work better than the other? Try a new one from the dealer
- if that fails, it's likely you will have to replace the ignition
switch.

Old August 22nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"Trent" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I just bought a 1990 Miata and we are having problems with the
> ignition key not wanting to turn over, the key acts like it's not the
> right key, if you jiggle the key long enough, it will eventually turn
> over...does anyone have any suggestion on how to loosen up the ignition
> switch... thanks for any help... Trent

Amazing. That problem just started occuring on my '96. I figure we'll need
a new ignition switch.

Old August 23rd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Don't give up that easy! I've had success with several car ignition switches
by spraying lubricants into the keyhole. White lithium spray grease might
work nice but could be a bit messy in your pocket. WD-40 or a silicone spray
lube will usually work although you may have to redo it a couple of time a
year. Give it a shot, changing the ignition never sounds like a good idea to
me unless all else fails!

Chris
99BBB

Old August 23rd 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Justin Case

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> Don't give up that easy! I've had success with several car ignition
> switches by spraying lubricants into the keyhole. White lithium spray
> grease might work nice but could be a bit messy in your pocket. WD-40 or a
> silicone spray lube will usually work although you may have to redo it a
> couple of time a year. Give it a shot, changing the ignition never sounds
> like a good idea to me unless all else fails!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB
>
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Trent" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> I just bought a 1990 Miata and we are having problems with the
>>> ignition key not wanting to turn over, the key acts like it's not the
>>> right key, if you jiggle the key long enough, it will eventually turn
>>> over...does anyone have any suggestion on how to loosen up the ignition
>>> switch... thanks for any help... Trent
>>>

>> Amazing. That problem just started occuring on my '96. I figure we'll
>> need a new ignition switch.

a puff of graphite powder might just do the trick.

Old August 23rd 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
J Brockley

"Trent" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I just bought a 1990 Miata and we are having problems with the
> ignition key not wanting to turn over, the key acts like it's not the
> right key, if you jiggle the key long enough, it will eventually turn
> over...does anyone have any suggestion on how to loosen up the ignition
> switch... thanks for any help... Trent

Shot of WD-40 to free up tumblers should do it.

Old August 23rd 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Don't give up that easy! I've had success with several car ignition

switches
> by spraying lubricants into the keyhole. White lithium spray grease might
> work nice but could be a bit messy in your pocket. WD-40 or a silicone

spray
> lube will usually work although you may have to redo it a couple of time a
> year. Give it a shot, changing the ignition never sounds like a good idea

> me unless all else fails!

Replacing the ignition switch was a relatively easy job. You're not
changing the part where the key goes in, you're just changing the rest of
it. IIRC it only took me about 45 minutes, from start to clean-up.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old August 23rd 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> Replacing the ignition switch was a relatively easy job. You're not
> changing the part where the key goes in, you're just changing the rest of
> it. IIRC it only took me about 45 minutes, from start to clean-up.
>
> Iva & Belle.)
> '90B Classic Red.)
> #3 winkin' Miata

Iva, what part are you referring to?

I have always known the ignition switch as the assembly that surrounds
the steering column, attaches with self-shearing bolts, has a lock and
takes the ignition key.

Pat
Old August 23rd 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"J Brockley" > wrote:

> Shot of WD-40 to free up tumblers should do it.

Never, never squirt WD-40 into a lock. "WD" stands for "water
displacement." It is not a lubricant, and will turn gummy and attract
dirt. Use Dri-Slide or Lock-Eze, graphite suspended in a volatile
penetrating solvent.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 23rd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Pat wrote:
> Iva wrote:
>
> > Replacing the ignition switch was a relatively easy job. You're not
> > changing the part where the key goes in, you're just changing the rest

of
> > it. IIRC it only took me about 45 minutes, from start to clean-up.
> >

> Iva, what part are you referring to?
>
> I have always known the ignition switch as the assembly that surrounds
> the steering column, attaches with self-shearing bolts, has a lock and
> takes the ignition key.

There is a part of the ignition switch with contacts on it that can be
replaced separately from the part that takes the key. I'm not at home and
cannot look at my manuals right now but I'll be happy to check on same and
get back to you later today. I know that I have some .pdf diagrams on my
home computer that should show what I'm talking about here.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

1990 Miata - What's a "fair" price? Tom Mazda 13 May 11th 06 04:24 AM
AWA [OFFER] ignition cable, ignition cable set, auto parts [email protected] General 0 April 4th 06 07:52 AM
AWA [OFFER] ignition cable set, ignition cable [email protected] General 0 March 20th 06 12:51 PM
Gearbox in 1990 Miata Kenneth S. Mazda 2 March 14th 06 03:44 PM
Ignition Timing/Power on '90 Miata Robbi Mazda 6 September 21st 05 04:30 AM