E46 brake light issue

Old June 24th 05, 12:45 AM
Planar1

Default E46 brake light issue

The dash display on my 2001 330 ci (correctly) indicates my passenger side
rear brake lights are functioning intermittently. I have checked the bulbs
and cleaned the contacts. The wires seem to be fine with nothing obviously
broken or otherwise damaged. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the
problem might be ? Is this a known issue like my previous E36? TIA

Old June 24th 05, 05:32 AM
Marcia M

Check your brake light switch..I've worked for BMW for 8 years as a
Technical Service Advisor and have seen this problem alot....if you are
still within warranty take it to your dealership it is a covered item.

Old June 24th 05, 05:53 AM
Planar1

Thanks! I'll try that.

Old June 24th 05, 05:42 PM
Jeff Strickland

You said the message is correct, this means there is probably a problem with
the lamp itself. There could be a wiring problem, but I would suspect that
it is too soon for wiring issues to be showing up on your car.

Swap the lamp from one side to the other. If the lamp is the problem, the
message will switch sides too. If the message follows the lamp, the lamp is
the problem, if the message stays, then the wiring is the problem.

news

Old June 28th 05, 03:07 PM
Planar1

Are you sure? Does this switch have dedicated left and right circuits? I
would think that a bad switch would effect both sides equally. No?

"Marcia M" > wrote in message
> Check your brake light switch..I've worked for BMW for 8 years as a
> Technical Service Advisor and have seen this problem alot....if you are
> still within warranty take it to your dealership it is a covered item.

Brake pad worn, ABS light stays on. '96 BMW 318ti. Tim Zimmer Technology 5 May 16th 05 11:12 PM
Brake Light Problem on 2000 JGC James Jeep 11 April 29th 05 03:47 AM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
Intrepid brake light Dillon Family Chrysler 4 November 4th 04 10:37 PM