Shocks

Old July 17th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BAK

Default Shocks

Everything I find on shocks and suspension is for performance and handling.
Any body have any suggestions for shocks for improving ride for cruising?
I just bought a '95 two weeks ago and it seems like every bump I hit bigger
than a pebble goes straight up my.....seat. Is it normal for this car to
constantly feel like it is bottoming out?

Old July 17th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"BAK" > wrote in message
> Everything I find on shocks and suspension is for performance and
> handling.
> Any body have any suggestions for shocks for improving ride for cruising?
> I just bought a '95 two weeks ago and it seems like every bump I hit
> bigger
> than a pebble goes straight up my.....seat. Is it normal for this car to
> constantly feel like it is bottoming out?

Seems like you're describing two different symptoms. Could be the shocks
are shot, but I'd check your air pressure first. I wouldn't be surprised if
you found to be around 38 ppi and that would be the source of the problem.
Should be in the 26-30 range. I run at 28. Two different times I bought
tires the so-called "professionals" put in around 38.

Old July 17th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BAK

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message

> "BAK" > wrote in message
> > Everything I find on shocks and suspension is for performance and
> > handling.
> > Any body have any suggestions for shocks for improving ride for

cruising?
> > I just bought a '95 two weeks ago and it seems like every bump I hit
> > bigger
> > than a pebble goes straight up my.....seat. Is it normal for this car to
> > constantly feel like it is bottoming out?
> >

> Seems like you're describing two different symptoms. Could be the shocks
> are shot, but I'd check your air pressure first. I wouldn't be surprised

if
> you found to be around 38 ppi and that would be the source of the problem.
> Should be in the 26-30 range. I run at 28. Two different times I bought
> tires the so-called "professionals" put in around 38.

Thanks, that will be the first thing I check in the morning. I guess this is
one case where you ignore recommended tire pressure and go for what feels
right?

Old July 17th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Well, all you'd ever want to know is at miata.net but if you're mostly
concerned about ride, not handling, you may want to go with a simple OEM
replacement. However, most people get 'bit' by this little car and realize
it can relatively easily be turned into a real serious handling car. Not
much loss in ride quality soooooo, before you do something you'll possibly
regret later, think about KYB AGX adjustable shocks (or sim). Softest
setting is near stock, firmest setting is FIRM! Easy to adjust too.

My 2 cents,
Chris
99BBB

Old July 17th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article <0lCug.10684$PO.9778@dukeread03>, "BAK" >
wrote:

> Any body have any suggestions for shocks for improving ride for cruising?
> I just bought a '95 two weeks ago and it seems like every bump I hit bigger
> than a pebble goes straight up my.....seat. Is it normal for this car to
> constantly feel like it is bottoming out?

It likely *is* bottoming out, because the shocks are shot. The KYB AGX
is an adjustable performance shock, but the lowest setting is softer
than an OEM shock. If you shop carefully, you can find a price not much
more than ordinary shocks that will last only 1/3 as long.

The Miata is a sports car with fairly stiff springs and limited wheel
travel, so it's not going to ride like a sedan. However, there are a few
things that can cause a worse-than-necessary ride: heavy aftermarket
wheels, stiff and heavy tires, too much tire pressure (28 psi works well
for most people).

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old July 17th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dave[_3_]

In article <8PCug.10685$PO.8471@dukeread03>, "BAK" >
wrote:

>Thanks, that will be the first thing I check in the morning. I guess this is
>one case where you ignore recommended tire pressure and go for what feels
>right?

Not sure about '95's, but for the NB's 26 psi *is* the recommended
tire pressure. I run 28-32, as 26 just seems too low and my OEM
tires were quickly eaten up by 12,000 mi, mostly at low P's.
Old July 17th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dana Rohleder

Could certainly be the shocks, but could also be the tires. First, try
running at the Mazda spec for tire pressure. If things are still "shocking",
it is also possible that you are running exceptionally stiff tires, such as
high performance or run-flat tires. Also, if they are extremely low profile,
the ride will likely be harsh, even with the best shocks. Tires are also
shock absorbers, and the more sidewall, the softer the ride, with the
trade-off being slightly less steering response, etc. You may even prefer a
smaller wheel size to increase sidewall height, but you will lose cornering
performance. But I would change the shocks before I started changing wheel
sizes - that would be my last resort. Otherwise, a heavier, larger roadster
may be a better match for you.

Boreal
2001 LS 6 speed Silver/tan, Sport Suspension w/hard rear sway bar

Old July 17th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto[_1_]

i like all the responses that you have received so far and will add this...
on my '95 with 110k i didn't go for the kyb adjustable but rather installed
the basic but high quality kyb gr-2 shocks.
what a difference in ride. the set of gr-2 cost me $200 on ebay, $100 less
than the adjustables. but you also will need boots that include a bumpstops
and they are pricey at $25 each. my 95 had 110k on it when i replaced the
shocks and i suspect the shocks had never been replaced. they were
completely dead. no bounce at all from the shocks. the boot crumbled upon
touching them. looking back i now realize that my car did not have the big
between the top of the rear wheel and the fender that everyone talks about
on these cars with stock springs and shocks... now it does.

Old July 17th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"BAK" > wrote in message

> "Frank Berger" > wrote in message
>>
>> "BAK" > wrote in message
>> > Everything I find on shocks and suspension is for performance and
>> > handling.
>> > Any body have any suggestions for shocks for improving ride for

> cruising?
>> > I just bought a '95 two weeks ago and it seems like every bump I hit
>> > bigger
>> > than a pebble goes straight up my.....seat. Is it normal for this car
>> > constantly feel like it is bottoming out?
>> >

>> Seems like you're describing two different symptoms. Could be the shocks
>> are shot, but I'd check your air pressure first. I wouldn't be surprised

> if
>> you found to be around 38 ppi and that would be the source of the
>> problem.
>> Should be in the 26-30 range. I run at 28. Two different times I
>> bought
>> tires the so-called "professionals" put in around 38.
>>

> Thanks, that will be the first thing I check in the morning. I guess this
> is
> one case where you ignore recommended tire pressure and go for what feels
> right?

Not exactly. A tire pressure so high that you you can feel every pebble is
way higher that the recommended pressure. You should run close to the
manufacturer's recommended pressure, which on my '96 is 26. For some
reason, many people, including some so-called professionals, think you
should run close to the MAXIMUM recommended pressure indicated ion the tire.
That's wrong, not to mention dangerous.

Old July 18th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BAK

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message

> "BAK" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Frank Berger" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "BAK" > wrote in message

> > cruising?
> >> >

> >> Seems like you're describing two different symptoms. Could be the

shocks
> >> are shot, but I'd check your air pressure first. I wouldn't be

surprised
> > if
> >> you found to be around 38 ppi and that would be the source of the
> >> problem.
> >> Should be in the 26-30 range. I run at 28. Two different times I
> >> bought
> >> tires the so-called "professionals" put in around 38.
> >>

> > Thanks, that will be the first thing I check in the morning. I guess

this
> > is
> > one case where you ignore recommended tire pressure and go for what

feels
> > right?
> >

> Not exactly. A tire pressure so high that you you can feel every pebble

is
> way higher that the recommended pressure. You should run close to the
> manufacturer's recommended pressure, which on my '96 is 26. For some
> reason, many people, including some so-called professionals, think you
> should run close to the MAXIMUM recommended pressure indicated ion the

tire.
> That's wrong, not to mention dangerous.

Lowered the tire pressure this morning from 32 psi to 28. Seems to have made
a nice improvement. Will be pricing the shocks next. Thanks.

are my shocks dead? Greg Jeep 5 March 28th 06 10:11 PM
What's the optimum lenghth for shocks? fordcrew Ford Explorer 1 December 13th 05 04:38 AM
Grand Cherokee with KYB shocks nathantw Jeep 5 October 6th 05 12:44 PM
Monroe Shocks for 2000 JGC / Sensatrac or Reflex ?? Joe Jeep 1 June 20th 05 03:12 AM
2003 Ford Ranger Shocks and Tire Cupping Helvis Technology 7 February 27th 05 06:44 AM