the Sliding steel sunroof

Old February 19th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Cletus

Default the Sliding steel sunroof

Any body know anything a bout these? websites or whatever, The one
in this car I just bought works fine, but the seals are gone and just
because it hasn't rained lately doesn't mean it doesn't leak. any
resources anybody has would be appreciated. thanks.

Old February 19th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rob

hi,
i have one myself and its in the process of restauration.. (the whole car)
the weatherseals you can buy in a beetle-parts shop, but i have a question
too:
the water coming around the sliding-roof drains away via tubes in all four
corners, and as far as i can see just down into the side of the body!? is
this correct? cause it seems to me you create some rust like this fast.
cant find any info on this topic..

greetz,
rob

"Cletus" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old February 19th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Feb 19, 9:13 am, "rob" > wrote:
> hi,
> i have one myself and its in the process of restauration.. (the whole car)
> the weatherseals you can buy in a beetle-parts shop, but i have a question
> too:
> "Cletus" > schreef in ooglegroups.com...
>
> > Any body know anything a bout these? websites or whatever, The one
> > in this car I just bought works fine, but the seals are gone and just
> > because it hasn't rained lately doesn't mean it doesn't leak. any
> > resources anybody has would be appreciated. thanks.

It depends on the year. On my 74 super there are two drain holes in
the front that funnel the water down into the corners of the trunk
area via some rubber tubing. If the tubes are plugged(common
problem...) the water will pool up in the drain channel under the
sunroof panel and then start leaking into the car. What I did to fix
it is grab the tubes under the hood and pull them upwards so I could
get at the end and then I hit them with a bit of compressed air. A big
'plug' of leaves, dirt, dead bugs etc blew out and then it started to
drain normally. It is a quick and easy fix to an annoying problem.

The rear on the 74 super has a drain pan screwed to the rear edge of
the sunroof panel. It just funnels the water to the side so it can run
into the drain channel. I do not know if there are drain tubes in the
rear of the super beetles. I've never had the headliner out so its
hard to tell. Maybe someone else can answer that one. The sunroof
should not leak any water even if the seals are completely missing.

Chris

Old February 20th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mel P.

yes, there are tubes in the back. I re-did the headliner last year. I have
a photo of the tubes. If interested , let me know and I can email it.

--
Mel P.

77 Bug - stock FI
70 KG Cabrio
oups.com...

Old February 22nd 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

> ...then I hit them with a bit of compressed air. A big 'plug' of
> leaves, dirt, dead bugs etc blew out and then it started to drain
> normally.
> Chris

I don't know how many times I put an engine back in after it'd been
out for a while and find no fuel getting to the carb because of some
kinda bug making a "nest" in the fuel line. :/

Sounds like your idea would be cool since I figure it'll need to be
repeated ever so often during the summer at least?

Alvin in AZ
Old February 26th 07, 08:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rob

yup all correct, my problem is that i dont know where the tubes lead to
because as far as i can see they just end on the INSIDE of the body..
that seems strange to me as that will most certainly cause major corrosion
on the inside.
Anyone who knows how it is supposed to be?
thanks a lot for replying..

rob

> schreef in bericht
oups.com...
> On Feb 19, 9:13 am, "rob" > wrote:
>> hi,
>> i have one myself and its in the process of restauration.. (the whole
>> car)
>> the weatherseals you can buy in a beetle-parts shop, but i have a
>> question
>> too:
>> "Cletus" > schreef in
>> ooglegroups.com...
>>
>> > Any body know anything a bout these? websites or whatever, The one
>> > in this car I just bought works fine, but the seals are gone and just
>> > because it hasn't rained lately doesn't mean it doesn't leak. any
>> > resources anybody has would be appreciated. thanks.

> It depends on the year. On my 74 super there are two drain holes in
> the front that funnel the water down into the corners of the trunk
> area via some rubber tubing. If the tubes are plugged(common
> problem...) the water will pool up in the drain channel under the
> sunroof panel and then start leaking into the car. What I did to fix
> it is grab the tubes under the hood and pull them upwards so I could
> get at the end and then I hit them with a bit of compressed air. A big
> 'plug' of leaves, dirt, dead bugs etc blew out and then it started to
> drain normally. It is a quick and easy fix to an annoying problem.
>
> The rear on the 74 super has a drain pan screwed to the rear edge of
> the sunroof panel. It just funnels the water to the side so it can run
> into the drain channel. I do not know if there are drain tubes in the
> rear of the super beetles. I've never had the headliner out so its
> hard to tell. Maybe someone else can answer that one. The sunroof
> should not leak any water even if the seals are completely missing.
>
> Chris

sunroof shade - sliding back/forth Phil Schuman Jeep 1 June 5th 06 03:10 AM
sliding roof Ad VW air cooled 2 March 17th 06 02:59 PM
Ion Is Sliding Fast [email protected] Saturn 5 January 28th 05 09:02 PM
What's the value: 1977 Bus with large sliding sunroof, Westphalia equip. jbclem VW air cooled 0 December 1st 04 11:45 PM
For Sale '74 Silver Super Beetle Steel Sunroof Best Offer zoebe VW air cooled 0 October 24th 04 05:42 AM