Poor Starting - want ideas to debug

Old April 14th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dan 97

Default Poor Starting - want ideas to debug

Hi All,

I have a '97 Miata with nearly 250,000 miles. The car has trouble
starting now and I am looking for ideas on what could be wrong.

History:
Starter wasn't engaging well so I roll-started it for months. The
owners manual says not to do that since it may cause problems [does
anyone know what problems it causes?]. It did start getting harder to
start in this time period.

The following may NOT BE PERTINENT but I want you to have the details:
My water pump went out. I replaced it and the timing belt. I didn't
get the timing exactly right. It ran on poor timing for maybe 800
miles. The timing is now perfect.

The following is PERTINANT AGAIN:
When I replaced timing belt, with the timing now perfect, it started
very well. It started very well a couple times and then started
getting harder and harder to start.

If anyone can please tell me 1) what problems my roll-starting likely
caused and/or 2) what is the cheapest diagnostic tool to find out what
is going on?

Much Thanks,

Dan Steinke

Old April 15th 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

With 250,000 miles, I'd check the compression and do a leakdown test to see
if things are going to get expensive.
Next, I'd look to see if fuel was adequate for startup, assuming you have
already verified that the ignition is OK.
Since this can get involved, with an electric fuel pump, return line,
regulator, fuel pump relay, etc. the details should be looked at on
miata.net, usually in the garage section. Occasionally, a bad ignition
switch can cause an intermittent or no start problem. You have enough time
and milage for this to be a possibility.
I doubt that roll starting is related to your problems.

Old April 17th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

I agree with Chuck, I don't know of any damage that can be caused by bump
starting (as we've always called it).

Chris
99BBB

Old April 17th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> I agree with Chuck, I don't know of any damage that can be caused by bump
> starting (as we've always called it).

The only potential damage is to the front bumper and whatever it
strikes, if an inexperienced owner loses it when the engine fires. Or to
said owner if he tries to push the car himself, trips while hopping in,
and gets run over. Stupid pilot errors? Surely. But Mazda has to
disclaim the concept or face lawsuits.

If bump starting breaks something mechanical, it was ready to break soon
anyway. The stress isn't much more than a clumsy shift.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO

Poor hot starting auldyin Audi 4 February 19th 07 06:28 PM
Weird starting behaviour -- need ideas [email protected] Technology 3 July 12th 06 05:25 AM
Car turning over but not starting, or stalling as soon as starting Ed Honda 6 December 11th 05 08:12 PM
88 Fox poor starting Lambert Moonen VW water cooled 23 March 6th 05 07:00 AM