'88 Mazda 626 - clutch pedal stays down

Old April 15th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default '88 Mazda 626 - clutch pedal stays down

Hello. I have a 1988 Mazda 626. A few days ago, the clutch pedal stopped
coming all the way back up after I changed gears. For a day or so I could
change gears okay but not it's to the point where I can't change gears and
thus can't drive it.

A few questions I would appreciate any help on. Is this a hydraulic system?
The (1983 - 1990) Haynes book didn't mention any clutch master cylinder and
said it was all mechanical but the Chilton book did mention a clutch master
and slave cylinder. And if it is hydraulic, what's the clutch slave cylinder
do that the master cylinder doesn't?

And what's your best guess on what the problem is?

Thank you for any help you can provide! I wish you all a great day.

Tom

Old April 15th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Bill wrote:

> Hello. I have a 1988 Mazda 626. A few days ago, the clutch pedal stopped
> coming all the way back up after I changed gears. For a day or so I could
> change gears okay but not it's to the point where I can't change gears and
> thus can't drive it.
>
> A few questions I would appreciate any help on. Is this a hydraulic system?
> The (1983 - 1990) Haynes book didn't mention any clutch master cylinder and
> said it was all mechanical but the Chilton book did mention a clutch master
> and slave cylinder. And if it is hydraulic, what's the clutch slave cylinder
> do that the master cylinder doesn't?
>
> And what's your best guess on what the problem is?
>
> Thank you for any help you can provide! I wish you all a great day.
>
> Tom

My 86 B2000 had a clutch master and slave cylinder. Look by the
brake master cylinder. If you see another slightly smaller master cylinder with
a cap on the top to put fluid in, you found it.
It should have only a single pipe/line coming out of it.
When mine went, the slave cylinder on the bell housing was leaking.
Not sure on a front drive where the slave cylinder is. If you can find
the clutch master cylinder, follow the tubing to the slave.
The master pumps the fluid, the slave moves the clutch.

Bob

Old April 16th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Bill" > wrote in message
. net...
> Hello. I have a 1988 Mazda 626. A few days ago, the clutch pedal stopped
> coming all the way back up after I changed gears. For a day or so I could
> change gears okay but not it's to the point where I can't change gears and
> thus can't drive it.
>
> A few questions I would appreciate any help on. Is this a hydraulic

system?
> The (1983 - 1990) Haynes book didn't mention any clutch master cylinder

and
> said it was all mechanical but the Chilton book did mention a clutch

master
> and slave cylinder. And if it is hydraulic, what's the clutch slave

cylinder
> do that the master cylinder doesn't?
>
> And what's your best guess on what the problem is?
>
> Thank you for any help you can provide! I wish you all a great day.

could be low on fluid or a faulty slave cylinder (clutch plate control) or
perhaps your cable snapped or possibly the clutch disk collapsed <-- you'd
hear noise if this were the case!

You'll need to locate the slave cylinder if there is one - The slave
cylinders fluid reservoir is perhaps under the engine compartments hood -
slave cylinder is at the transmission!!

Old April 16th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"BOB URZ" > wrote in message

> Bill wrote:
>
> > Hello. I have a 1988 Mazda 626. A few days ago, the clutch pedal

stopped
> > coming all the way back up after I changed gears. For a day or so I

could
> > change gears okay but not it's to the point where I can't change gears

and
> > thus can't drive it.
> >
> > A few questions I would appreciate any help on. Is this a hydraulic

system?
> > The (1983 - 1990) Haynes book didn't mention any clutch master cylinder

and
> > said it was all mechanical but the Chilton book did mention a clutch

master
> > and slave cylinder. And if it is hydraulic, what's the clutch slave

cylinder
> > do that the master cylinder doesn't?
> >
> > And what's your best guess on what the problem is?
> >
> > Thank you for any help you can provide! I wish you all a great day.
> >
> > Tom

> My 86 B2000 had a clutch master and slave cylinder. Look by the
> brake master cylinder. If you see another slightly smaller master cylinder

with
> a cap on the top to put fluid in, you found it.
> It should have only a single pipe/line coming out of it.
> When mine went, the slave cylinder on the bell housing was leaking.
> Not sure on a front drive where the slave cylinder is. If you can find
> the clutch master cylinder, follow the tubing to the slave.
> The master pumps the fluid, the slave moves the clutch.
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob for replying and giving me excellent info. Take care,

Tom

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old April 16th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Backbone" > wrote in message

> "Bill" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > Hello. I have a 1988 Mazda 626. A few days ago, the clutch pedal

stopped
> > coming all the way back up after I changed gears. For a day or so I

could
> > change gears okay but not it's to the point where I can't change gears

and
> > thus can't drive it.
> >
> > A few questions I would appreciate any help on. Is this a hydraulic

> system?
> > The (1983 - 1990) Haynes book didn't mention any clutch master cylinder

> and
> > said it was all mechanical but the Chilton book did mention a clutch

> master
> > and slave cylinder. And if it is hydraulic, what's the clutch slave

> cylinder
> > do that the master cylinder doesn't?
> >
> > And what's your best guess on what the problem is?
> >
> > Thank you for any help you can provide! I wish you all a great day.

> could be low on fluid or a faulty slave cylinder (clutch plate control) or
> perhaps your cable snapped or possibly the clutch disk collapsed <-- you'd
> hear noise if this were the case!

It didn't happen suddenly so it's probably not a clutch disc callapse or a
snapped cable. The fact that it happened in a somewhat gradual manner (I
was able to use it for an hour or so the day before and a little bit on the
day that it eventually got to where I couldn't change gears) seems to
indicate it must be something related to the hydraulic system.

> You'll need to locate the slave cylinder if there is one - The slave
> cylinders fluid reservoir is perhaps under the engine compartments hood -
> slave cylinder is at the transmission!!

I'll check the level of the slave and master cylinder and fill it up if
either is low.

Thanks for replying and the great info you provided. Take care,

Tom